Hvitur was an adult male IceWing who was introduced in the prologue of The Dragonet Prophecy. He was a member of the Talons of Peace and was supposed to be one of the guardians of the dragonets. He was killed by Burn during his escape from Scarlet's palace with the prophesied SkyWing egg.
Hvitur had moon-pale, cold silver scales, silver wings, blue eyes, and a long body.
Scarlet described Hvitur as "nasty." Hvitur had deep faith in the prophecy and argued for the lives of those lost in the War of SandWing Succession. He also believed that no one would harm a dragon egg.
Hvitur, Kestrel, Webs, Dune, and Asha were charged with the task to find and bring the dragonets of destiny's eggs to the caves under the mountain, along with the duty to protect and raise them for the job of fulfilling the prophecy Morrowseer had foretold. Unfortunately, Asha died of her wounds shortly after delivering Clay's egg, and Hvitur was in the middle of escaping the SkyWing palace when Burn caught and killed him, along with destroying the egg he was supposed to deliver to the cave underneath the mountains.
The Dragonet Prophecy
In the prologue, Hvitur had broken into the SkyWing palace and stolen the prophesied egg. The largest guards pursued him, knowing it was the dragon Scarlet had warned Burn about. He was caught, and Burn had hot chains wrapped around his snout, preventing him from using his frostbreath. Hvitur pleaded for her not to break the SkyWing egg, but as a result, she did.
Burn dramatically dropped the egg over the cliff, pretending that it slipped through her talons, and proceeded to torment him, saying that even if the dragonets did save the world, it would be far too late for him. She shredded Hvitur's wings after the IceWing desperately tried to leap after the egg. She then stabbed him in the back of the skull with her venom-tipped tail before flinging him off the cliff. His screams stopped long before he hit the ground.
Sometime later, Kestrel found Hvitur's corpse at the cliff's bottom, along with a few fragments of the shattered SkyWing egg.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
Hvitur was mentioned indirectly by the Talons of Peace when they talked about all known IceWings in the Talons in a conversation.
In the prologue, Scarlet mentioned that an IceWing thief broke into the palace and stole an egg but was killed by Burn. While his name was never mentioned, she was referring to Hvitur.
- "You wouldn't. No one would harm a dragon egg."
- ― to Burn when she threatens to destroy the prophesied SkyWing egg (The Dragonet Prophecy, prologue)
- "You're a monster. We'll never give up. The dragonets — the dragonets will come and stop this war."
- ― to Burn (The Dragonet Prophecy, prologue)
- Hvitur was the first dragon in Wings of Fire shown to be murdered, as well as the first dragon in the series to appear.
- The reason his name was Hvitur was because Tui was saving her favorite names for the characters that survived longer, like Winter.[event 1]
- Hvitur is the only character in The Dragonet Prophecy not to appear or be mentioned in the graphic novel adaptation.