Addax seems to be highly respectful of Burn, as Sunny thought when she saw him "bowing and scraping behind Burn" in the Sky Kingdom. He is violent and aggressive, as he went into several extreme measures just to prove his loyalty to Burn. However, he seems to be very loyal and caring towards his family, wanting to trade in Sunny in order to reunite with them.
The Dragonet Prophecy
Sunny recalled seeing Addax at the feast Scarlet was hosting for Burn. Sunny stated that he was a bit of a tail-kisser, as Addax was noted to bow down very low to the princess as he saw her or talked to her. He didn't have his scar then, which is why Sunny did not recognize him at first in The Brightest Night.
Addax first appeared in front of Six-Claws, who was escorting Sunny to Thorn, and he questioned who she was. Six-Claws dismissed him, Addax watching them until they were out of his view. Sunny thought that he looked familiar, but decided that she would have remembered his scar.
He later deliberately set fire to the orphanage and claimed that there was a dragonbite viper to draw Thorn away from Sunny. While she was distracted, Addax used Ostrich, Six-Claws's daughter, as a bargaining chip. He offered her life in exchange for Sunny, who he wanted to give to Burn. Addax wanted Burn to allow him to return to her army and his family. After hearing this, Sunny agreed, but Six-Claws was reluctant to give Sunny up. Six-Claws eventually gave in, and Addax made up a lie for Six-Claws to tell Thorn, that Sunny decided she didn't want a criminal thug for a mother and ran for the hills. Sunny protested, telling Six-Claws to tell Thorn she was visiting her friends and would be back soon.
When Addax and Sunny arrived at Burn's stronghold, Burn was out looking for "a certain quintet of dragonets," and they were greeted by Smolder. Addax told him that he wanted his reward for capturing Sunny, but Smolder told him to wait in the barracks until Burn returned. It was never revealed whether or not Addax received his reward.
Thorn wanted revenge on Addax for stealing Sunny, but she defended him. Sunny told her that he had his reasons and that it wasn't worth it, saying "I'm alright, aren't I?"
Though not mentioned by appearance or name, the same feast Scarlet hosted in the events of The Dragonet Prophecy was shown. Addax was among the SandWings of the feast.
- "That's far enough, Six-Claws. Stop where you are."
- ― to Six-Claws (The Brightest Night, page 82)
- "Don't make a mistake here. My friends' tails are much closer to your dragonet than you are to me. If you attack, or even shout for help, she'll be dead in an instant. But this doesn't have to get all violent, Six-Claws. We want the dragonet of destiny. It's a simple, fair trade."
- ― to Six-Claws, about Ostrich and Sunny (The Brightest Night, page 83)
- "I was thrown out of her army, but my family wasn't. There are dragons there I need to get back to."
- ― to Six-Claws (The Brightest Night, page 83)
- "[Thorn] Doesn't have to know. Tell her this one ran off. Woke up, decided she didn't want a criminal thug for a mother, and flew for the hills."
- ― a lie for Six-Claws to tell Thorn about Sunny's disappearance (The Brightest Night, page 84)
- "Burn wants the dragonets pretty badly. She'll take me back if I show up with one of them."
- ― to Six-Claws (The Brightest Night, page 84)
- "But… my reward…"
- ― when Smolder takes Sunny away (The Brightest Night, page 95)
Present: Addax • Agave • Armadillo • Camel • Capybara • Cereus • Cobra • Dune • Horizon • Jerboa III • Kindle • Meerkat • Needle • Ocotillo • Ostrich • Palm • Parch • Prickle • Quicksand • Rattlesnake • Saguaro • Sandstorm • Sirocco • Six-Claws • Tawny • Torch • Viper • Vulture