Grove has a long, shaggy dark mop for hair, burn scars on his hands and face, and long legs. He also had narrower eyes than the other villagers. He often wears clothing in bright colors such as orange and his eyes are narrower than the other villagers'. He has a charming grin.
|Grove was first mentioned by Rowan, who said that he used to live in the Indestructible City, and had known a few wandering travelers who had met the Dragonslayer. Later on, it was mentioned that Rowan preferred to be off with him instead of with her younger siblings.
The first time Grove appeared formally in the book was when he came to warn Leaf and Rowan about the bell that signaled dragons coming. He, Leaf, Rowan, and Butterfly ran into a shelter. Rowan then told Leaf that Grove knew Leaf wanted to become a dragonslayer. Grove added that he wished he could become one too.
Leaf went on to mention that Grove was the only person near their age who had traveled beyond Talisman. He also stated that Grove had gotten burn scars from a time when dragons had set fire to his previous village, and that he and his father never talked about it. Leaf then asked if Grove had really lived in the Indestructible City. Grove said yes, but that he and his father didn't like it because it had too many rules, and that the Invincible Lord had ideas that he disagreed with, for example that everyone was expendable.
Grove next appeared after Leaf had become an apprentice to the dragonmancers. He asked Leaf if he had found any 'secrets' in Trout's house. Leaf said no, but Grove asked the apprentice if he could let him (Grove) know the next time the dragonmancer was out.
Six days later, Grove and Leaf broke into Trout's study and found a map of the SkyWing palace made by dragons, along with a lot of treasure which the dragonmancers or their apprentices had stolen. Leaf decided to come up as often as he could to copy out the blueprint.Months later, Leaf had finally completed copying out the map. Grove thanked Leaf, and said he and the other teenagers would study it. However, two days later, the blueprint was stolen by Mushroom. Crow and Gorge found out about it, and said that they would sacrifice Grove if the others did not bring back treasure from the palace.
- "Yeah. The world needs more dragonslayers, […] Wish I didn't have to work so I could join you."
- ― to Leaf (Dragonslayer, page 78)
- "Of course I have, […] It's massive. And it's never been burned. We figured for sure it'd be the safest place to live."
- ― to Leaf and Rowan, about the Indestructible City (Dragonslayer, page 79)
- "It's… hard to get in, and then… it's not as safe as it sounds. I mean, it's safe from dragons, but…"
- ― to Leaf and Rowan, about the Indestructible City (Dragonslayer, page 80)
- "All right, […] Do you know anything about the Invincible Lord? […] he runs the Indestructible City right now. His family always has, but this lord is different from the ones who came before. He has all these ideas about who is useful and who isn't and what he can use everyone for. He has plans to expand beyond the city, risky plans, and he'll do anything to make them happen. To him, everyone's expendable."
- ― to Leaf and Rowan (Dragonslayer, page 80)
- "Lucky guesses, […] Dragons are always flying overhead; there's nothing amazing about predicting that. I think everything they say is a lie, and we need some kind of proof. You'll have to break into his study next time he's out, Leaf."
- ― to Leaf, Cranberry, Thyme, Mushroom, and Rowan, about the dragonmancers' predictions (Dragonslayer, page 128)
- "Maybe that's why Talisman is here in the first place, […] I've always thought it was weird that someone built a village this close to the mountain dragons. Maybe it started as a treasure smugglers' den, and then the smugglers got old and became dragonmancers instead. Different kinds of thieves, but still stealing."
- ― to Leaf (Dragonslayer, page 133)
- Grove and his father moved to Talisman after his old village was burned to the ground by dragons. The fire was how Grove had gotten burns along his hands and face, and he had avoided talking about the incident ever since.