Chameleon is an adult male RainWing who was introduced in Escaping Peril. He hatched with an incurable snout deformity that disallowed him to sleep for more than an hour at a time, inhibiting the RainWing ability to change scale colors.
After being banished from the Rainforest Kingdom, Chameleon found Darkstalker's scroll. Using its magic, Chameleon created new physical forms: Bog the MudWing, Cirrus the IceWing, Shapeshifter the NightWing, and Soar the SkyWing. He possesses a different shape for every dragon tribe of Pyrrhia.
After the events of Escaping Peril and Darkness of Dragons, Chameleon no longer owns Darkstalker's scroll or the scraps of parchment that allow him to transform into his other forms. His current location and status is unknown.
Chameleon has scales that are lime and yellowish-green, the color of jungle parakeets. He is skinny, with narrow shoulders, a deformed snout, and several rings around his claws. He is much scrawnier and less intimidating in comparison to his other shapes.
Bog has mud-brown scales and is almost completely covered in different kinds of jewelry: gold chains around his neck that dangle from an elaborate ruby-encrusted headpiece clashing with the rows of silver, emerald, and topaz earrings in each ear; silver chain mail studded with sapphires on his chest; golden silk veils wreathing his wings; giant bejeweled rings on his talons; and a gold tail band shaped to look like dragon claws clutching every inch of his tail, each claw tipped with a sapphire. He also wears a pouch tied firmly under one of his wings where he keeps his pieces of Darkstalker's scroll.
Cirrus has silvery-white scales and wings and pale purple underscales. His eyes are cold and snakelike, and he has a voice like icicles dripping. He is quite a bit bigger than Winter and fiercely thin, with claws that look even sharper than normal IceWing claws.
Shapeshifter has black scales and narrow black eyes. He is quite large, with sharp talons. He wears a mess of dark jewelry and compact iron boxes on chains, including a case holding Darkstalker's talisman around his chest. He has extra strength, extraordinarily hot fire, and invulnerable scales. He wears three bracelets, a ring, an a couple of necklaces.
Soar has warm golden-orange scales, orange wings, and amber eyes. He has no visible scars, long horns with faint golden markings on them, and a deeper, stronger voice than that of Chameleon. He also looks wealthier than the average SkyWing: he wears gold rings on three of his claws, a black necklace with gold spikes circling his throat, and an armband weaving like a snake all the way up one of his forelegs, with tiny rubies glittering like eyes at one end. He has a black metal sheath fitted tightly across his chest with a padlock on the outside, containing a small pouch full of coins or jewelry, and a piece of Darkstalker's scroll wrapped in black leather binding. He is large and strong-looking.
Chameleon was a lot grumpier than other RainWings. One of the RainWing healers said that he was horrible and that they would wake up from suntime to find Chameleon just staring at them, as he rather hated other RainWings. Scarlet described him as strange and unreliable. He has a fierce anger in his eyes, and is aggressively protective towards his animus-touched personas.
Chameleon is shown to be practically obsessed with treasure, working in great lengths to supply himself with the most riches, even working with dangerous leaders like Vulture and ex-Queen Scarlet. When he met Peril, he was said to be surprised and even supposedly happy to meet his daughter. In the end, it was shown that he is very selfish, greedy, and deceiving, working for Scarlet so he could acquire treasure as payment for his services.
Despite this, Peril believed that Chameleon had a part of him that wanted to accept her as part of a family. He is often angry and avaricious, unable to resist the lure of any treasure.
|At an unknown point in time before the series, Chameleon was banished from the Rainforest Kingdom because of his inability to change the color of his scales, which made the other RainWings "uncomfortable." This came from a snout deformity that stopped him from sleeping for more than an hour. The lack of sleep made it so that he couldn't change his scales' color, which had also affected his personality. This lead to many of the RainWings thinking he was creepy, different, and weird. Sometime afterwards, he found Darkstalker's Scroll and got someone to teach him to read. By reading some of what was written on the scroll, Chameleon figured out what it could do and learned how to write. Using the scroll, Chameleon created many shapes for himself. He moved into the Sky Kingdom and helped Queen Scarlet spy on the Talons of Peace as Cirrus. While he served Scarlet, he made a Pyrite mask to hide Hailstorm for Scarlet. As a SkyWing, he fathered Peril and Sky with Kestrel in the breeding program, but Scarlet told him that both of his dragonets were dead, and so Chameleon didn't know that Peril was his daughter until the eighth book, Escaping Peril.|
The Dragonet Prophecy
|The Lost Heir|
|Chameleon, disguised as Cirrus, was part of Nautilus' group that found Webs after the SkyWings abducted the dragonets of destiny. He demanded Webs to tell them how the SkyWings found them, and Webs explained the dragonets' plans to escape and how it was played out. Cirrus asks why they had anything to do with the SkyWings, and Webs simply said that they followed Tsunami and Clay back to the opening of the cave. Cirrus was enraged because he knew they wouldn't be able to survive ex-Queen Scarlet's arena. When Webs suggested that the Talons attack the SkyWings, Cirrus hinted that there were only about forty members of the Talons of Peace, while there were countless SkyWings. Nautilus mentioned his backup plan and said that Webs would be a problem, in which Cirrus pinned him down, stating that Webs had failed them. He was instructed to kill Webs because of the SeaWing's lack of knowledge of the Talons of Peace's backup plan and allowing the dragonets to escape. He also seemed to take morbid pleasure in the idea of killing the confused SeaWing, stating that he would feed Webs' heart to the fish. However, both he and Nautilus were thwarted and knocked out when Crocodile tackled them, which allowed Webs to escape the execution attempt. This hinted heavily that Crocodile wasn't working for the Talons of Peace after all and had no problem betraying them.|
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|As the NightWing known as Shapeshifter, Chameleon spoke with ex-Queen Scarlet in the epilogue, holding and tapping Darkstalker's scroll.|
|A RainWing who couldn't sleep because of a snout deformity or change their scale color was mentioned by Bullfrog, a RainWing healer when Winter was visiting Glory. He was also said to have watched other RainWings in their sleep. This was the description of Chameleon.
Winter, Qibli, Kinkajou, and Moonwatcher later went to the Talons of Peace to find a SkyWing that could help them locate the mountain that Moon saw in Icicle's dream when Scarlet visited her. Upon their arrival, they found a dragon named Pyrite, and Chameleon, disguised as Cirrus, did not want them to take her. Winter thought maybe Pyrite was an animus. Cirrus wanted to reintroduce the magic back into the IceWing bloodline, but forgot the idea when he noted that he showed no sign of returning to the Ice Kingdom. Winter also noted that he and Cirrus should have recognized one another, as he was royalty. Winter asked if Cirrus knew his parents, Narwhal and Tundra, and Cirrus said he might.
Later, on the way to Winter and Hailstorm's Diamond Trial, Queen Glacier said to Winter, "We haven't had a Cirrus in many years," and says she would look into the matter, claiming that he may have been on the outside of the kingdom and therefore didn't have a rank on the IceWing wall.Wearing his NightWing mask Shapeshifter, Chameleon was overheard by Moonwatcher, Winter, and Qibli talking to Scarlet. He later went to the dragonets' camp to retrieve Pyrite and attacked Kinkajou, smashing her into a tree and leaving her in a coma. It is mentioned in Escaping Peril that he did this because of his grudge against the RainWings. He failed to capture Pyrite and leaves with his eyes burned and frozen by Moon and Winter, although it healed when he changed shape.
|As Cirrus, Chameleon stopped Peril and Turtle on their adventure with the Talons of Peace. When Avalanche mentioned Kestrel in a speech she gave about how she wanted to kill Peril when she was a dragonet, Cirrus asked questions about Kestrel and found out that Peril was Kestrel's daughter.
Later, Turtle saw a dragon, most likely Chameleon, diving into the forest behind him and Peril. The next morning, Turtle found talonprints that didn't belong to him or Peril beside their sleeping spot. They likely belonged to Chameleon. When Peril and Turtle flew away, Peril spotted Chameleon in his NightWing form staring at her.
As Peril perched on the sandstone formation outside of Possibility, a large SkyWing came flying towards her but was distracted by Winter and Foeslayer's arrival. After Winter and Peril's fight, Peril flew away from the scene, and the SkyWing started flying with her. He told her his name was Soar and then revealed that he was her father. Ex-Queen Scarlet joined them, and the SkyWing informed Peril that he was a RainWing named Chameleon. He offered her a gift of a strange necklace that he claimed would cancel the effects of her firescales. Peril accepted the gift, but unknown to her, it was also rigged with a loyalty enchantment to Scarlet, and it made her forget Clay.
When Ruby/Tourmaline retook the throne, a guard came running, saying that a NightWing had appeared inside the throne room. This was Chameleon in his NightWing form.Peril and the Jade Winglet confronted Chameleon, but found he was too powerful for them to take on. Turtle used his magic to steal his scroll, smashing it onto Chameleon's face, injuring him severely. Peril cried out for the dragonets to stop, believing that Chameleon did not deserve his punishment no matter what he have done. The dragonets then ran away, leaving Chameleon with his shapes.
|Talons of Power|
|Turtle had memories about beating up Chameleon, worrying that he had damaged his soul.|
|Darkness of Dragons|
|Chameleon, disguised as a MudWing named Bog, appeared as a false hostage in Vulture's lair. He told Qibli and Winter that the MudWings were causing the explosions in the SandWing kingdom and preparing to start a war, though Qibli could tell that he was lying.
Later, when Qibli, Winter, Cobra, and Ostrich were trying to escape Vulture's compound, they ran into Bog as Winter was attempting to free Vulture's scavenger prisoners. He asked what they were doing and recognized them from his time as Shapeshifter. Qibli and Winter tried to fight him, but he threatened to kill the scavenger if they didn't let him go. Winter did not continue fighting after that. Qibli and Winter then managed to get back to Cobra and Ostrich.Bog later appeared in the Night Kingdom, and Kinkajou, who was investigating the area, started to "stealthily" follow him. Bog walked into a room and closed the door, later coming out as Chameleon's superpowered NightWing form, Shapeshifter. Kinkajou relayed this information to Qibli, who quickly realized that the two dragons were Chameleon, and most likely arrived with Vulture. Qibli and Kinkajou devised a plan to steal Chameleon's pieces of Darkstalker's Talisman. Qibli walked up and acted as a distraction, while Kinkajou grabbed Chameleon's earring, which had the pieces of talisman in it. Qibli quickly told off Chameleon, then knocked out by Kinkajou. The pieces of the scroll were later used to give Darkstalker a new life as Peacemaker.
Kestrel was Chameleon's partner when he was in his SkyWing form, Soar. They had an egg containing twins, but never saw each other again afterwards. They seemed to have a neutral relationship.
Peril is his daughter. They initially had a good relationship, but as she learned more about Chameleon's actions — hurting Kinkajou and enchanting her to forget about Clay and be completely loyal to Queen Scarlet — the relationship between the two of them deteriorated. However, she still let him keep his shapes after she took Darkstalker's scroll and believed how he just wanted family. She has not seen him since Escaping Peril. Chameleon believes that Peril betrayed him, and while he is willing to admit that he also betrayed her, he thinks that she does not want to see him again.
Chameleon appeared to be taking care of Pyrite while they were with the Talons of Peace, mainly to ensure that the mask remained on Hailstorm.
Chameleon originally worked for Scarlet, casting spells on her command with Darkstalker's scroll in return for payments of treasure. Scarlet seemed to dislike him sometimes because he annoyed her slightly. Chameleon didn't care about anything but the payment, so he didn't really mind.
- "Wait. […] No, no, no. Not SORE. SOAR, S-O-A-R, like flying high over the kingdom. Oh, good grief. Have other dragons been thinking my name is Sore all these years?"
- ― to Peril when they first met (Escaping Peril, page 141)
- "I know what you mean. You can do and say everything exactly the same as everyone else, but if there's one thing different about you, that's all that they care about."
- ― to Peril (Escaping Peril, page 142)
- "My daughter is powerful and amazing and terrifying. Who wouldn't be proud of that?"
- ― to Peril (Escaping Peril, page 145)
- "Hey, she pays very well. At least, she used to. I've had more treasure than any RainWing in the history of Pyrrhia for years now. The last several months haven't been quite the same, though."
- ― to Peril, about Scarlet (Escaping Peril, page 154)
- "Don't listen to those [SkyWings]. You're the second in command of this place. I wish I had that much power in my tribe. I'd have made everybody regret every moment of disrespect, every mocking laugh and disgusted whisper."
- ― to Peril (Escaping Peril, page 205)
- "Ha. As long as you aren't too different, sure. But I had one problem the tribe couldn't understand: I can't change my scales. You saw my RainWing color. When I'm a RainWing, I'm stuck that way. That same green all the time — no camouflage, no flamboyant emotional outbursts, no self-absorbed displays of clever special effects. I could never play their little RainWing games. The healers guessed that it was because of my sleep problem — as myself, I can never sleep for longer than a few minutes at a time, an hour at most. They thought it affected my scale-shifting abilities. But knowing that didn't help. Everyone still teased me… and then whispered about me … and then avoided me. Finally the queen banished me, saying I was making everyone uncomfortable, and perhaps there was a better tribe for me outside the rainforest somewhere."
- ― to Peril (Escaping Peril, page 206)
- "It's the strongest magic in the world. I've never read the whole thing … But then, I only had to read the beginning to realize what it could do."
- ― to Peril, about Darkstalker's Scroll (Escaping Peril, page 210)
- "If Scarlet knew I had unlimited power, she'd make me do much more terrible things than anything I've done so far. I'm not an evil dragon, Peril… I'm not going to give anyone all this power, especially not Queen Scarlet."
- ― to Peril (Escaping Peril, page 211-212)
- "I have a very nice life, though. And so can you, once this kingdom is all sorted out. We'll be her right-claw dragons, and we'll be together. Maybe you can help me come up with clever uses for the scroll. It'll be nice to have family at last."
- ― to Peril (Escaping Peril, page 212)
- "But it's mine. I found it, I get to keep it. Why should you have it? What makes you all any better than me?"
- ― to Moonwatcher, Peril, Qibli, and Winter (Escaping Peril, page 262)
- "Nobody. Bog, just Bog, a regular MudWing, me."
- ― to Winter (Darkness of Dragons)
- "Haven't you ruined my life enough? Aren't there actual bad guys you could go harass?"
- ― to Qibli (Darkness of Dragons)
- "You can't do this to me! I'm nothing without my shapes! You can't leave me as a useless RainWing! Where am I supposed to go?"
- ― to Kinkajou and Qibli (Darkness of Dragons, page 231)
- Whenever he changes into a different form, it "resets;" (i.e., when he puts on the Soar mask, all traces of previous battles or other activities from when he was previously Soar would disappear).
- Chameleon says he has a form for almost every tribe, but the SeaWing and the SandWing forms have never appeared.
- There is a wall of humming between Moon and his shape as Shapeshifter, so she cannot read his mind.