Listener was large, with a long neck and curves that suggested that she was a successful hunter. She had dark scales and silver teardrop scales indicative of mind-reading in the outside corner of each eye.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
Moonwatcher mentioned Listener when she realized that Clearsight (actually Fierceteeth, enchanted by Darkstalker) didn't seem to be herself. She then went on about how she read a scroll about her written by Listener, describing her friend as being one of the most brilliant NightWings of all time, and how no one else was able to send their mind down multiple futures like her.
Listener first appeared when Clearsight entered the school on her first day. Clearsight immediately started reading into her futures while Listener read her mind. She told Clearsight that she would prefer to live out her life without knowing what was going to happen, as her family was "superstitious about seers" then told Clearsight she planned to free the school's scavengers. She and Clearsight become quick friends, however with very conflicting interests, as she often disagreed with Clearsight and had different ideas. Listener showed her dislike of Whiteout, calling her "Weirdout," and saying that she thought Darkstalker was creepy.
Listener later appeared to execute her plan of freeing the scavengers. After some difficulty catching them, she and Clearsight went to a beach to free them, where an IceWing scout hiding on the beach ate one of the scavengers. Clearsight assured Listener that she wouldn't tell anyone why they were there before going to tell the queen about the scout.
Later on, at a party, Listener was thinking of asking out a handsome NightWing named Thoughtful. She was hanging out with Darkstalker, Clearsight, Fathom, and Whiteout when he approached. Clearsight redirected Thoughtful's attention to Whiteout, because of possible futures involving Thoughtful and Whiteout, much to Listener's confusion, anger, and dismay.
Near the end of the book, when Listener was among the crowd watching Arctic's violent self-disembowelment, Clearsight sought her out and warned her to take everyone and leave the Night Kingdom for their own safety, in case her plan didn't work. Listener understood immediately, although called Darkstalker Clearsight's "psycho boyfriend." The two friends exchanged heartfelt goodbyes, then went their separate ways.
Despite Clearsight and Listener initially being wary of one another's NightWing abilities of mind-reading and precognition, they quickly became best friends. All of the futures involving Listener were warmer for Clearsight, with much more laughing. Clearsight felt genuinely happy around Listener, and even though she regarded Listener's obsession with scavengers slightly strange, she accepted her regardless. Clearsight was very affectionate towards her.
- "I already know you're crazy. When you walked in, you looked around the classroom and immediately categorized every student into 'safe to be friends with' and 'doomed if I talk to them.' What is that about? And just checking — I'm not in the doomed camp, am I?"
- ― to Clearsight (Darkstalker, page 98)
- "My family is superstitious about seers. We'd rather be surprised by life than know too much."
- ― to Clearsight (Darkstalker, page 99)
- "Exactly! That was exactly her feeling. Their feelings are crazy similar to ours. I need to ask some other mind readers if they've noticed it, too. Or maybe there are scrolls about it in the library. I don't think we've had many captive ones before, so maybe I'm making an awesome new discovery."
- ― to Clearsight about the scavengers (Darkstalker, page 100)
- "It's not a terrible idea, or you wouldn't be letting me do it, because you'd have seen it go wrong and you'd know we were going to be caught. Ipso facto, clearly we'll be fine, because you're just grumbling and not actually trying to stop me."
- ― to Clearsight about rescuing the scavengers from the NightWing school (Darkstalker, page 189)
- "Besides, we're not criminals, we're heroes! We're liberating the oppressed! Righting all wrongs! Saving the day!"
- ― to Clearsight about rescuing the scavengers from the NightWing school (Darkstalker, page 190)
- "Clearsight. Listen, I ― I know I told you I don't want to know the future. But if ― if I ever have to evacuate my family ― I mean, if it's a question of saving their lives … if something really, really bad is about to happen … then I guess I do want you to tell me."
- ― to Clearsight (Darkstalker, page 202-203)
- "He said, 'Excuse me, is this the way to the strawberry garden?' and I said, 'It certainly is!' and he said, 'Thank you' and I said, 'Are you going to the jubilee festival tonight?' and he said, 'Urgh, I suppose I have to,' and I said, 'Cool, see you there!' so, obviously, we are destined to be together forever. Don't you dare tell me otherwise!"
- ― to Clearsight about Thoughtful (Darkstalker, page 276)
- Listener wanted to become an animal rights activist.