Carnelian was a female SkyWing who was introduced in Moon Rising. A former soldier under Ruby in the War of SandWing Succession, she later attended Jade Mountain Academy as a member of the Jade Winglet. She was unintentionally killed by a dragonflame cactus explosion caused by Sora soon after arriving at the academy.
Carnelian preferred combat and was disinterested in education and making friends, and she saw school as a punishment rather than a reward. She did not like other dragons, specifically those from other tribes and rarely interacted with them positively, Umber being an outlier because their tribes were allied in the war. She would look down on others by judging them and evaluating their worth based on their battle prowess. Carnelian was violent and aggressive, as she got into a fight on her first day of school. Her dreams were often "belligerent and blood-soaked" and seemed to have involved war and enemy soldiers. She often wished that Queen Ruby would let her drop out of Jade Mountain Academy and send her back to the SkyWing army, since she wanted to become a general and protect the palace. Carnelian was incredibly loyal to the queen and stated she would kill Scarlet herself in order to protect the throne. Despite her harsh exterior, deep down Carnelian was truly insecure. She worried everyone else would think that she was dumb and that her chance at meeting her life goals would be ruined.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|Carnelian was first shown fighting with Pike, broken up by Clay, before stomping off to her cave. Moonwatcher saw Carnelian in the sleeping quarters and realized that the SkyWing would rather fight in battles than go to school with other tribes by reading Carnelian's mind. When Carnelian first met her clawmates, she refused to tell them her name. Kinkajou jokingly suggested they call her "Friendly" or "Squelch" until they discovered her real name, which angered Carnelian enough to a point where she immediately left the cave as a result. Carnelian complained about how Kinkajou talked all day, and Moon yammered all night, and she glared at Flame due to his past involvement with the Talons of Peace. When Peril entered the mountain, Moon looked for the calmest mind during the arrival. Moon unexpectedly found that it was Carnelian's, as the SkyWing was wondering if Peril remembered her. Later, Moon and Qibli tried to stop her, unsuccessfully, from going into the history cave, but Carnelian ignored them and walked in anyway. Carnelian was in the history classroom when the dragonflame cactus went off, as well as Tamarin and Bigtail. Peril dragged Carnelian's scorched body from the fire in the history cave, trying to save her. The scorched talon prints Peril left would later lead to Peril being accused. Winter also tried to save Carnelian; however, both were unsuccessful. Clay confirmed Carnelian to be dead. Sometime later, her body was taken to a cave high up on the mountain, as SkyWing tradition requires, and for Queen Ruby to come and bring it back to the Sky Kingdom.|
|Queen Ruby came to the Jade Mountain Academy to pick up Carnelian's body, which was wrapped in white silk and laid in a cavern on the highest peak of the mountain. Peril said that she had gone up there at night before, but never during the day. She thought it looked like a place where a spirit could be released and that the wind blowing the white silk almost made it look as if Carnelian were still breathing. Peril felt remorse for her tribemate's death and wished she could've done more to save her. Ruby and several of her subjects argued with Clay, Tsunami, and Sunny over whether Peril was responsible for Carnelian's death; Ruby and the SkyWings were sure that she was, while the three teachers stood by the fact that she wasn't. Clay also pointed out that Peril had tried to save Carnelian, which Ruby found difficult to believe.|
|Darkness of Dragons|
|Carnelian was mentioned briefly in Moonwatcher's thoughts about how she misses the past members of the Jade Winglet.|
She was one of the few dragonets who was not afraid of Peril when she showed up at the academy, instead wondering if she remembered her from the Sky Kingdom.
Carnelian was extremely loyal to Queen Ruby and even said she would kill Scarlet herself to protect her queen's throne. Moon saw from reading Qibli's observant mind that Carnelian was secretly worried that Ruby and the others would think she was dumb, and all of her hopes of advancing to General would be ruined.
Carnelian detested Scarlet and believed her to be dead. However, if she found out that Scarlet was alive, she was willing to kill the ex-Queen herself in order to protect Ruby.
- "I might literally die of joy."
- ― sarcastic comment after Kinkajou proposed they hang paintings in their sleeping cave (Moon Rising, page 24)
- "I'm a warrior. […] A loyal soldier in Ruby's army, who never did anything to deserve this … this punishment of schooling and being forced to live with Ditzy and Mumbles over there."
- ― thinking about school, Kinkajou and Moonwatcher respectively (Moon Rising, page 25)
- "I'm a loyal subject of Queen Ruby. I'm in the camp that believes Queen Scarlet is dead, and if she isn't, I'd be happy to kill her to protect my queen's throne. I'm here because my queen told me to be, although I should be training with my battalion and guarding her palace, not eating wet fish with a bunch of spineless dragonets. And my favorite color is red."
- ― when asked to introduce herself by Tsunami (Moon Rising, page 81)
- "I'm with igloo-face, […] If we're supposed to get all snuggly with each other, there shouldn't be any more secrets. Let's make her tell us everything."
- ― to the Jade Winglet about Moonwatcher, agreeing with Winter (Moon Rising, page 91)
- "She won't hurt me. I wonder if she remembers me."
- ― thinking about Peril (Moon Rising, page 133)
- Her favorite color was red.
- Qibli suspected that Carnelian was afraid of everyone believing she was stupid and that she might not advance to General. He thought that she only felt confident when fighting, which proved to be true when Moonwatcher read her mind.