Admiral, preferring the nickname Ad, is an adult male SilkWing who was introduced in The Lost Continent. He is the father of Luna and Blue, as well as the former partner of both Burnet and Silverspot. He is a flamesilk and was last seen enslaved in the flamesilk factory.
Admiral has shimmering blue-green scales, a hue somewhere between Blue's bright morpho blue and Luna's caterpillar green. His eyes are brown with a faint gold tinge to them, and he has darker purple streaks along his wings and matching spots of white on each one. He is mentioned to be quite skinny.
Admiral is a cheerful, naïve, upbeat, optimistic, happy-go-lucky SilkWing who tries to make the best out of even the worst situations, as he has no problem being held captive in the flamesilk factory. He is a rule-follower and is oblivious to the fact that he is actually a prisoner, believing that he and his coworkers are valuable employees for Queen Wasp, ignoring the power imbalance. However, Admiral isn't completely blind to this situation. He slowly and only semi-successfully attempts to get Wasp to improve the flamesilk factory by regularly sending her lots of letters that she rarely answers. He was also proud to be a father, excited to meet his son for the first time, and looked forward to meeting his daughter when she emerged from the cocoon. Admiral's over-optimism and ignorance of Queen Wasp's indifference towards the flamesilks cause him to overlook and have a biased view against some of the other flamesilks who don't share his optimism about being imprisoned. It is unknown if Admiral's ignorance of being imprisoned is out of stupidity or wishful thinking, as Blue states that the other flamesilks also behave oddly due to being imprisoned for most of their lives.
|Growing up in Hornet Hive, Admiral underwent Metamorphosis and emerged from his cocoon in the flamesilk factory. Later, he was sent out to Cicada Hive temporarily to have eggs with Silverspot and Burnet in the hopes of hatching more flamesilks before returning to the factory.|
The Lost Continent Prophecy
|The Lost Continent|
|Blue had various thoughts on his mysterious father, such as why Admiral was whisked off to another Hive before he could see his eggs, and how it was better that way because Burnet and Silverspot "loved each other more than they could ever love him." Later, when Blue was captured and imprisoned in the factory, he met his father, who was taking care of Luna's cocoon. After Admiral showed his son the dozens of letters he wrote to Queen Wasp, Blue realized he disagreed with Admiral's thoughts on the HiveWing rule and the other flamesilks. After Luna emerged from her cocoon, she and Blue told Admiral about their escape plan, hoping that he would want to escape with them. He refused and tried to sabotage their escape by calling out to the guards. However, Danaid started a shouting match involving all ten flamesilks, which helped Blue and Luna escape through the confusion and into the tunnels made by the LeafWings, which had been opened by Sundew with her leafspeak.|
|The Hive Queen|
|Blue mentioned him when he told Cricket that flamesilk doesn't burn after Metamorphosis.|
Admiral loves and cares for both of his dragonets. He welcomed both with open wings and defended them from Fritillary even after knowing their desires for escape. Though Admiral did not seem to understand his children's wishes and possessively wanted to keep them in the factory along with him, he still loves them and tried to keep them away from dragons he sees as potentially harmful (and in this case, Danaid).
The flamesilk factory is divided into factions. Danaid is on the opposite one from Admiral, so they have a hostile relationship. They frequently insult each other and are generally toxic towards each other. Admiral calls her dreadful after Blue talks to her.
Fritillary and Admiral strongly dislike each other, and they get into arguments frequently, which annoys the other flamesilks.
The flamesilk factory is guarded by a few HiveWing guards, Sandfly being one of them. They don't seem to have an openly aggressive relationship, but there is a power imbalance because Admiral is being imprisoned by her tribe.
Whitespeck is typically on the opposite side in arguments with Admiral, as are most of the other flamesilks; they are generally toxic towards each other. Admiral called him along with Clubtail and Danaid selfish ignoramuses who are wrong about everything.
Admiral seems to like Xenica, as she was a dragon he introduced his son to. He told Blue that she is very sweet and always has clever things to say about the others. Other than Blue and Luna, she is the only flamesilk Admiral seems to like.
- "We have such an important job, […] So important! When do you think she'll wake up?"
- ― Admiral to Blue (The Lost Continent, page 237)
- "I can't believe one of mine is flamesilk, […] And maybe both! Clubtail was taken out to have eggs a year before me, but neither of his had any flame whatsoever."
- ― Admiral to Blue, about him and Luna (The Lost Continent, page 237)
- "They're letters, […] My copies of them, obviously. I write one to the queen every seven days, outlining the current problems I see and offering proposals for fixing them."
- ― Admiral to Blue, about his pile of letters (The Lost Continent, page 238)
- "That's not true! And it would help if CERTAIN DRAGONS weren't such TROLLS about everything! As IF anyone would EVER believe that LESS citrus might be helpful! I swear, I think he sneaks over and reads my letters just so he can write one arguing for the exact opposite of anything I propose."
- ― Admiral to Blue, about the other flamesilks and his letters (The Lost Continent, page 242)
- "Danaid, stop poisoning my son's mind, he's on my side, not yours."
- ― Admiral to Danaid about talking to Blue (The Lost Continent, page 253)
- "Well, the queen doesn't exactly like to have SilkWings wandering around who know where this cavern is. But tell you what, I'll write her a letter! Or lots of letters! If you're not a flamesilk, I'll think of some very good reasons why you should go home. Don't worry. It might take a while. But then, maybe you'll want to stay? It's quite nice here. And this is where I am."
- ― Admiral to Blue when he asked what would happen if he wasn't a flamesilk. (The Lost Continent, page 257)
Admiral • Argus • Atala • Blue • Burnet • Cinnabar • Clubtail • Danaid • Festoon • Fritillary • Grayling • Heliconian • Io • Lappet • Luna • Morpho • Pierid • Silverspot • Swordtail • Tau • Temora • Tussock • Whitespeck • Xenica