Peril's twin brother, referred to as Ember, was a male SkyWing dragonet. He was born with too little fire, while his twin sister, Peril, was born with too much, which left him very weak upon his and Peril's hatching. Queen Scarlet ordered their mother, Kestrel, to kill one of the newly hatched twins, claiming she would spare the other and Kestrel. Knowing the weaker dragonet would have less of a chance of survival than Peril would, Kestrel obeyed Scarlet's orders and killed him, which would haunt her for the rest of her life. However, Scarlet changed her mind afterwards and ordered the guards to kill both of them, which resulted in Kestrel's attempt to escape with Peril. The attempt failed when Peril burned Kestrel's talons with her firescales while she attempted to carry her. As a result, Kestrel was forced to drop Peril, leaving her at Queen Scarlet's mercy, and escaped with her own life.
Peril's brother had too little fire, and was therefore a pale, sickly orange color.
Kestrel fled with her twin dragonets but was intercepted by Queen Scarlet at the Diamond Spray River. Scarlet offered Kestrel forgiveness for her disobedience if she killed one of the twins. Kestrel killed the dragonet with too little fire, who was Peril's brother, an act that would haunt her forever. After she did this, Scarlet changed her mind and told Kestrel to kill Peril too and return to the Sky Kingdom for trial. Kestrel refused to kill Peril and tried to fly away with her daughter. However, because Peril had too much fire, Kestrel was burned when she grabbed her dragonet, forcing Kestrel to flee without her. This left Kestrel with permanent burn scars on her palms, which allowed Tsunami to identify her later on in The Lost Heir.
Seven years later, after she was told the truth while Kestrel was on trial, Peril said she never wanted to know Kestrel due to her brother's death at her claws, claiming, "I may not want you dead, but I don't want to know you." It is unknown whether Peril has forgiven her mother for her brother's death.
When Clay asked Peril to save Sunny for them, Peril was angry and asked why Sunny was so important. Tsunami told her that Sunny was like a sister to them all, and asked if Peril would try to save her brother if he was here and alive. Peril thought for a moment and agreed that she would try to help. This shows that Peril and her brother might have been friends if he had lived, or that Peril feels a connection to the brother she never knew.
Family Tree Edit
- An ember is a piece of burning or glowing coal or wood in a dying fire.
- The name itself may refer to him dying soon after he was born, or the little amount of fire he had.
- In Tui T. Sutherland's annotation of The Dragonet Prophecy, she mentioned that in her first draft, Peril and her brother were in the prophecy, as well as an IceWing, but decided that eight dragonets were too much.
- This was later stated again in the annotated version of The Dragonet Prophecy.
- Tui also mentioned that he would have been "a pretty sad little dragon".
- Tui said in a chat that his name was going to be Ember, but she decided that he wouldn't survive. She also said that no one should get attached to the name, as she might reuse it for a different SkyWing. But many fans still refer to him as Ember.
- Tui said that SkyWings with too little fire would have sickly pale red or orange scales and would get sick more easily than normal SkyWings.
- This was shown to be at least somewhat true, as in the The Dragonet Prophecy (Graphic Novel), he was shown to have cream-colored or pale orange scales, with salmon pink wings.
- Queen Scarlet led Peril to believe that she burnt her brother while they were in their egg together as a result of her taking his fire.