Cobra is an adult female SandWing who was introduced in Darkness of Dragons. Before being imprisoned by Queen Thorn at the SandWing Stronghold, Cobra was regarded as one of the best assassins in the Scorpion Den.
Cobra is manipulative, cruel, clever, and highly experienced in her work. Qibli noted and admired her skill in poison and assassination. She is also a harsh and rather abusive mother, both physically and verbally. She is a very dangerous assassin and is rumored to have killed multiple guests at Queen Scarlet's wedding.
|Cobra was born to Vulture and an unknown mother. She grew up to be a famous assassin, rumored to have killed Queen Oasis's sisters and two guests at Scarlet's wedding. She married an unknown dragon and had three offspring; Qibli, Rattlesnake, and Sirroco. Cobra abused and ignored Qibli, and possibly even his siblings, before Thorn came to take him. She didn't care what happened to him, but she didn't want to sell Qibli at first. But after a quick negotiation, in which Thorn agrees to stay out of Cobra's way, she let Thorn take him. She always insisted that he had to fend for himself in the Scorpion Den. She said he cared too much for others and was worthless.|
The Dragonet Prophecy
|The Brightest Night|
|When Sunny asks if Thorn was Qibli's mother too, he says no and that Thorn saved him from his mother.|
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|More information flying in soon...|
|Talons of Power|
|More information flying in soon...|
|Darkness of Dragons|
|After Qibli left, Vulture, Cobra's father, imprisoned her to get his hands on her dragonets, to make them join his Talons of Power organization. He trapped her in an oubliette until Qibli came to Vulture's fortress to look for Ostrich. When Cobra was freed by Qibli, she told him to escape that night with her. Cobra stopped herself from calling Qibli "lizard," and even tried to kill her other two dragonets for trying to stop her escape. She, in fact, killed many Talons of Power members on her way out of Vulture's fortress with Qibli, and also set off a dragonflame cactus prior to stealing the Obsidian Mirror against her father's wishes. It was later revealed/deducted by Qibli that Cobra and Vulture were plotting against Qibli, by making it seem as if Cobra had been trapped in the oubliette for years, although it had only been less than a day. Vulture and Cobra had set a trap for Qibli, trying to make him lead his mother to Thorn's stronghold. Cobra was arrested by Thorn and was thrown in Thorn's dungeon. Later, when Smolder, Qibli, Thorn, and Onyx visit the dungeons of Queen Thorn's stronghold, they meet Prickle, who was thought to be Palm and thrown into jail. Once they confirm her identity, Thorn thoughtfully wonders if she should let her go, and Cobra asks in a bored voice if she is letting prisoners go and, if so, can she be released. Thorn rejects her offer.|
As shown in Qibli's flashbacks in Darkness of Dragons, Cobra does not seem to care about Qibli or believe that he will ever amount to anything. However, when they are in Vulture's compound, she seems to actually get along with him and wants to rule the Scorpion Den, although this may have been a trick.
Rattlesnake and Sirocco
Cobra seems to care little for her other two dragonets, like Qibli in the flashbacks of Darkness of Dragons. She almost kills them in her escape with Qibli out of Vulture's place (the headquarters of the Talons of Power organization), but due to Qibli's protests, she lets them live. Seeing as though this whole "escaping" scenario she performed was a trick for her young son to lead her to Thorn's stronghold, she most likely has other feelings about these two dragonets.
Qibli mentioned in Darkness of Dragons that he thought that Vulture was the only dragon Cobra ever backed down for, and he thought that Cobra must be risking Vulture's wrath by keeping him alive. He found out later that this wasn't true, Cobra was keeping them alive for Vulture.
Cobra may or may not have wanted to give Qibli away to Thorn because Qibli thought that she might have been "only bartering to get a better offer" when she said that Thorn couldn't keep him. She did not try to stop Thorn from taking him other than that. She seems to give in to Thorn when Qibli is being taken away. Thorn was paying her a considerable amount of gold and jewels for her to find Morrowseer, Stonemover, and Dune, as she asks Cobra if she has found the three, and Cobra says no.
- "Get your ugly snouts out of here and don't come back until dark, if you must come back at all."
- — to her dragonets (Darkness of Dragons, page 6)
- "Have I taught you nothing about survival? [...] You survive! That's all you have to do! Nobody is ever going to take care of you! A dragon looks out for herself and no one else. You weak little worm, if you steal a coconut, you keep it for yourself."
- — to Qibli, after he handed her a coconut he'd stolen (Darkness of Dragons, page 10)
- "He thinks about other dragons too much. It's going to get him killed one day."
- — about Qibli (Darkness of Dragons, page 10)
- "Hoping for some last words of wisdom? [...] Take care of yourself, lizard. You'll never amount to much, so don't go trying to be a hero, or you'll just get killed. And don't come crawling back here. How's that?"
- — to Qibli, after she sells him (Darkness of Dragons, page 13)
- "Has your handwriting gotten worse since you were a dragonet? And your spelling is atrocious. What self-respecting SandWing can't spell Capybara? I swear you've gotten stupider since I sold you."
- — pretending to criticize Qibli's handwriting (Darkness of Dragons, page 109)
- "All right, Mr. Cleverclaws. You think you've got it all figured out. But did it ever occur to you that I might be betraying him? That he wouldn't have wanted me to take the Obsidian Mirror? That I might really want to destroy him and take over the Scorpion Den with you at my side?"
- — to Qibli, about betraying Vulture (Darkness of Dragons, page 141)
- "You really think he would give up that easily? You think he'll go back to his gilded compound and lie around eating scavengers peacefully for the rest of his life? Ha. Ha. Ha. Vulture will burn the kingdom to the ground before he gives up."
- — about Vulture (Darkness of Dragons, page 186)
- Cobra's name is likely a reference to her tendency to assassinate dragons with poison.
- It has been implied that Cobra may have killed Queen Oasis' sisters.
- Blister, Burn, and Blaze all attempted to hire Cobra to kill one another during the War of SandWing Succession, but Cobra declined because she believed she would profit more if the war continued.
- She was rumored to have poisoned and killed multiple guests at Queen Scarlet's wedding.
- She was hired by Queen Thorn to find Dune, Morrowseer, and Stonemover, to no avail.
- Tui almost named Viper "Cobra," but eventually decided against it.
- Cobra always eats coriander seeds before a planned assassination.
Addax • Agave • Armadillo • Camel • Capybara • Cobra • Dune • Horizon • Jerboa • Jerboa (DoD) • Kindle • Meerkat • Needle • Ocotillo • Ostrich • Palm • Parch • Prickle • Quicksand • Rattlesnake • Saguaro • Sandstorm • Sirocco • Six-Claws • Tawny • Torch • Viper • Vulture