| Spoiler Alert!|
This article contains plot details about the upcoming book, The Poison Jungle. It would be best if you did not view this page until after reading the new installment.
Jerboa is a female SandWing that appeared in Darkstalker's throne room, when he cast a spell that summoned all the animus dragons in Pyrrhia to him. She lives in a hut on a beach, near the border where the Kingdom of Sand meets the Ice Kingdom. Peril mentions that the borders are known as the wasteland between the Ice and Sand Kingdoms. In The Hidden Kingdom, the Dragonets of Destiny and Jambu fly past it.
Jerboa is quiet and thoughtful, similarly to Moonwatcher, and also appears to be kind and considerate. While being an animus, she doesn’t seem to use her magic much. She is shown to welcome and trust others easily, such as taking care of Luna; and welcoming Moon and Qibli into her hut, despite them being strangers. She seems to not like animus magic very much.
She makes another mysterious appearance in the epilogue of Darkness of Dragons when she led Moon and Qibli into her home to meet her. She then confirms to the two dragonets that she is the daughter of the first Jerboa, and that she is immortal. Jerboa shows them an injured dragon, who she has been taking care of. The dragon is Luna, a SilkWing from Pantala.
Jerboa appears in the epilogue when she finds Luna, lost and severely injured on one of the Kingdom of Sands beaches. Jerboa says that it is lucky Luna speaks Dragon. She introduces herself to Luna, and Luna does the same. Jerboa brings the lost SilkWing to her home and offers her fish stew, but Luna declines saying that she doesn't eat meat. She welcomes Moon and Qibli when they arrive and brings them to Luna (as seen in the Darkness of Dragons epilogue).
Her hut is mentioned twice in the prologue. She is also mentioned when Tsunami asks if she can enchant something for Luna to get back to Pantala, but Moonwatcher says that she is an animus that doesn't use her magic.
In the epilogue, Jerboa II is seen flying to the IceWing Palace to meet Queen Snowfall. It's revealed that Jerboa II knew the current Queen's late mother as Jerboa thinks how Queen Glacier usually arrived before she did when they met up. Queen Snowfall, already paranoid about getting attacked, is panicking about the sight of over a hundred dragons flying in from across the ocean. She wants Jerboa to expand the Great Ice Cliff, but Jerboa stops her, proving that her animus magic did not work anymore. It was also said that after Queen Snowfall flew away in a fit of rage, she thought to herself: "Completely useless. [...] Yes. Just like I've always wanted.", prompting the idea that she cast the spell that prevented animus magic from being used.
Family Tree Edit
- "I knew someone would come. [...] I guessed it would be soon." -To Moonwatcher and Qibli
- "I'm Jerboa, [...] Not the original Jerboa, [...] Her daughter." -To Moonwatcher and Qibli
- "Yes. My mother cast a spell to make sure nothing could ever harm me. [...] I've been waiting a long time to fulfill my purpose." -To Qibli
- "Yes, [...] I believe the first step is introducing you." -To Moonwatcher and Qibli
- "I believe this, [...] is our first visitor from the lost continent." -To Moonwatcher and Qibli
- "Oh, you speak Dragon, [...] That's lucky." -To Luna.
- "I guess I thought your continent might have a different language, [...] I'm Jerboa." -To Luna.
- "Sorry, [...] Queen Glacier usually arrived after I did." -To Queen Snowfall.
- "I will try." -To Queen Snowfall.
- "Oh?" -To Queen Snowfall.
- "I've always thought so." -To Queen Snowfall.
- "Shooting ice spears at any dragon who crosses the border that isn't an IceWing, [...] That's why we meet on this side of it." -To Queen Snowfall about the Great Ice Cliff.
- "It's too cold for anyone to do that, [...] The truth is, other tribes are not the slightest bit interested in stealing your kingdom." -To Queen Snowfall.
- A jerboa is a small nocturnal rodent that lives in desert areas.
- Her mother, Jerboa the First, enchanted her to make sure nothing could hurt her. This seems to have resulted in her immortality.
- She doesn't like being immortal.
- Jerboa is the second known dragon to have immortality, the first being King Darkstalker.
- She is the only known living SandWing animus.
- It is implied that Jerboa is responsible for all the animus magic disappearing, as this was was hinted in The Poison Jungle when she thought Completely useless,[...]Yes. Just like I've always wanted.
- Although she probably didn't do it the way she wanted, because animus-touched objects still work.
Addax • Agave • Armadillo • Camel • Capybara • Cobra • Dune • Horizon • Jerboa • Jerboa (DoD) • Kindle • Meerkat • Needle • Ocotillo • Ostrich (Deserter) • Palm • Parch • Prickle • Quicksand • Rattlesnake • Saguaro • Sandstorm • Sirocco • Six-Claws • Tawny • Torch • Viper • Vulture