Luna has pale, pearly, bright green scales of an elegant caterpillar color, with gold flecks along her back and tail. She had whorls of cobalt and gold in her wingbuds, and after her Metamorphosis, her wings were described to look like cascading petals of green sunlight.
Luna is described as being bubbly and excitable, but is also shown to be quite rebellious. She is affectionate towards Swordtail and cares deeply about her half-brother, Blue. Similarly to Swordtail, she resents Queen Wasp and the HiveWing tribe in general for "walking all over SilkWings," as shown in her thoughts at the conclusion of The Lost Continent. When Blue tells Luna not to listen to Swordtail's crazy ideas, she states that she was the one who originally had them. She is suspicious of Queen Wasp's true motivations for fostering fear about LeafWings. Sundew mentioned that Luna gave her a "survivor vibe." She is also quite intelligent, as she had the highest grade in her silk studies class. In The Lost Continent, Blue described her as the smartest dragon in their family. She seems to be tough, yet humorous and joyful, and has lots of qualities and ideas that pop up at seemingly random times. It is also stated that she thought darkly of the Book of Clearsight.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|Darkness of Dragons|
|In the epilogue, Luna (unnamed and unknown at the time) was being tended to by Jerboa II, as she was injured from a storm that had blown her from Pantala to Pyrrhia, all the way over the sea. She was seen lying on a bed of palm fronds and was noted to sit up and eye Moon and Qibli warily as they entered. She was said by Jerboa II to be the first visitor from the Lost Continent, which happened around the time of the epilogue of The Lost Continent.|
The Lost Continent Prophecy
|The Lost Continent|
|Luna first appeared when she woke Blue, excited to get her wings. He told her she technically had a few days until her wings grew, and she responded by turning Blue's hammock over, dumping him on the ground. Luna spent the day with Blue, apparently enjoying herself, although he noted that her silk glands were glowing very brightly. She mentioned to Blue that they hurt a bit. He worried that this wasn't normal, and tried to make her go see a doctor. She argued back, saying that every Metamorphosis is a bit different and she didn't want to waste her "perfect last day" getting examined by a HiveWing doctor that thought SilkWings were "weird and revolting." Blue relented, and they traveled to the mosaic garden, where they visited the Salvation Wall. They had a brief discussion about the mosaic, and then they played hide-and-seek and went to an art gallery until Luna said they needed to get to the Cocoon as quickly as possible, most likely because she was starting to enter her Metamorphosis trance. Upon arriving at the Cocoon, she was much less rebellious than usual when the guards told her she was late though she was on time, and she began to spin her cocoon with flamesilk, a very rare ability. Immediately, the guards surrounded her, and, despite Swordtail's best efforts, she was taken away.
Luna's cocoon was discovered by Blue when he was thrown into the flamesilk factory, and she soon woke up, marveling at her new wings, and used her silk for the first time (accidentally lighting a stack of her father's letters aflame). Shortly after she emerged, Blue notified her that their friends were there to rescue them. After failing to convince Admiral to come, she escaped with Blue, and they, along with Cricket, Sundew, and Swordtail, exited the Hive down the LeafWings' tunnel.
When they reached the end of the tunnel, she and Swordtail decided to go flying for a bit, only to run into some HiveWing soldiers. They began to fight, and Luna attempted to use her flamesilk on one of the soldiers, only for the wind to catch and tangle it, creating a sail of sorts that got swept up in the winds of the approaching storm, carrying her off into the sea.In the epilogue, when Jerboa II found her, Luna had just awoken, injured, and half-covered by sand on a Pyrrhian beach. She asked Jerboa II who she is, and Jerboa II was relieved that Luna could speak Dragon. Jerboa II took Luna to her hut, where she met Moon and Qibli. She was shocked by how much Moon looked like Clearsight and then learned that Moon can see the future, like Clearsight, and says that her tribe needed her. She then thought, "We're coming for you, Queen Wasp. And now we have a dragon who can really see the future. The reign of the HiveWings is over."
|The Hive Queen|
|In the prologue of The Hive Queen, Luna walks over to sit next to Moon in the sand. In this prologue, as was in the epilogue of Darkness of Dragons, Luna was extremely excited about meeting a NightWing as she thought very highly of their powers (thanks to the legends about Clearsight). Luna also had very high expectations of what this power could do to the HiveWings and how it would help them on their quest to stop Queen Wasp. She told Moon that in the old language, her name meant "moon." She also told her that she was worried about Blue and Swordtail. As Moon talked about The Lost Continent Prophecy, Luna noted that she knew the secret in the book (Book of Clearsight), and guessed what some of the lines meant. She was also very anxious to get home and was strongly disappointed when Turtle and Tsunami's arrival suggested hesitation towards the next step. Luna also presented many solutions to the problem (Queen Wasp), which were more or less rejected by the Moon and the others for their excessive levels of nastiness.|
|The Poison Jungle|
|Luna is mentioned multiple times throughout The Poison Jungle, Swordtail asks the PoisonWings if they saw any SilkWings around. When they get to the SapWing village, Swordtail hoped to find Luna, found Io instead.|
Luna is shown to love and care about her half-brother, and the two are very close. On Luna's Metamorphosis Day, Blue is the dragon that she chose to spend her time with. It is implied that the two often roamed Cicada Hive together, and were familiar with its market. However, she is quite often frustrated by him insisting on following the rules, and not wanting to rebel against the HiveWings. She also notices almost right away how much Blue had changed during the time she was in her Cocoon, saying "Wow, […] It really was a long five days, wasn't it?"
Luna is in a relationship with Swordtail and is shown to care a lot about him. At the beginning of The Lost Continent, she is confident that the two of them will be partnered. Despite orders from Swordtail's boss, Grasshopper, to stay home for Luna's Metamorphosis, he snuck out in order to see Luna before it began. Swordtail cares about Luna deeply and is willing to do anything to protect her. In The Lost Continent, it was mentioned that Luna was one of the only things he cares about. After Luna was blown across the sea, he searched the surrounding area for days, exhausting himself, and only gave up once Blue, Cricket, and Sundew gently told him that Luna probably wasn't near them anymore.
Luna seems to be closer to Moon than other Pyrrhian dragons. She seems thrilled about Moon’s ability to see the future, not knowing about Moon's mind reading powers. She believes Moon is the secret weapon the SilkWings and LeafWings need.
Luna seems to be okay with Jerboa, that might come from the fact that Jerboa was the first dragon she met in Pyrrhia. Jerboa also helped Luna when she was wounded, so Luna sees her as a friend.
- "Don't you 'actually' me. I'm your older sister and I've been to, like, twelve Metamorphosis days, plus I have the highest grade in our class in Silk Studies. I can 'actually' you under the table."
- ― to Blue (The Lost Continent, page 4-5)
- "Pffft. What Tussock's uncle saw was just a green SilkWing. He's just hysterical. And that collapse was obviously just shoddy workmanship. The sabotage story was so obviously a cover-up."
- ― on the topic of LeafWings (The Lost Continent, page 12)
- "Oooo, maybe we'll have a forbidden love!"
- ― joking about Hawker (The Lost Continent, page 16)
- "We're coming for you, Queen Wasp. And now we have a dragon who can really see the future. The reign of the HiveWings is over."
- ― about Queen Wasp (The Lost Continent, epilogue, page 301)
- "I am not spending my perfect last day being prodded by some HiveWing who thinks we are all weird and revolting anyway!"
- ― to Blue about seeing a doctor (The Lost Continent, page 28)
- "She can tell us what's going to happen next! She can see everything the HiveWings will do! She can predict Queen Wasp's next move and then the Chrysalis will know how to stop her!"
- ― thinking about Moonwatcher (The Hive Queen, prologue)
- "She's seeing the future RIGHT NOW!"
- ― thinking about Moonwatcher (The Hive Queen, prologue)
- "My name means 'moon' in the old language, did you know that? Now it's a kind of moth."
- ― to Moonwatcher, about the similarities between their names. (The Hive Queen, prologue)
- Luna's name means "moon" in the old dragon language.
- Luna also translates to moon in real-life Latin-based languages, such as Italian and Spanish.
- Luna is the first known Pantalan dragon to visit Pyrrhia.
- The Mosaic Garden is Luna's favorite place in Cicada Hive.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Lost Continent, page 4
- ↑ The Poison Jungle, page 111
- ↑ The Lost Continent, page 236
- ↑ The Lost Continent, page 33
- ↑ The Lost Continent, page 5
- ↑ The Lost Continent, page 259
- ↑ The Hive Queen, prologue
- ↑ The Lost Continent, page 16
Admiral • Argus • Blue • Burnet • Cinnabar • Clubtail • Danaid • Festoon • Fritillary • Grayling • Heliconian • Io • Luna • Morpho • Pierid • Silverspot • Swordtail • Tau • Temora • Tussock • Whitespeck • Xenica