The first time Crow appeared was during the Gift for the Dragons ceremony where she and the other dragonmancers tried to sacrifice Wren. When she appeared during the second part of the book, she and Gorge found Rowan and Leaf talking about Mushroom's disappearance. She pretended to have a vision that the children had to bring back some treasure from the mountain dragon palace or Grove would have to be sacrificed to the dragons.
- "It is a terrible, terrible idea to lie to a dragonmancer, […] TERRIBLE. I'm sure you will not make that mistake, apprentice, […] And while you frantically decide how much to tell me, I will generously mention that we heard you say dragons palace, so please, don't leave that part out. Do NOT leave it out."
- ― to Rowan and Leaf (Dragonslayer, page 163)
- "Much worse than that, […] If the dragons catch him, they could decide to punish the entire village for his crime. We could all be on fire by this time tomorrow! ON FIRE!"
- ― to Gorge, Leaf, and Rowan (Dragonslayer, page 163-164)
- "That's truuuuue, […] It would be very enriching for everyone if certain parties returned with dragon treasure and shared it with the correct people. But if the expedition were unsuccessful … that would be such a shame. Such a shame."
- ― to Gorge, Leaf, and Rowan (Dragonslayer, page 164)
- "I imagine the dragons would require a sacrifice, […] A big, big sacrifice."
- ― to Leaf and Rowan (Dragonslayer, page 165)
- "Shhh, […] Your friend set this in motion. This is all his fault. These are the consequences. I only see one happy ending here."
- ― to Leaf (Dragonslayer, page 165)
- "We didn't have to, […] But thanks to young Mushroom's greed, now we do. Grove will stay with us. All you have to do is follow your friend and return with some treasure, and everyone will be so happy. Ever ever so happy."
- ― to Rowan (Dragonslayer, page 166)