Hailstorm is tall, with silvery scales, long glittering silver-and-white wings, and fierce white claws. His sharp, alert eyes are as blue as the arctic sky, bluer than Icicle's or Winter's, and they crinkle around the edges when he smiles. He is large, with a snout that is longer and narrower than Pyrite's, and has sharp silvery spines.
Hailstorm is arrogant, confident, and full of energy, and smiles often. Winter described him as a long-lost hero with a bright future and the bravest dragon in Pyrrhia, who would have fought tooth and claw to be free. Winter knew his brother would have had a laughing comment about his new Circle ranking, but after being subjected to the Pyrite enchantment, he was described as a lost dragon, torn in two, rigidly perfect on the outside but melted altogether on the inside, and a dragon who killed fellow IceWings in service to a queen he despised. Despite this, he is brave and determined not to express fear. He is exceptional, too valuable to discard, and laughs about what other dragons think of him. He spoke to Foeslayer without a tremor of insecurity in his voice, and refused to kill Winter during the Diamond Trial, despite the fact that winning would have allowed Hailstorm first place in the Circle rankings.
|As mentioned in the prologue of Winter Turning, Hailstorm and Winter go searching for scavenger dens in SkyWing territory. Shortly, they encounter fourteen SkyWings and Hailstorm talks them out of capturing Winter. The SkyWings take him prisoner instead of Winter and bring him to the SkyWing palace, where it is made sure that "no one can find him." Winter was left behind as a messenger to run back and tell the IceWing queen so Hailstorm could be used as ransom. Hailstorm is then taken to the SkyWing palace, where he is turned into Pyrite by Chameleon using Darkstalker's Talisman.|
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|At the beginning of Moon Rising Icicle and Winter both believe that Hailstorm is dead. They assume he was killed by the NightWings during their "rescue" of Starflight.
Queen Scarlet tells Icicle (using a dreamvisitor) that Hailstorm is alive, and she can get him back if she kills the dragonets of destiny. These thoughts are overheard by Moon, who cannot identify the dragons speaking. She also hears Icicle mention him in her thoughts during the assembly after the cave explosion.
While attempting to kill Starflight, Icicle told Winter that she was doing it for Hailstorm. Winter continues to protect Starflight and Moonwatcher, telling Icicle that it wasn't Moon's nor Starflight's fault and that Scarlet was the one who killed Hailstorm. Icicle reveals that he is not dead and that Scarlet is keeping him captive.At the end of the book, Winter sets out to find Hailstorm and Icicle. The rest of his winglet join him soon after.
|The prologue of Winter Turning details the SkyWing abduction of Hailstorm. He had taken Winter near SkyWing territory to try and find him a scavenger den, but the two are caught by fourteen SkyWings, including the last living daughter of Scarlet, Ruby. Hailstorm convinces them to only take him, and they oblige, knocking him out and bringing him to Scarlet, leaving Winter to flee to the IceWing kingdom. He wakes up in Scarlet's throne room, having a brief conversation before another dragon puts the "Pyrite-mask," made by Chameleon, on him. This turns Hailstorm the IceWing into Pyrite the SkyWing.
Later, Winter recalls a hunting party that included Hailstorm. He remembers Hailstorm eagerly hopping from foot to foot and notes how confident and energetic he was. He also split off from Icicle and Winter as soon as he had the chance.
A while later, a dragon named Pyrite (Hailstorm), from the Talons of Peace who was traveling with the Jade Winglet was revealed to be Hailstorm, under a spell. The enchantment given to the necklace had specific conditions, that Winter thought may have been meant just for Hailstorm, like being completely loyal to Scarlet, believing the wearer is useless, believing that the wearer could never remove her necklace, or she would die, and to have no memory of the former identity.
After the Pyrite necklace was removed from Hailstorm, he remembered very little about his previous life, as his memories were mixed and confused with those of Pyrite's, stopping him from thinking clearly and giving him a heavy inner layer of self-doubt. He considered putting the Pyrite necklace back on so that he wouldn't have to live with two sets of memories. Winter then takes Hailstorm along his journey with Qibli, Moon, and an injured Kinkajou, to the town of Possibility. In Possibility, Hailstorm spots a SkyWing soldier named Eagle, which he remembers from Pyrite's memory. This causes some problems for the group, as Eagle swoops down and demands how Hailstorm knows his name.Hailstorm finally recollects all of his memory after being reintroduced by Winter to the Ice Kingdom. The morning after arrival in the Ice Kingdom, Hailstorm was placed at the bottom of the Seventh Circle, the lowest of possible ranks of the Circle rankings system, while Winter was promoted to the first place in the First Circle, the highest rank. Unfortunately for Hailstorm, it was just before his seventh hatching day. This meant he would be permanently placed in the Seventh Circle, and exiled to an outpost unless the Diamond Trial was performed. In order to regain his place back in the First Circle, where he was before his capture by SkyWings, he must battle whoever was in first in the First Circle, who was then Winter. His parents set it up so Winter, their least favorite child, would be killed by their most promising children, Hailstorm, even telling Hailstorm the rules and what was expected to do to ensure his victory. Hailstorm was supposed to defeat Winter in the trial, but instead, he let him live as he couldn't kill his brother for what he had done for him. The brothers bid each other farewell and as soon as Hailstorm stepped out of the caves, he knew it was probably the last time he'd see Winter ever again because Winter would never be able to return to the Ice Kingdom.
|Peril mentions, that Scarlet must be pretty furious because the Jade Winglet escaped with Hailstorm.|
|Talons of Power|
|In the epilogue of Talons of Power, Hailstorm was seen touching the spot on the wall where Winter's name had once been. He was shivering violently from fever, thinking that the sickness is a punishment for what happened between him and Winter, when a messenger came. Hailstorm asks if his parents are getting better from the plague, and the messenger replies by saying that they are getting worse. The messenger says that there was something else and that "The queen of the IceWings is dead", dramatically ending the book with the passing of Glacier. He doesn't know what to do at first but then hopes that his brother is okay.|
|Darkness of Dragons|
|Hailstorm is shown with his father and Snowfall at before the Battle of Jade Mountain demanding to know Darkstalker's location, standing behind them, "frowning stiffly, like a dragon in a play trying to be the most serious and menacing character." When Winter arrives, his "expression was petrified and trapped and anguished and a tiny bit relieved as well." The reunion is cut short by the NightWing scouts arriving, and he helps to kill one while another kills his father. He and Winter are shown briefly grieving for their father before leaping into battle. He is then later seen fighting the NightWings back to back with Winter and was teleported back to the Ice Kingdom with the other IceWings, due to Anemone's spell.|
The Lost Continent Prophecy
|The Dangerous Gift|
|Hailstorm was mentioned multiple times in the first chapter. He was described to be in the adults' wall and rigidly perfect on the outside. He was also stated to "not have annoyed Snowfall at all today," noting that he might have talked to or irritated Snowfall prior the book. He was also mentioned to still be recovering from the Pyrite spell.|
Hailstorm is Winter's elder brother. He viewed Winter as amusing and fun to tease, but after Hailstorm was captured by the SkyWings, Winter blamed himself heavily, and there was an old familiar guilt surrounding his brother. Winter thought that even if he returned to the Ice Kingdom and was placed at the bottom of the Seventh Circle for deserting Jade Mountain Academy, it would have been worthwhile if Hailstorm could have returned home. Hailstorm's disappearance also hurt Winter very much each time he thought it happened. Winter was able to push aside the Circle rankings and the opinions of Glacier, Narwhal, and Tundra in favor of doing whatever was necessary to rescue his brother. Hailstorm thinks Winter is courageous and honorable, and when Hailstorm was attacked by Foeslayer during the Diamond Trial, Winter rushed to save his brother's life without a second thought, though he could have won the Trial; he cares more about Hailstorm's life than the rankings. Before Hailstorm's capture, he and Winter would often go hunting together, and it is one of the things Winter missed most while his brother was imprisoned. When Hailstorm saw Winter for the first time since the Diamond Trial during the Battle of Jade Mountain, his expression was petrified, trapped, anguished, and a tiny bit relieved.
- "The currents are mine to command! Can you catch me? No, you cannot! No one can! I'm the commander of the sky!"
- ― to Winter (Winter Turning, prologue)
- "They come from the trees, […] No need to panic, little brother. We're here for your weird little obsession. So get excited!"
- ― to Winter (Winter Turning, prologue)
- "But I know I've been fighting for Queen Scarlet in the war. I remember bowing to her. Worshipping her. I fought — I killed IceWings for her. Or was it a dream? Maybe I'm still myself and I'm only hallucinating memories of being an IceWing."
- ― to Winter, about living under the Pyrite mask (Winter Turning, page 201)
- "I look at that river and think, I can't swim. But I remember diving into dark green oceans studded with drifting pieces of ice. I look at my claws and think, I'm clumsy and useless. But I remember winning every competition — I remember being at the top of the rankings. I feel like the air is too warm and I can't wait to go home and roll in snow, but I imagine being surrounded by IceWings and I immediately want to kill them all to protect my queen."
- ― to Winter, about living under the Pyrite mask (Winter Turning, page 202)
- "I — I — I thought we were friends."
- ― to Eagle (thinking that he was currently Pyrite) (Winter Turning, page 226)
- "My brother acted rashly and without oversight. But he did so to save my life. I would have been executed within hours if he had not saved me in time. He was courageous and honorable in his time away from the Ice Kingdom. I am prepared to attest to that before the queen."
- ― to Narwhal, about Winter's behavior (Winter Turning, page 248)
- "I would have said the same thing, brother. But I sacrificed myself for you once already, and it was the worst thing that ever happened to me. You can't imagine how it feels to know what I've done — to have these memories in my head. I want my life back. I want my self back. And I won't get it if I reach my hatching day in last place. I have to be first again."
- ― to Winter (Winter Turning, page 279)
- "You know I can't. You're the one who rescued me. You're my brother. I'm not going to murder you now, so you're just going to have to do it to me."
- ― to Winter during the Diamond Trial (Winter Turning, page 284)
- "Thank you, brother. I hope — I hope one day I'll see you again."
- ― his last words to Winter before leaving the Diamond Trial (Winter Turning, page 285)
- "Would you fight alongside us? Even after … What we did to you?"
- ― to Winter during the Jade Mountain Battle (Darkness of Dragons, page 300)
- Before being captured by the SkyWings, bad luck was not ever something that wandered into Hailstorm's life.
- Hailstorm battled an orca whale before he was one year old.
- Hailstorm reached the top of the dragonet Circle rankings on the same day that Icicle and Winter were hatched.
- Before being captured by the SkyWings, Hailstorm and Winter would hunt together in the Ice Kingdom. It is one of the things that Winter had missed the most while his brother was imprisoned.
- No IceWing had ever placed first in the dragonet rankings for as long as Hailstorm had been.