Ex-Prince Smolder is an adult male SandWing, and the son of Queen Oasis and King Char, and one of three brothers of Burn, Blister, and Blaze. He is the last surviving SandWing prince in his family; the names of his two brothers Singe and Scald were revealed in the third Winglets book, Deserter.
He fought on Burn's side in the War of SandWing Succession, although Burn disliked him, because he resembles Blister in appearance, or because of the rivalry between him and her mother. He loved Palm; they had even planned to elope, but Oasis planned to capture and possibly kill her so that there were no threats to her throne (though she actually captured Prickle, her sister, instead) and Palm was never heard of again (she escaped and had Smolder's daughter, Onyx). He is very likely in a relationship with Queen Thorn as seen in Darkness of Dragons.
Similar of appearance to Princess Blister, Smolder has "the same narrow face and lidded dark eyes, the same black patterns on his pale yellow scales", as well as diamond patterns on his wings. Sunny almost confused him for Princess Blister due to their scale patterns being so similar. He wears a cluster of keys and pouches and bells on chains around his neck that clink and jingle slightly as he walks. Some of them are plain iron, while others have jewels or gold plating on them.
When Sunny is taken to the Weirdling Tower, she described his voice as sardonic and fairly normal, unlike Blister's unsettling tone. He was also described by Palm to be handsome.
Smolder appears to be witty and charming. He also appears to be humorous, although Sunny also notes that she couldn't tell whether he was joking or not sometimes. He also seems to be a good liar, as he deceived both Thorn and Sunny in The Brightest Night.
Smolder approached Six-Claws while he was digging up a shrub to inform him that Blister and Burn were up to something, hoping that Six-Claws would come up with a way to fix it, because he didn't want to get involved. When Six-Claws thought that Blaze could be in trouble, Smolder refused to help and fled back toward the palace. Later, he was seen sobbing over Palm's disappearance, unable to be comforted. As he and his brothers discovered the dead Queen Oasis, his eyes glimmered with satisfaction at her death, for he had thought she took away Palm.
In The Hidden Kingdom, Blaze said her brother fell in love with a dragon her mother would never agree with, and she broke his heart. A tapestry was shown to be hanging in her fortress, showing two dragons, presumably Palm and Smolder flying in the sunset.
In the epilogue of The Dark Secret, he was seen in Burn's Stronghold speaking to Burn about the Dragonets of Destiny. He and Burn plotted to kill all of the dragonets. He also talked about a prisoner that was revealed to be Queen Scarlet. He also stated that he wasn't used to calling Burn "Your Majesty".
In The Brightest Night, Smolder was running Burn's stronghold while Burn was away, looking "for a certain quintet of dragonets." He led Sunny to the tower where Burn stores her collection and "special" prisoners, such as Queen Scarlet. He introduced Sunny to his pet scavenger, Flower. He showed Sunny that Flower was trained to come when she heard Smolder ring a bell, among other things. After this, he proceeded to lead her to her cell in the tower. After seeing how miserable Sunny was, he decided that he'd take her out at midday for a walk every day. Sunny began realizing that he was actually a nice dragon. He also explained to Sunny the mystery of the missing SandWing treasure, showing her the doors to the previous treasure holds and revealing to her a clue about the Eye of Onyx, telling her if any of the other SandWing sisters had the treasure, they'd be queen already.
He later unchained Sunny and orders Camel to watch her as he organized troops to defend the stronghold. Thorn and the Outclaws were attacking the stronghold, and Smolder was successfully fending them off. Sunny begged Peril to stop the fight to save her mother, and Peril agreed, but asking to save Queen Scarlet, and both agreed.
Smolder then led Thorn, Sunny, and Peril to Burn's collection, on Thorn's orders to see the dead, stuffed NightWing that Burn owned.
Later, Smolder led Thorn and Sunny into the library and locked them in there, because Burn would kill him if she found out that he let them escape. Thorn and Sunny escape by burning the wood surrounding the doorknob, and part ways.
At the choosing of the SandWing queen, Smolder was present and handed Burn Blister's gift. The gift happened to be two dragonbite vipers, one of which killed Burn, and the other nearly kills Clay. Blister and Blaze fought until Sunny finds the Eye of Onyx and gave it to Thorn.
Smolder apologized to Thorn about the library, and Thorn claimed that it would be hard to forgive him.
Although he does not formally appear in Winter Turning, there was a letter from him addressed to Prince Vermilion on the joys of raising and taming a scavenger, which Smolder did himself in the case of Flower. Some of the lines told him what to do and what not to do. The letter came after the book's epilogue and it also appeared in the special edition of The Brightest Night.
Palm, his lost love, thought of him many times whilst fleeing from Oasis's guards. She gave the earrings he gifted her with to her sister Prickle as payment for her refuge.
Later in the book, Qibli walked into Thorn's tent and saw Smolder in the tent discussing the IceWing plague. He was flirting with Thorn, and he seemed astonished that she was letting Qibli have an opinion.
When Onyx challenged Thorn, he and Blaze went to watch the fight. Upon Onyx revealing her identity, Smolder jumped into the ring and tried to convince her not to fight. Qibli noted that, while he was facing Onyx, his wings keep brushing affectionately with Thorn's. Onyx refused and goes on with the challenge.
During the sandstorm, he took shelter with his daughter in the dungeon.
While looking for him, Thorn mentioned that he was terrified of the dungeon. They found him in there with Onyx, who had a badly injured leg. Qibli noted that it was not obvious whether she was injured by the storm or if Smolder did it so she'd be unable to challenge Thorn.
Family Tree Edit
|King Char†||Queen Oasis†||Two Unnamed Sisters†|
|Prince Scald†||Prince Singe†||Princess Burn†||Princess Blister†||Princess Blaze|
- "I have heard that before, there was someone who used to tease me about it. She told me she was going to assume everything I said was a joke, since that would simplify things. You can do that too, if you like." - To Sunny when she said she couldn't not tell whether Smolder was joking or not.
- "I think I should put you in the weirdling collection. It's as safe as the dungeon, but more comfortable. Also more psychologically destabilizing." - To Sunny, when debating where to imprison her.
- "The idea that you might actually belong somewhere like that, it's driven a few dragons insane." - To Sunny
- "There used to be three of us, but the other two made the wrong dragons mad." - Talking to Sunny about his brothers.
- "You can live for now, but I'd appreciate it if you made your escape attempts as feeble and ineffective as possible." - To Sunny
- "Sorry enough to be my prisoner?" - To Sunny in The Brightest Night
- "Losing you and Scarlet in one fell swoop? That has to be worse than anything my brothers ever did." - To Sunny when she escaped Burn's stronghold
- "She's gone. I'm never going to see her again." - Wailing about Palm's disappearance.
- "Oh, right. Very dignified. Hard to argue with that kind of elegant turn of phrase." - To Thorn
- "An extremely beautiful frog. One we're all still proud to call our queen." - To Thorn, after she put on a copy of Qibli's enchanted earring.
- "I've been investigating a mystery for the last twenty years." - To Sunny about the SandWing treasury.
- "No, I mean- yes, but no, because this- I think this is Prickle."- To Thorn and Onyx.
- A smolder is a smoke that is coming from a fire that is burning slowly without a flame.
- Smolder is the only living son of Queen Oasis.
- Prince Smolder is one of the many dragons shown owning a pet, along with Winter (who owned Bandit the scavenger), Stonemover (who owned Dinner the fox, sort of), and Queen Glory (who owns Silver the sloth) and the rest (as far as we know) of the RainWings who, like their queen, own sloths.
- He is the first out of two dragons owning a pet scavenger, the other being Prince Winter.
- Smolder is apparently friends with Prince Vermilion, as in a special edition of The Brightest Night and Winter Turning, he gives him advice on how to take care of a scavenger.
- Smolder was stated to keep a pouch of keys around his neck, which means Burn trusts him enough to hold all the keys to certain rooms.
- He also has a pouch to bring food to Flower, and one for the bell to call for her.
- Smolder appears to be the first dragon known in the first arc to know of a scavenger's intelligence, the second being Sunny.
- In Darkness of Dragons it is shown that Smolder shows great affection for Thorn and that she likely returns his feelings.
- Smolder is described as wearing many keys and bells around his neck, but in the picture drawn by Flower he is just a plain SandWing.
- In the prologue of DoD, Palm states that she would give her egg the name that Smolder chose, revealed to be Onyx.
Addax • Agave • Armadillo • Camel • Capybara • Cobra • Dune • Horizon • Jerboa • Jerboa (DoD) • Kindle • Meerkat • Needle • Ocotillo • Ostrich (Deserter) • Palm • Parch • Prickle • Quicksand • Rattlesnake • Saguaro • Sandstorm • Sirocco • Six-Claws • Tawny • Torch • Viper • Vulture