Hope, formerly known as Foeslayer, is an adult female NightWing who was introduced in Winter Turning. Many IceWings believed that she was one of the main causes of the NightWing-IceWing War, as Foeslayer and Arctic's forbidden relationship infuriated Diamond and caused her to declare war on the NightWings.
She is currently over 2,000 years old due to an enchantment that imprisoned her in the Diamond Caves. She was freed by Winter after he completed the Diamond Trial, and is currently raising Peacemaker in the NightWing Village.
Hope is huge, with black scales as dark as a moonless night. She has dark green underscales, dark green eyes, and black wings. When imprisoned in the Diamond Caves, she had a pair of icy shackles around her ankles that did not seem to be connected to anything.
When Hope was young, she was shown to be talkative, witty and constantly getting into trouble with her mother. After she had Darkstalker and Whiteout, she loved her dragonets more than anything in the world and fiercely tried to protect them. She became more mature but more worried, too -- about fitting in, and proving to the queen she was a loyal NightWing. When Winter appeared horrified by the enchantment that imprisoned Hope to the Diamond Caves, she only shrugged eloquently in response.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|To win the Diamond Trial, one must defeat Foeslayer and then kill the opposition. When Hailstorm and Winter found her in the Diamond Caves, Hailstorm touched his narwhal spear to the layer of ice covering her, cracking it off, he then attacked her. Foeslayer fought back and immobilized him, but when she moved in to kill him, Winter attacked her to protect Hailstorm. After a short conversation about the history of her imprisonment and an explanation of how Diamond's enchantment worked, she let Hailstorm kill her, telling him to "Make it quick." Afterwards, Hailstorm then revealed that he had been told in advance that one of them has to kill the other in order to win the Diamond Trial.
Hailstorm agreed to let Winter sneak off and pretend he was killed instead of Hailstorm having to kill his own brother. When Hailstorm left, Winter tapped his spear to Foeslayer's ice again and cracked it, and she remarked that she has never been woken up by the same dragonets twice. Winter then demanded why Foeslayer stole Prince Arctic, but she objected to the word "steal" and told Winter that they fell in love with each other, so Prince Arctic ran off with her, knowing the IceWings wouldn't accept this. Winter felt sympathetic to the love she had for Arctic, comparing it to the feelings he has for Moonwatcher, and decided to set Foeslayer free.Winter figured out that he needed to use frostbreath on the base of the chains to break off the animus-touched shackles that kept Foeslayer from escaping the Diamond Caves. Before he broke them off, he asked her to promise to leave the IceWings alone. She agreed, stating she never wanted to see another IceWing ever again and said that she was going straight back to the (old) Night Kingdom. Winter decided that this would be a chance to find the lost city of night, since Foeslayer and Darkstalker are the only ones who know where it was hidden. He hoped that after finding it, he would be able to rejoin his friends and save Jade Mountain.
|Foeslayer appeared with Winter when they were flying back to Possibility. Upon seeing Peril, Foeslayer remarked that she hadn't seen a firescales dragon in a long time. Later, after Peril accidentally burned Winter in their fight, Peril shouted for Foeslayer to look for help, and she left. After Winter was healed, he explained that Foeslayer was with him because they were flying to the lost city of night.|
|Darkness of Dragons|
|Qibli met Foeslayer while he was in the library getting the blueprints of the Old Night Kingdom's Castle. She asked him what his opinion on Darkstalker was. When he said that he didn't trust him, she asked why, and Qibli was forced to tell the truth seeing that there was no way around it. He told her that he didn't trust Darkstalker because he killed his father and Foeslayer later gave him a map to the location where Tsunami was imprisoned.
Near the end of the book, Foeslayer was sitting on a cliff/ledge and Darkstalker flies over to her. They embrace and Qibli saw that Darkstalker loved her more than Clearsight or Moonwatcher. Soon after, Foeslayer tried convincing Darkstalker to use his magic and make himself a dragonet with no powers and a wiped memory. Darkstalker was not persuaded, but Kinkajou was able to turn him into a NightWing-RainWing dragonet using scraps of his animus-touched scroll that she stole from Chameleon. Foeslayer took over as the dragonet's mother. She changed her name to Hope, upon the suggestion from Qibli, and went to live with the RainWings and NightWings in the rain forest. She also changed Darkstalker's name to Peacemaker.In the epilogue, Moonwatcher asked her about the lost continent, and she replied that it was a kind of joke in her time, and then said that the NightWings calculated that Pyrrhia only covered a third of the world and that it was quite possible that another continent was out there. Then she told her that "Before you go looking for trouble, see if you can find anything on the Legend of the Hive."
|Foeslayer was first introduced in the prologue when she pushed her way past Arctic and Snowflake to the balcony. She was shown talking and jumping around to try to warm herself up, and she eventually annoyed Snowflake into leaving. After learning the reason why Snowflake was so irritable was that Arctic forgot her name, she teased Arctic about it. The two proceeded to talk and flirt for a while. Eventually, to stay and talk with her for a while longer, Arctic enchanted his diamond earring to keep the wearer warm and protected, then gave it to Foeslayer, although he was aware that doing so was defying the IceWing heritage and law of only using animus magic once in a lifetime. This made her very surprised and worried about Arctic's soul.
In the first chapter, Foeslayer was heard arguing with Arctic over what would be best for their two eggs. When the first one hatched, she named the dragonet Darkstalker. Arctic said that it sounded creepy, like he was stalking in the darkness, but she retorted that it sounded heroic, like he was following the darkness and chasing the shadows away. Arctic reluctantly agreed to the name but claimed he got to name the other dragonet, their daughter, Whiteout.
About three years after Darkstalker and Whiteout hatched, Darkstalker came home to Foeslayer arguing with Prince Arctic about whether he should leave or stay in the Night Kingdom after Queen Diamond sent him a message that offered him amnesty if he returned to her and he killed his dragonets. Foeslayer was shocked, but Arctic told her that he wouldn't accept it, and just wanted her to know what he could do if the topic came up again.Later, Darkstalker enchanted a map to reveal the location of his mother after finding her enchanted earring discarded inside his house after a fight with Arctic. The red dot showed her frozen in place in the Ice Kingdom, and he presumed her to be dead, not aware that she had been enchanted by Queen Diamond and trapped in the Diamond Caves.
|Foeslayer made her second chronological appearance in the short e-book story Runaway. Foeslayer was in the IceWing palace dome right after she met Prince Arctic for the first time in the Darkstalker (Legends) prologue. Prudence, Foeslayer's mother, came over and asked where she was. Prudence noticed Foeslayer's new earring recently given to her by Arctic and asked if she stole it, which Foeslayer gave her mother a version of the truth, saying that an IceWing gave it to her. This led to a squabble broken up by Arctic, who had just walked in the room, trying to protect her from punishment. Prudence was confused about who Arctic was and why he was trying to protect her daughter. Foeslayer finally admitted to Prudence, that she met Arctic earlier, and Prudence became angry because she had told Foeslayer earlier to keep silent and not interact with any of the IceWings. Prudence punished Foeslayer by sending her to her chambers. While walking there, Foeslayer saw Snowflake who was supposed to marry Arctic, which made her feel worse because she loves Arctic and wanted him to herself.
Foeslayer was locked in her chambers for two days. On the last day of their visit, Foeslayer and Prudence were seen packing up and getting ready to leave. Foeslayer was annoyed that Arctic never visited her in two days and now she would have to leave him forever. Prudence was scolding her about her pacing when she suddenly froze in place. Foeslayer was surprised to see Arctic walk through the wall of her chambers, and Foeslayer realized that he was using his animus magic to escape his kingdom and go with her so they could be together. Arctic and Foeslayer had a happy reunion, and he enchanted Foeslayer's earring so that she could not be harmed by any of Diamond's spells. Arctic then unfroze Prudence and persuaded her to go to the Night Kingdom with them. The three of them went together back to the hallway to escape. As Arctic froze IceWing guards in their way, Prudence revealed to her that she was letting Arctic come with them in hopes that Foeslayer and Arctic had dragonets and passed the animus gene to the NightWing tribe. Prudence then went to get the other two NightWings that came along with them, Starclaws and Discretion, Foeslayer swore to herself to never tell Arctic what her mother just told her.Snowflake and Snowfox spot the two fleeing and sent a huge wave of IceWing guards after them. The guards shot arrows at Foeslayer, but they swerved away from her due to her earring's enchantment. Arctic enchanted the guard's spears to stop them, and the spears killed the guards, which wasn't what Arctic meant to do. Snowflake then caught up with them, shouting at Arctic that he should never be happy. Foeslayer then breathed fire and Arctic made it fly over and burn Snowflake's wing, making her fall onto the snow below. They then flew to a cliff and met up with Prudence and the rest of the NightWings. Prudence offered Foeslayer one of the enchanted bracelets to survive the harsh, cold weather ahead of them, but Foeslayer declined, saying that her earring would save her. The group flew toward the Night Kingdom. Foeslayer asked Arctic if his soul was okay, which he replied saying that it was none of her business. When she told him that it was, Arctic just growled and looked at her with a smug expression. Foeslayer convinced herself that she would make Arctic happy again and that he and she would be together forever.
Foeslayer and Arctic first met at a palace in the Ice Kingdom. They loved each other very much, enough to elope. When they moved to the NightWing palace, they tended to fight a lot, she wanting him to get out of the house to stop "moping, complaining and getting on my nerves". However, she still loved him as shown in Winter Turning.
Foeslayer loved Darkstalker very much, as shown in Chapter two of Legends: Darkstalker. Darkstalker said that when Foeslayer looked at Whiteout's egg, she didn't think anything would come out at all because she was ready to give all her love to him. However, the three of them became a loving family, despite Arctic.
Hope and Diamond have a complicated relationship. Diamond mainly blamed Hope for causing the NightWing-IceWing War, and after imprisoning her to the Diamond Caves, Diamond killed Foeslayer several times herself to vent her anger.
- "I didn't steal him. [...] I fell in love with him. [...] And he loved me, too. [...] That's the truth, although no IceWing has ever listened long enough to hear it before. [...] We didn't mean to ruin everything, [...] Or start a terrible war, or make two tribes hate each other for all eternity. We just wanted to be together."
- ― to Winter about Arctic (Winter Turning, page 287-288)
- "Seriously the worst! That poor dragon! I am completely telling her not to marry you. I pity whoever gets tricked into that. You'll be like, 'Happy fortieth anniversary...what's your name again?' and she'll be all, 'It's our FIFTIETH, you slime weasel, and my name is you're sleeping on an iceberg tonight."
- ― to Arctic, about Snowflake (Darkstalker, prologue)
- "Nothing is wrong with my dragonets."
- ― to Arctic (Darkstalker)
- "The darkness is his prey. He chases back the dark, like a hero."
- ― to Arctic, about Darkstalker's name (Darkstalker)
- "Darkstalker, [...] My beloved disaster."
- ― to Darkstalker when she is reunited with him (Darkness of Dragons, page 344)
- "I just—I have this strange feeling that the world is about to change forever."
- ― to Arctic (Darkstalker, prologue)
- "No, keep smiling. I know you're doing all this for me. It'll all be worth it. Together forever, Arctic! We're going to be the happiest dragons in the world."
- ― to Arctic (Runaway)
- "Yes, [...] Your ancient and terrible enemy. Everyone is always surprised. I want to know what the point is of abducting and freezing your archnemesis and then never telling anyone about it? Don't you want to shout it from the clouds? So everyone will know how dangerous and powerful you are?"
- ― to Hailstorm and Winter (Winter Turning, page 277)
- "This is very moving, but would one of you please kill me already? [...] I'm tired, I haven't eaten in hundreds of years, and these days it's more painful to be awake than to go through the process of dying again."
- ― to Hailstorm and Winter (Winter Turning, page 280)
- "Yes, [...] You stab me, I die painfully, and then I go back to being frozen until someone wakes me up again. It's a cunning enchantment. The first forty times, Queen Diamond killed me herself. [...] I suspect the original point of the spell was that she wasn't satisfied with killing me just once. But then the forty-first time, there were two dragonets here... so she must have decided I could be used for this other purpose, whatever you two are here for."
- ― to Hailstorm and Winter (Winter Turning, page 281)
- "That's my punishment. [...] Here's some advice for you—never make an animus angry."
- ― to Hailstorm and Winter (Winter Turning, page 281)
- "It’s part of your queen’s gift, IceWing. I have been frozen in time, so I only age in the moments when I’m unfrozen like this. The plan, evidently, is to keep me here a very, very long time."
- ― to Winter (Winter Turning, page 277)
- Because Foeslayer didn't necessarily age in the Diamond Trial Caves, she's physically younger than Darkstalker, making Darkstalker physically older than his own mother.
- Foeslayer is the oldest known dragon.
- Whenever Arctic and Foeslayer attended parties, they would intentionally complement one another's jewelry because it gave the illusion of matching and fitting perfectly together.
- Near the end of Darkness of Dragons, Foeslayer mentions that she could completely shield her thoughts from Darkstalker. However, there is no indication of this in Darkstalker (Legends), possibly either revealing an inconsistency in the series or an implication that she practiced later on.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Winter Turning, page 275
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Darkstalker, prologue
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 281
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 278
- ↑ Darkstalker, page 175