(The winglets are not to be confused with Winglets, which are short e-books in Wings of Fire.)
Jade Mountain Academy is an intertribal school located within Jade Mountain, was founded by the Dragonets of Destiny after the War of SandWing Succession. The school opened and accepted students from all tribes six months after the end of the war. The Academy is currently divided into five winglets: the Jade Winglet, the Gold Winglet, the Silver Winglet, the Copper Winglet, and the Quartz Winglet, each of which includes one dragonet from each of the seven dragon tribes. With the exclusion of Peril, groups of two or three dragonets from the same Winglet will share a sleeping cave, making them clawmates.
Jade Winglet Edit
- IceWing: Unknown, formerly Winter
- MudWing: Unknown, formerly Umber
- NightWing: Moonwatcher
- RainWing: Kinkajou
- SandWing: Qibli
- SeaWing: Turtle
- SkyWing: Peril (Replacement of Carnelian)
- Moonwatcher, Kinkajou, and Carnelian (after Carnelian died, their new clawmate was a MudWing)
- Umber and Turtle (after Umber fled, Turtle was presumably clawmates with Qibli).
- Winter and Qibli
Royalty and Ex-Royalty:
- Prince Turtle (son of Queen Coral)
- Ex-Prince Winter (Currently not attending Jade Mountain Academy) (nephew of Queen Glacier)
Gold Winglet Edit
- IceWing: Icicle(formerly)
- MudWing: Sora (formerly)
- NightWing: Bigtail (Deceased)
- RainWing: Tamarin
- SandWing: Onyx (formerly)
- SeaWing: Pike
- SkyWing: Flame (formerly)
- IceWing: Icicle (on trial in the Ice Kingdom for attempting to kill Starflight, plotting to kill Queen Glory and killing an unnamed NightWing)
- MudWing: Sora (fled after she caused the Dragonflame Cactus bombing and attempted to kill Icicle in revenge for her deceased sister, Crane)
- NightWing: Bigtail (deceased in Sora's attack in the history classroom)
- SandWing: Onyx (left to take the SandWing throne but failed; currently recovering from injury in the Kingdom of Sand)
- SkyWing: Flame (left for attempted murder; now working with SkyWing healers)
Silver Winglet Edit
- IceWing: Changbai
- MudWing: Sepia
- NightWing: Fearless
- RainWing: Boto
- SandWing: Ostrich
- SeaWing: Anemone
- SkyWing: Thrush
Copper Winglet Edit
- IceWing: Alba
- MudWing: Marsh
- NightWing: Mindreader
- RainWing: Coconut
- SandWing: Pronghorn
- SeaWing: Snail
- SkyWing: Peregrine
Quartz Winglet Edit
- IceWing: Ermine
- MudWing: Newt
- NightWing: Mightyclaws (Formerly, replacement unknown)
- RainWing: Siamang
- SandWing: Arid
- SeaWing: Barracuda
- SkyWing: Garnet
Founders and Staff Edit
- Clay is the hall monitor, healer, self-defense teacher, herbs and healing teacher, and prey organizer.
- Tsunami is the head of the school/principal.
- Starflight is the librarian.
- Sunny is the main founder of the Academy.
- Webs is the history teacher.
- Fatespeaker is Starflight's assistant and a helper at the Academy.
Rooms and Caves Edit
The Great Hall Edit
The Great Hall is the unofficial entrance of Jade Mountain Academy. Moonwatcher described the cave to have a dimmer light in comparison to that of outside, having enough room to fit four hundred dragons comfortably, with room for more to fly overhead. It was mentioned to have sunlight pouring into the cave, with twisting stalactites that sometimes reached the floor, forming twisted columns. A huge bronze gong hangs against the back wall, with three flying dragons carved into its surface. When the school first opened, a huge banner made of woven green vines reading "Welcome, students!" in giant purple-and-white flowers hung from two stalactites. Two tunnel openings form along the left wall of the cave, with two more on the right wall. Next to each opening, a map is hung, displaying tunnel routes to help students find their way around the huge caves.
The Library Edit
The entrance, as described by Moonwatcher, starts off as a side corridor lined with hanging scrolls. Many of them have quotes on the such as "Knowledge is a flame in the darkness" and "The claws of war are no match for the wings of wisdom." At the end of the hall, a room full of iridescent green sunlight is present (produced by the sun shining through tree leaves placed over windows, one of those windows was torn open by Icicle who was escaping out of it in Moon Rising). Scrolls were everywhere, in cubbyholes on the walls, racks, and cylinders around the cave. Every corner had a spot to curl up and read in, sometimes a rock ledge, sometimes a pile of moss, sometimes a bed of reeds and sometimes carpets. Sunlight came down from skylights in the roof and filtered through leaves covering the windows. There's a circular wooden desk labeled 'LIBRARIAN' in the center where Starflight manages the scrolls. Starflight has stamps of every student's name that he stamps on a scroll slot/card.
The Prey Center Edit
The Prey Center, which Clay set up, is a large cave open to the sky on one side (with this side covered by a wall of rocks to prevent the prey from escaping) and was often described as chaotic due to students either catching prey or eating. It is usually filled with animal prey, as well as a pile of fish, caught by expeditions, and a pile of rainforest fruit for RainWing students. This was one of the main places where Moonwatcher's head hurt the most before Darkstalker taught her how to stop this. This is where Moon met Qibli and Winter after Qibli (or, as Winter called him, "his idiot clawmate") released Winter's pet scavenger, Bandit, that many dragons tried to catch and eat before Moon caught him and gave him back to Winter (after much arguing).
The History Cave Edit
This was where Webs taught history to the students of the Jade Mountain Academy. It was described to be covered in maps (each marked with a different year) and with stacks of scrolls that overflowed the wooden racks provided. This cave was also destroyed by Sora's dragonflame cactus during the events of Moon Rising, forcing history class to be relocated to a different cave.
The Art Cave Edit
The Art Cave was the room where students learned all sorts of art forms, including painting, pottery, glass-working, metalworking, weaving, and woodworking. The room was filled with art supplies tucked into every crevice, and wooden dragon sculptures placed on little stone shelves.
The Music Cave Edit
The Music Cave was a vast cave filled with various instruments including harps, marimbas, maracas, and drums. The dragonets can enjoy playing music there.
"Weapons Cave" Edit
First mentioned in Darkness of Dragons, The Weapons Cave is where weapons were kept if needed to defend the school. The room contains a locked wooden box that holds three daggers (two after the events of Darkness of Dragons), one sword, and one club (or as Qibli describes it, a "big stick").
Healing Center Edit
First introduced in Darkness of Dragons, the Healing Center is where Clay teaches basic medicine. It contains a colored diagram of a dragon (MudWing) which shows where muscles are located.
Known Classes Edit
Taught by Webs, this class is meant to teach in-depth the history of Pyrrhia to attending students. The class is structured in units, with the first unit being The Scorching and going chronologically throughout history afterward. The next known unit is 500 years after The Scorching, which is described as a rather chaotic time period.
Herbs and Healing Edit
Suggested by Peregrine and Tamarin sometime between Talons of Power and Darkness of Dragons, this class, taught by Clay, is meant to teach the basics of healing to students. The class is shown to outline dragon anatomy to students as a basis for learning proper technique and presumably teaches some botany, as "herbs" is in the title.
While not an official class, there is a music cave that dragonets visit as a part of their schedule to learn to play different instruments from across Pyrrhia through their own intuition. As of Darkness of Dragons, there is no teacher for this class.
Small Group Discussion Class Edit
Though the official name of this class isn't well known, nor is it known if this class even still exists. There are several of them, and they are lead by Tsunami, Clay, Starflight, and Sunny. It is meant as a sort of bonding area for the dragonets within a Winglet to become closer.
There is an art cave in the mountain, though the class does not have a known teacher. There are materials for weaving, sculpture and painting, among other things. It's mentioned that the teachers could have also made small sculptures in there before school started, and several students (such as Mightyclaws) are sent there by Starflight to calm down.
- Jade Mountain Academy is the first known school where dragons of all tribes are taught together.
- The school currently houses all the Dragonets of Destiny apart from Queen Glory.
- Books six through ten focus on Jade Mountain Academy, specifically the Jade Winglet.
- Princess Anemone, Prince Turtle, Ex-Prince Winter, and Princess Icicle are currently the only known royal figures to have been in the Winglets.