The Editing Guide is a resource for users who are editing articles on the Wings of Fire Wiki. Our goal is to provide readers with clear, concise, and factual information regarding the Wings of Fire universe.
- 1 Good Faith
- 2 General Guidelines
- 3 Other General Tips
- 4 Article Outlines
- 5 Creating New Content
All edits made on the Wings of Fire Wiki should be made in "good faith," meaning that they are done with the intention to improve or expand upon the Wiki. Editors are usually given the benefit of the doubt, but if users make an edit to an article that is clearly not in good faith, the edit will be reverted. In extreme cases, the user will be blocked for a period of time.
To ensure a consistent appearance of all articles, please keep the following points in mind:
- When referring to a book or the series Wings of Fire, titles should always be written in italics. (Example: The Poison Jungle).
- In character, item, location, tribe, etc. articles, the first mention of the article's title should be written in bold. (Example: Prince Winter is a young male IceWing...)
- A single page only needs to be linked once per article, at its first occurrence.
- This excludes links to different sections on the same page (Example: Jade Mountain Academy and the Copper Winglet may both be linked on the same page, but every instance of Clay's name may not.)
Grammar and Spelling
Grammar is very important in articles; it helps establish an understanding between the editors and the readers of an article.
- This wiki is written in American English. This is for ease of editing, as the books are written in AE. Please do not edit pages to change these spellings.
- Names of characters and places should always be capitalized. Items are sometimes capitalized as well (Example: Darkstalker's Scroll). However, if you are only referring to Darkstalker's Scroll as "the scroll," there is no need to capitalize the word "scroll".
- Add commas (,) and periods (.) where needed. Oxford commas should be the standard in a list of three or more items.
- Avoid contractions such as "he's" or "they're"; use "he is" or "they are" instead.
- Try to avoid unnecessary connective words, such as "also" and "however."
- Biography sections should be written in past tense.
- Introduction, Appearance, Personality, and Relationships sections vary between past or present tense depending on whether the character is alive or deceased.
- If the character is alive, the article (excluding the biography) is to be written in present tense. If the character is deceased, the article is to be written in past tense.
Other General Tips
- Do not add speculation to any part of an article. This includes assumptions about a character’s appearance or personality based on their name and unconfirmed crushes/romantic interest.
Click here for details about the order, organization, and content of character articles.
Click here for details about the order, organization, and content of tribe articles.
Click here for details about the order, organization, and content of location articles.
Click here for details about the order, organization, and content of event articles.
Click here for details about the order, organization, and content of or item articles.
Group & Organization Articles
Click here for details about the order, organization, and content of group or organization articles.
Creating New Content
All users have the ability to create an article. We ask that you do not create unnecessary, off-topic or personal articles. It's good to check if the article already exists under a different name before creating it (Example: "RainWing" does not need to be made, as "RainWings" already exists.)
- Do not create articles for fan-made characters, items, locations, tribes, stories, etc. These can be posted on your User Blog or in a Discussions post. Articles made for fan-made content will be moved to the creator's User Blog.
- Do not create articles that already exist, or have a closely related article (Example: do not create an article entitled "RainWing Venom", as there is already an article entitled "RainWings" containing that information.)
- When new books are released, it is to be expected that some characters, etc. regarding it will not have articles created for them yet. If this is the case, please feel free to create one. However, less recent books usually do not need new articles for their contents.
- Please refer to the Article Structure when creating new articles.
Just like pages, every user has the ability to make categories. It's good to have an admin's permission before making a category. Also, be sure to check the Category Guide or the Category Tree for all of our already existing categories.
- Do not create categories for fan-made content.
- Generally, a valid category should contain at least five articles.
- Before making a category, ask yourself: "Will the wiki benefit from this, or will it just be extra clutter?".
- Do not create unnecessary or irrelevant categories. (Example: while "Category:MudWings" is an acceptable category, "Category:Dragons with brown scales" is not.)
- Do not create categories that already exist under a different name, or for sets of characters who are easily found elsewhere (Example: protagonists for each arc may be easily found in the top navbar, and do not require a category.)