Blaze is an adult female SandWing who was introduced in The Hidden Kingdom. She was one of the three rival sisters who fought for the SandWing throne during the War of SandWing Succession, and is well-known within Pyrrhia as being the silliest and least intelligent among them. She currently resides in the SandWing stronghold, and is happily uninvolved with the kingdom's royal affairs.
Blaze is weak, spacey, spirited, silly, happy, cheerful, self-absorbed, and braindead, caring more about her own safety than that of others. She is gossipy and curiously watchful, as well as unintelligent, and she only seems to care about keeping her scales polished and her gems sparkly. She has been described as rather air-headed and "about as smart as a concussed sheep." As soon as she could walk, she began following any dragon she could find who was wearing treasure, and had a knack for zeroing in on dragons who wore the most glittering jewelry. Much of her thoughts are dedicated to treasure, and she prefers the prettiest items, even if they are fake.
|After Queen Oasis was murdered by three scavengers, Blaze became embroiled in conflict with her two older sisters, Burn and Blister, starting a war over the throne involving nearly all of Pyrrhia. Blaze had the support of most of the SandWing tribe and had allied with Queen Glacier of the IceWings, who built her a fortress on the border of the Ice Kingdom. If she won the war, Blaze promised the IceWings a large area of land from the Ice Kingdom to where the desert starts. This was probably the only reason Queen Glacier allied with Blaze.|
The Dragonet Prophecy
|The Dragonet Prophecy|
|Blaze is mentioned by Burn in the prologue, saying that she "hates anyone younger and prettier than she is."
Blaze is also mentioned again later in the book, as Starflight unwillingly takes the role of her when the dragonets act out the history of the war.Queen Scarlet also comments that Tsunami and Clay probably aren't from Blaze's prison camps, saying that "prison camps wouldn't fit in with her 'everybody love me act.'"
|The Lost Heir|
|Blaze was mentioned multiple times while the dragonets are being asked who they think should be queen and while Coral and Blister talked about the war.|
|The Hidden Kingdom|
|Blaze first appeared when Glory and Jambu disguised themselves as IceWings in order to enter her fortress. They convinced her to come out to meet the rest of the dragonets of destiny. While she was outside, Deathbringer attempted to assassinate her (to get out of trouble for not killing the dragonets), but failed. In addition, it was revealed that she was in fact rather vain, but she was either generous or not very thoughtful about giving away a lot of her territory for an ally. She always assumed Queen Glacier would back her up in fights, as heard when she replied to Tsunami's question about if she could survive a challenge for the throne. She also claimed that she would be such a great queen that no one will even want to challenge her. In addition, Blaze was confident enough to tell the dragonets that if they said that she was queen, she would give each of the dragonets their own palace in the Kingdom of Sand. Blaze also did not know that the SkyWing from the prophecy was replaced by Glory before she met her.|
|The Dark Secret|
|Blaze stated that she was annoyed that Glory was more beautiful than her, and she was confused that Sunny was a little different-looking when discussing the dragonets of destiny with Queen Glacier. Glacier planned to eliminate the dragonets if they didn't choose Blaze.|
|The Brightest Night|
|In the prologue, Oasis ran into her daughters, Blister and Blaze, while going to check on her treasury. Oasis accidentally stepped on Blaze's foot and Blaze remarked about it in a dizzy, sleepy way. Afterward, Oasis thought about her, saying "She'd make a terrible queen, but she's an acceptable daughter."
The dragonets invited Blaze to come to SandWing stronghold through the use of a dreamvisitor so they could peacefully choose a queen, but the IceWings claimed that Blaze would not be present for the meeting, for her safety. However, the dragonets said that if Blaze is not present, she will forfeit her chance of becoming queen.
Blaze eventually arrived with Queen Glacier and watched in horror when Burn was attacked by a dragonbite viper, which was Blister's plan to get the throne without fighting her stronger sister. Sunny described that when the viper attacked, all dragons were screaming, but Blaze's scream was the loudest as if she had been bitten.
After Burn died, Blister told Blaze that they were to fight for the throne. Blaze pleaded to Queen Glacier, begging her to fight for her. Although Glacier had hoped for the extra land Blaze offered, she wanted to be just and fair. Glacier backed off, and Blister attacked Blaze, intending to toy with her before finally finishing her off. Blaze kept shouting and screaming, "Three moons! I'm bleeding!" when Blister made a tiny cut on Blaze's scales.While they were fighting, Sunny found the Eye of Onyx and presented it to Thorn. Blister tried to take it, but the enchantment turned her into dust, leaving Blaze as the surviving sister. Blaze then bowed to Queen Thorn, accepting her as the new SandWing queen.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|More information flying in soon…|
|More information flying in soon…|
|Darkness of Dragons|
|She was briefly mentioned early on as having said the school would be a disaster. Starflight remarked that Blaze was literally the least intelligent royal ever and it was impossible for anything she said to be true. Blaze appeared along with her brother, Smolder, to watch the challenge between Onyx and Thorn. She seemed shocked by the news that Onyx was Smolder's daughter, and was later forced back into the stronghold by the sandstorm. Her scream was again described as the loudest. During the sandstorm, she used a curtain to make herself a hammock.|
The Lost Continent Prophecy
|The Dangerous Gift|
|After Glacier asks her daughters to promise that they won't have their kingdom fight in a war similar to the War of SandWing Succession for the IceWing throne, Snowfall thought how Mink knew little about the War of SandWing Succession and wouldn't be able to name Blaze and her sisters since she was only two years old. She was also mentioned in Snowfall's last vision by Glacier, referring to Blaze as "a cheerful brain-dead goose" after flying back to the IceWing palace from a meeting with her.|
|Blaze was briefly mentioned when Quickstrike warned Deathbringer about trying to kill any of the SandWing sisters.|
|Blaze was seen walking directly into a sandstorm to retrieve her crown, which was said to have been a gift from her mother, Queen Oasis. She called Six-Claws a "big-shouldered big head" before he picked her up and brought her to safety. Upon being brought to safety, she burst into tears and called Six-Claws disgusting for his abnormal talons. Her father, Char, scolded her, and she complained and left the room. Blaze was brought up as an excuse for Blister not to have to fight Burn, saying that it would be unfair to exclude her from the decision of who would be Queen. When every dragon was looking at dead Queen Oasis, Six-Claws said she could be sleeping buried under fancy pillows or wearing fancy earplugs.|
Blister was fully willing to murder her younger sister in order to eliminate a possible heir to the SandWing throne.
Burn was fully willing to murder her younger sister in order to eliminate a possible heir to the SandWing throne.
Blaze depended on the IceWing queen greatly, and had a good relationship with her, though it was mostly due to the offer of land she gave to Glacier. Nevertheless, Blaze is quite thankful of her for looking out for her.
Blaze had a good relationship with her mother, as Oasis found her harmless and would not be able to get the throne. Despite this, her mother called her dizzy.
- "Is it about Queen Scarlet? […] Did we find out if she's dead? Are the SkyWings still following Burn? You know, if Glacier would let me go to the Sky Kingdom, I bet I could convince the SkyWings to switch alliances to us. I can be really convincing. Everyone likes me. […] I know what you'll say, […] What Glacier always says. Stay put and let her handle things. I know all that military stuff is too confusing for me. But I think I could be useful with the talking part. Other dragons like hearing me talk."
- ― about an "urgent message" (The Hidden Kingdom, page 133)
- "Well, bring them here, bring them here! […] We can have a feast! Or a party! We haven't had one of those in forever, because, you know, Queen Glacier disapproves of that kind of thing, but for something like this I'm sure we could! Oh, we'll definitely need more dried lizards. We even have a pair of scavengers we could share! Maybe we should roast a camel — one of them's a MudWing, right? He'd probably like that. We don't have anything for SeaWings… maybe Queen Glacier can send us some fish, or a penguin, or do you think she'd like a walrus?"
- ― about seeing the dragonets of destiny (The Hidden Kingdom, page 134)
- "Because I'm nicer and smarter and prettier than they are? […] Obviously? […] I mean, haven't you met them? Aren't they both awful?"
- ― to the dragonets of destiny, about picking her (The Hidden Kingdom, page 143)
- "Who cares? […] Don't even worry about it. I'll be such a great queen that no one will want to challenge me. There, that's an excellent plan. So how does this prophecy thing work? Are you guys going to kill my sisters? That would make my life much easier."
- ― to the dragonets of destiny, about becoming queen (The Hidden Kingdom, page 144)
- "Shouldn't we do that anyway? […] I mean, he did try to kill me. Queen Glacier will be so mad. This one time, a SkyWing flew all the way here and nearly got me while I was getting some sun and Glacier literally ripped off his wings before she killed him. It was really gross but also kind of sweet, you know, like she really cares about me."
- ― about killing Deathbringer (The Hidden Kingdom, page 152)
- "It was delightful to meet you, […] Even if you are missing a SkyWing. And some of you are a little funny-looking. I promise you'll be pleased if you choose me. […] I can offer you whatever land you want. You could each have land enough for a palace of your own!"
- ― to the dragonets of destiny, about choosing her as queen (The Hidden Kingdom, page 153)
- "My neck hurts. […] Ow. Do you think it's going to scar? I'll be so mad if it scars."
- ― to Glacier, after Deathbringer attacked her (The Dark Secret, epilogue)
- "That's what it sounded like, […] But more important, that NightWing tried to kill me! You're going to kill him, right?"
- ― to Glacier, about Deathbringer (The Dark Secret, epilogue)
- "They seemed nice, […] Some of them were a little funny-looking. And I still don't understand what that RainWing was doing with them. Besides, she was a little too pretty. I think it's better to be just the right amount of pretty, don't you? Too pretty is annoying."
- ― to Glacier, about the dragonets of destiny (The Dark Secret, epilogue)
- "But they can't possibly choose her now that they've met me! […] Now they know I'm wonderful and would make a great queen! They'll definitely pick me."
- ― about the dragonets of destiny choosing her (The Dark Secret, epilogue)
- "Three moons, it's bleeding! I'm bleeding!"
- ― when Blister attempted to kill her (The Brightest Night, page 287)
- "To get my favorite crown. Don't you try to stop me, you big-shouldered bighead! […] I'm going to get it back, because it's MINE and Mommy gave it to me. Unless you go get it for me. Ooo, that sounds like a good idea."
- ― to Six-Claws (Deserter)
- "SIX-Claws? Ew! Three moons! You really do have six claws on each foot! That's so weird! I can't believe you touched me with those! […] Yeeeeeeee, I'm so glad I have the right number of claws."
- ― to Six-Claws (Deserter)
- She is the only sister out of the three that has not been mentioned to have killed anyone.
- It is stated that Blister had no scars unlike her sisters, thus indirectly saying that Blaze has at least one scar. However, The Hidden Kingdom states that Blaze has unscathed scales.
- When asked about what happened to Blaze after the War of SandWing Succession, Tui stated Blaze is in the SandWing stronghold with Thorn and Smolder. She wants to be happy, safe, and surrounded by pretty, peaceful things more than she wants to be queen.[event 1]
- As a young dragonet, Blaze would draw tiaras in the margins of her history scrolls.
Present: Addax • Agave • Armadillo • Camel • Capybara • Cereus • Cobra • Dune • Horizon • Jerboa III • Kindle • Meerkat • Needle • Ocotillo • Ostrich • Palm • Parch • Prickle • Quicksand • Rattlesnake • Saguaro • Sandstorm • Sirocco • Six-Claws • Tawny • Torch • Viper • Vulture