The NightWing island became the secret home of the NightWings shortly after the tribe abandoned the lost city of night. It is connected to the Rainforest Kingdom by an enchanted tunnel, but could also be accessed by flying over the sea. It is located on the north side of Pyrrhia, although the exact location is unknown.
After the island's volcano erupted in The Dark Secret, the NightWings fled to the Rainforest Kingdom and accepted Glory as their new queen (an event known as the NightWing Exodus). Its clouds of smoke and ash from the volcano made it nearly impossible for dragons to live there. Most of the island's surviving dragons were weak and malnourished, and their respiratory systems were damaged by the island's poor air quality (many of them were described to have ragged, heavy breathing). Fewer and fewer NightWing dragonets were born each year, and because the island did not support many living things, the NightWings were forced to survive on very scarce and unhealthy prey, as shown in The Dark Secret when Morrowseer ate a decaying albatross covered in maggots.
The island is smaller than Winter had imagined when he thought of the NightWing's secret home. It made him feel instantly claustrophobic, and there is a vast ocean lurking in all directions. Dense ripples of black lava flows cover everything, still glowing orange and yellow where liquid fire is spilling through the cracks. The volcano cuts jaggedly into the sky, but it looks like as though the top has been smashed in, leaving a smoking hole. Thick gray clouds, heavy with ash and smoke and sizzling with lightning, stretch across the sky. Everything smells like sulfur and fire and death. There are sulfurous smoke vents dotting the ground.
The island was covered in trees when the NightWings arrived on it, but the volcano erupted several times over the next two millennia, so the forests were almost all destroyed. The island is currently a rocky, mountainous wasteland with lava rivers crisscrossing it surrounded by a stormy, gray, cold, and extremely salty sea. The one patch of forest on the island consists of several clusters of dead, leafless, smoke-clogged trees. Some areas were unsafe to walk on due to underground lava pockets and hot rock surfaces.
The kingdom is located on an island a fair distance north from the mainland of Pyrrhia, possibly between the Ice and Sky Kingdom, or directly north of the Sky Kingdom. Thick smog pressured over the landmass, and clouds of sulfur and smoke left the island with nothing but darkness and ash-filled water. It lacked in proper sustenance to sustain any dragon life, but thanks to an animus-touched portal created by Stonemover that leads to the rainforest, the NightWings were able to hunt there occasionally, but they were noted to be terrible hunters, having to rely on their venomous bites to infect and kill animals.
There were black stone fortresses where the NightWings lived and hosted meetings with their queen. A unit of small cells for the captured RainWing prisoners whose venom was experimented on, and some prisoners from other tribes who may have wandered onto the island and got caught, or had been taken prisoner from the mainland, were guarded by a lava river.
No visitor to the Night Kingdom (especially RainWings) ever had any positive comments. For example, Squid said it made his scales feel horribly dry. Fatespeaker described it when she said that she hadn't expected her kingdom to be so dark and dreary, but she still accepted it because it was her tribe's home.
The is a destroyed, wrecked structure. When it was still standing, it was built on the side to the main volcano, the NightWing fortress was a series of volcanic tunnels and a half-buried structure built to house the queen and most of the tribe. Known locations within the fortress included:
- Dragonet dormitory: A place where the NightWings under 10 years slept. It is also assumable that there was a school nearby, due to Starflight thinking about what his NightWing acquaintances were learning as he and the false dragonets of destiny trained.
- Library: A place once full of scrolls for school projects and more. Some are labeled 'For NightWing eyes only', but most appear to be scrolls that the NightWings have published across Pyrrhia.
- Throne room: The queen's private chambers. The only way to enter was by a secret entrance behind a detailed map of Pyrrhia with scratched-off scavenger dens (most likely the meeting places of Morrowseer and Blister)
- Mastermind's lab: A series of rooms where Mastermind performed experiments, usually on the venom of the captured RainWings. It also contained a desalination system that provided clean water to the tribe as well as a floor for vulcanology. Some NightWings were also tested for toxins in their teeth there, though these experiments proved futile.
- Dungeon: Splendor, Deathbringer, Flame, and Ochre were all imprisoned here.
- Abandoned fortress: A part of the fortress destroyed by an eruption of the volcano. All of the NightWings' treasure was lost until a tunnel was blasted to reach the treasure. A dreamvisitor was the only thing left behind other than the corpses of two NightWing guards. Starflight finds the dreamvisitor in The Dark Secret, hidden in one of the dead dragon's talons.
- Meeting place: A place where the NightWings talked with their queen; it also had a lake of lava inside and a small rock spire that someone sits on to be questioned.
- RainWing prison: the place where the RainWing prisoners were chained and venom-tested.
- Queen's Eye: The screen Battlewinner hid behind and issued orders from.