Bryony is an adult female LeafWing who was introduced in The Poison Jungle. She is a part of the LeafWing rebellion, led by Commander Belladonna and Hemlock. The prologue of The Poison Jungle is from her perspective, and she helped orchestrate the Burning of Bloodworm Hive. She currently resides in Pantala, and is in a relationship with Grayling.
Bryony has green wings.
Bryony is quiet and worried. Like most PoisonWings, Bryony is fiercely in opposition to the HiveWings, claiming that they murdered and stole all the LeafWing trees. Bryony has a bitter sense of humor, and originally did not care about the SilkWings at all, thinking them as weak and pathetic. After meeting Grayling and the rest of the Bloodworm Hive Chrysalis, she changed her mind greatly and felt remorseful over some of her violent thoughts.
The Lost Continent Prophecy
Bryony appeared in the prologue of the book, getting ready to burn down Bloodworm Hive. She was with two other LeafWings, Hemlock and Pokeweed, and the SilkWing Grayling. While getting ready she mocked and laughed about how the HiveWings took all the trees then decided to make little houses to grow plants, with Pokeweed and Hemlock ignoring this.
One of Snowfall's visions were in Bryony's point of view. Bryony, along with her companions, were fleeing in fear from the empty Hives. Snowfall is then shown feeling strongly after the vision because of Bryony's love for her companion Grayling.
Bryony is in love with Grayling, and he thinks she is a hero. She would protect him at all costs, and they are physically affectionate towards one another. Bryony is reassuring towards him and feels affection towards him, believing him to be special and beloved.
Bryony describes Hemlock as "stoic and boring." However, she seems to respect him more than Pokeweed.
Like Hemlock, Bryony thinks of Pokeweed as "stoic and boring." She seems to be competitive with the male LeafWing, jumping to do things before he can.
At one year older than her, Bryony and Sundew grew up with each other. When Sundew told her about the Chrysalis, she thought the younger LeafWing was insane.
- "I think it's kind of funny how all the Hives have greenhouses, […] It's like, the HiveWings wiped out all the trees thinking they were sooo clever, and then after they were done, they realized, oops, plants are kind of useful, actually; maybe we should make some little houses and grow a few. […] Easy enough once they also stole the SilkWings' fire, I guess."
- ― about the greenhouses (The Poison Jungle, prologue)
- "We're not going to set the webs alight on purpose. But if the Hive burns down like we're hoping…"
- ― to Grayling about the SilkWing webs burning (The Poison Jungle, prologue)
- "That works for me. Sorry about burning down your home."
- ― to Grayling about being friends (The Poison Jungle, prologue)
- "We found some underground caves to hide in for a few days. Belladonna said we had to lie low so we wouldn't lead Wasp back to anyone else."
- ― about where they'll hide (The Poison Jungle, prologue)