Pearl was a female SeaWing dragonet who was introduced in Darkstalker. She ascended the throne at the age of five after the events of the Royal SeaWing Massacre as the last remaining heir to the SeaWing throne.
Pearl was blunt, and often exasperated by Fathom and Indigo's immature behavior, but seemed unfairly jealous when Fathom was announced an animus dragon and began receiving special treatment. She sometimes used an exceedingly bored voice, and often sighed about how loud and immature Fathom and Indigo were. She studied herself in mirrors for a long while before attending a party, implying she is concerned about her physical appearance.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
She was mentioned when Moon was reading a scroll titled The Animus Histories, which explains that Pearl was Fathom's sister, the granddaughter of Albatross, and one of the few dragons who survived the massacre. It says that Pearl became queen peacefully and ruled for many years.
Pearl was the sister of Fathom and one of the dragonets chosen for animus testing, which later became the Talons of Power ceremony. She tried to shush Indigo multiple times as they waited, and was the one to point out that it was Fathom's coconut that had hit Albatross in the chest.
During the Royal SeaWing Massacre, she used the glass from the shattered aquariums to cut herself, covering herself in the blood to play dead. After Albatross was killed, she emerged from her hiding place and claimed her new role as queen of the SeaWings. Her first decree was to outlaw animus magic throughout the Kingdom. Fathom made a blood oath to her, promising never to use his magic again as long as he lived and never have dragonets, which she told him meant he had to stay away from Indigo, whom he was in love with. She then appointed Indigo to be the head of her personal guard.
About a year later, Current, another survivor of the massacre, returned from being held as a "guest" of the queen of the NightWings. He reported that the NightWings had an animus, and that he was using his powers. To avoid a similar tragedy from occurring in the Night Kingdom, Pearl sent Indigo, Wharf, and Lionfish along with Fathom as his guards, to the Night Kingdom, in which they are assigned to train Darkstalker and to warn him of the price of using his magic.
It is unknown what happened to her after the events of Darkstalker. It is possible that one of Fathom's dragonets challenged her, as the current line of SeaWings is descended from Fathom.
After the events of the massacre, Pearl's relationship with her brother was strained, as she feared that Fathom would go insane very much like Albatross, and did not trust him. Her love towards her brother was still there as she accepted his oath and spared him from death. Fathom noted that while he and Pearl didn't always get along, Pearl was also noted to be never mean to him for no reason.
Despite being exasperated by her, Pearl considered Indigo as her friend, and stated that she wanted Indigo to live a happy life. Pearl believed that Indigo would be honest with her, but planned for Indigo to stay away from Fathom despite her and the prince's wishes.
Fathom mentioned that there was a weird vibe between his sister and their mother. He suspects that Pearl could legally challenge their mother if she ascended the throne.
- "You two are HOPELESS. Have you never seen a dragon wear pearls before? They can't hang this way or they'll make it impossible to swim, and besides, everyone knows a double wind around the neck is most flattering. You have to tighten the slack here and drape it like this …"
- ― fixing Indigo's pearl necklace for the party (Darkstalker, page 58)
- "You can thank me by distracting Great-Uncle Humpback if he tries to corner me again with stories about the grand old days. 'You know, when I was a young whippersnapper, we had scavenger sashimi every afternoon. But where have they all gone, can you tell me that, eh? They can't have gotten smarter! Someone's been interfering with my scavenger supply! Some toothy little blowfishes, I'll show them."
- ― imitating Humpback (Darkstalker, page 59)
- "I sliced myself up with the glass from the aquarium. I covered myself in blood and pretended to be dead. He walked right past me."
- ― to Fathom about how she avoided Albatross (Darkstalker, page 126-127)
- "Besides, it's not fair to her. She's my friend, too, and I want her to have a happy life. Don't you? Think about it. What could she ever have with you? No dragonets, no future, nothing but constant danger. Do you want that for her? […] I'll make her part of my honor guard, promote her up the ranks quickly. In a few years, I'll find a minor noble she can have a family with. She'll have a safe, normal life."
- ― to Fathom about Indigo (Darkstalker, page 130)
- "That story is nonsense. Who would want an animus?"
- ― to Indigo's question on whether the NightWings might try to steal Fathom (Darkstalker, page 160)
- She was noted to have had poor handwriting when she was a dragonet.
- She preferred everything perfectly symmetrical.
- When she was two, Pearl took geography tutor along with Fathom and Indigo.
- Before the Royal SeaWing Massacre, Pearl was thought of as "the one who might be queen someday." Because of this, she had special diplomacy classes, extra policy sessions with the queen, private lessons to improve her handwriting, and advanced etiquette courses.
Present: Abalone • Flounder • Herring • Kelp • Lagoon • Nautilus • Pearl • Piranha • Riptide • Snail • Snapper • Squid • Tempest • Tortoise • Urchin • Webs • Whirlpool