Grandeur is an elderly female RainWing who was introduced in The Hidden Kingdom. She served as queen of the RainWings before reluctantly allowing RainWing volunteers to rotate months on the throne with her. Of the six RainWing queens who ruled before Glory became queen, she was the only one who was a descendant of the original RainWing royal family.
Grandeur keeps her scales a pale lavender color, seemingly glittering with tiny dewdrops, and her ruff a pale orange. She is described as a stately older dragon with half-asleep eyes and a sour expression.
Glory mentioned that Grandeur was the only dragon of the six RainWing queens that gave off a queenly aura. Grandeur was one of the few serious RainWings who remembered the old RainWing traditions that did not include as much peace as it did many years subsequently. She did not appear as lazy as the rest of her tribe; being one of the more responsible queens, she was shown helping to plan for battle and is not afraid to fight against the NightWings. Grandeur was also willing to use her venom on other dragons for the safety of the RainWings.
Grandeur was shown to be fair-minded and wise, wanting to give other RainWings a chance to have a more responsible queen as well as forfeiting the event to let Kinkajou win.
The Dragonet Prophecy
|The Hidden Kingdom|
|During the contest to determine the queen, Grandeur participated in the venom accuracy test. She was one of the only two RainWing queens who made no known attempt to cheat during her event (the other being Fruit Bat), as she was sure she would win, and was truthful in the claim.
Towards the end of the venom targeting, a sloth fell in front of the target, and Kinkajou dove into the line of venom to push it out of the way. Glory and Grandeur test their venom and find a match to neutralize Kinkajou's injury. This also reveals that Glory is a member of the disbanded RainWing royal family.Grandeur forfeited, allowing Kinkajou to win, and Glory to become queen. She believed in the royal family, which the RainWings had abandoned, as her daughters were "useless." She told the other queens that Glory would indeed be a better queen than any of them, saying that she had only "allowed them to be queen in hopes that the experience may transform them to be worthy of the throne," which they were not.
|The Dark Secret|
|When Starflight dreamvisited Kinkajou, Grandeur was watching her. She assisted in activities such as battle planning. Grandeur and Liana were usually working together in Glory's command. She helped to free the RainWings using a spear during the attack on the NightWings.|
|The Brightest Night|
|Grandeur assisted Glory in organizing the NightWings when they sought refuge in the rainforest. She and Mangrove were later left in charge of the rainforest while Glory attended the peace summit at Burn's stronghold. Later, when Sunny is preparing to meet her family, she thinks about how all her friends have some family, Glory having Jambu and Grandeur.|
Grandeur sees Glory as a worthy queen and generously crowned her. Grandeur is her personal advisor and aided her. Because she is Glory's assistant, she is trustworthy enough to run the kingdom (alongside Mangrove) when Glory had left for the Great War's peace summit.
= Possible timeline
- "We used to keep track of the royal eggs, but my daughters were useless, so we merged our eggs with the tribe's, hoping to find successors who were queens in spirit, if not blood. There were a few who might have been great if they'd ever tried for the throne, but the truth is, I've never found a dragonet who both wanted to be queen and deserved to be. Until now."
- ― to Glory (The Hidden Kingdom, page 288-289)
- "It's my throne anyway. I have merely tolerated all of you on it because I thought experience might transform you into worthy queens."
- ― talking to the (now) ex-queens. (The Hidden Kingdom, page 289)
- "I know she'll be a better queen than you."
- ― to Magnificent, about Glory being the new queen (The Hidden Kingdom, page 289)
- "Behold! Your new queen! Queen Glory of the RainWings!"
- ― announcing Glory as Queen of the RainWings (The Hidden Kingdom, page 289)
- "I could do it. Attack another dragon with my venom, I mean, for the sake of my tribe. But I agree, the others would have trouble."
- ― when Glory mentioned about possibly having to use venom on NightWings (The Dark Secret, page 231)
- In the minigame Speed Wings on Scholastic's Home Base, Grandeur is a playable character.
- During Glory's challenge to become queen of the RainWings, it was mentioned that Grandeur used to be an excellent treetop racer, but that she was much too old for it now.