Princess Burn was a female SandWing and one of the three rival sisters who fought for the throne of the Kingdom of Sand during the War of SandWing Succession for eighteen years. Out of her two sisters, Blister and Blaze, she was the oldest, biggest, and the strongest. She was also believed to be the fiercest and most brutal of the three sisters. She had an interest for strange, unusual, or deformed creatures, which she killed and stuffed to keep in her stronghold's Weirdling Tower. In the first arc, Burn was allied with the SkyWings and later, the MudWings. She demanded that her allies called her "Queen Burn" rather than just Burn or Princess Burn. According to Queen Oasis, they had an odd but reasonable relationship before Oasis had died.
Burn's scales were described as "pale gold scales that radiated heat like a desert horizon" and also as pale yellow, while her eyes were "black as obsidian," with no white to them at all. She was an enormous, heavy-set dragon with jagged scars all over her scales, one of which was particularly nasty and ran down all along her side under her left wing. Her long, massive claws and teeth ware stained red from all the blood she had shed in the war.
Burn was described as the largest and most powerful of her siblings, and she used this to her advantage, fighting her way through any obstacles. She was extremely brutal and violent and used pure force to win her battles, cutting down opponents with sheer size and strength, no matter what the losses were. She was extremely sadistic and loved killing, mutilating, and stuffing things, which she displayed in her Weirdling Tower. The tower was said by Smolder to be "safer than the dungeon, but more psychologically disabling..." due to the thought that you might ever belong there. Some of the things she included in her Wierdling Tower included a dead stuffed NightWing, a MudWing missing it's claws and teeth, hybrid dragons (such as a SandWing-IceWing, and Burn wished to include Sunny in her collection as well), among other items before the tower was knocked down. At some point before the war, Burn used to cut the legs of rabbits to see what would happen. Burn was ruthless, displayed no mercy to her enemies, and showed no qualms about viciously killing and mounting the head of anyone who opposed her on the walls of her stronghold. Queen Oasis stated that if you gave her something weird to look at, she would vanish into her room for days.
Burn was the eldest, strongest, and largest of the three daughters of Queen Oasis. She got along fine with her mother, Oasis, who mentioned that if she gave Burn an odd-looking or deformed thing or creature, she would disappear into her room for days studying it. It seemed that Burn was Queen Oasis's favorite daughter, considering how well they got along.
After Queen Oasis was murdered by three treasure-seeking scavengers, Burn became embroiled in conflict for the throne of the SandWings with her two younger sisters, Blaze and Blister. She also had three brothers, the only living one is Smolder, whom she is shown to abuse, and she had killed her other two brothers, Scald and Singe for unknown reasons, most likely because of disobedience or doing something without Burn's permission.
Shortly after Queen Oasis's death, Burn took over the palace and drove Blaze and Blister out, or Blister and Blaze escaped before she got to them. Burn was allied with the SkyWings and MudWings, two very powerful fighting tribes, and appeared to be winning the war.
Burn and Blister lured their sister, Blaze, into a sandstorm. After Six-Claws rescued her, he went into training for the army. After the death of Queen Oasis, Six-Claws served as a general in Burn's army, under the condition that she received his talons after his death. She tells him that when he dies, his army is to cut off his talons and give them to her for her to collect.
She was later seen arguing with Six-Claws about attacking the MudWings instead of finding Blaze. During the ensuing argument, she crippled Dune so he was unable to fly again. This is one of the events that placed doubt in Six-Claws, causing him to leave the army with Dune and Kindle.
She traveled all the way from her stronghold after Queen Scarlet captured the Dragonets of Destiny. She intended to watch Scarlet dispose of the dragonets in her gladiatorial arena and take Sunny back with her for her collection of oddities, but the dragonets escaped when Glory attempted to spray venom on Burn. However, instead of hitting Burn, Burn shoved Queen Scarlet in her way and shot into the sky. The SandWing sent search parties out after the dragonets, but they managed to avoid them.
After the escape of the dragonets, Burn took Queen Scarlet prisoner to "keep her safe", and because she was "in no condition to battle Ruby for the throne." With Scarlet being imprisoned, Ruby became the functioning queen of the SkyWings. Burn considers Ruby to be an unsatisfactory ruler, because she refuses to join any battle on Burn's side until she has "restored order to the Sky Kingdom" and "established the stability of her own throne."
Burn is put forward as a possible kidnapper of RainWings, but Glory shoots down that idea, saying that Burn doesn't like pretty things, but rather "horribly weird things."
In the epilogue, Burn is shown in her stronghold, discussing the Dragonets of Destiny with Smolder. She and Smolder decide to kill all five of the dragonets. She also spoke of Scarlet as her guest, not her prisoner.
Burn was never present at her stronghold while Sunny was being held captive, but appeared when the dragonets of destiny were choosing the SandWing queen. Blister mentioned the gift she gave her, and Burn ordered Smolder to bring it to her. Worried, Sunny told Burn to be careful, and Burn mocked Blister, pulling out the dragonbite viper that was inside the box. Burn took a few steps toward Blister, planning to have it bite her, but a second viper leaped out of the box and bit Burn's ankle, and shortly after, Burn died, leaving her two sisters to fight for the throne. Smolder later said that he never thought he'd outlive Burn.
Burn is seen in the prologue of Escaping Peril seated next to Queen Scarlet as she first reveals Peril to her children and other SkyWings of importance. Scarlet tells them how Burn killed a Talons of Peace IceWing (Hvitur) that was trying to steal a SkyWing egg and that they must destroy all the SkyWing eggs hatching on the Brightest Night. Burn is anxious to kill the rest of the eggs, but Scarlet makes Peril complete the task by burning the eggs and thus, ending the life of the little dragons inside of them. This also satisfies Scarlet's desire to make a show.
Burn didn't trust prophecies whatsover. She thought it would be safer to just kill the Dragonests of Destiny instead of wait for them to choose her, hence why she wanted them dead. Since they may get in the way of the throne, Burn didn't want to risk it.
Burn despised both her sisters, and didn't seem to have a good relationship with them even before the war started. She wanted to kill both of them ever since Queen Oasis was murdered by scavengers so she could become queen.
Smolder was the only brother that Burn allowed to live. She tends to feel uncomfortable around Smolder because he has a similar appearance to Blister. It was implied many times that Burn seemed to threaten Smolder with death so he'd obey her direct orders at all times, as Smolder fears for his life whenever something goes wrong for him.
Oasis and Princess Burn had a good relationship. Oasis said that they had an "odd but reasonable relationship". Oasis could easily distract Burn by giving her something strange, and Burn would go into her room for days to study it. At the stronghold during The Brightest Night, Thorn comments that she was impressed at Burn's poetic tombstone for Queen Oasis.
Family Tree Edit
|King Char†||Queen Oasis†||Two Unnamed Sisters†|
|Prince Scald†||Prince Singe†||Princess Burn†||Princess Blister†||Princess Blaze|
- "Bind his mouth, [...] Quickly!"
- "Too late. [...] You won't be using your freezing-death breath on us, ice dragon."
- "This is not an IceWing egg, [...] You stole this from the SkyWing palace. [...] You thought you got away unnoticed, didn't you? [...] 'My SkyWing ally is not a fool. Queen Scarlet knows everything that happens in her kingdom. Her lookouts reported an IceWing thief sneaking away, and I decided finding you might add some violence to my boring visit."
- "Yes, This is a SkyWing egg about to hatch, [...] Why would my sister send you to steal a SkyWing dragonet? Blaze hates any dragon younger and prettier than she is. [...] Unless... the brightest night is tomorrow... [...] You're not is Blaze's army, are you? You're one of those insipid underground peacemongers."
- "So IceWing, is this egg a part of your pathetic prophecy?" - Before she dropped the SkyWing egg.
- "I'll kill you - I'll claw that - it hurts - stop it - stop the-" - Her last words, when she gets bitten by the Dragonbite Viper.
- "It's been ages since I ripped a dragon's throat out." - To Smolder
- "I don't care. No prophecy decides what happens to me. I'm not letting a bunch of words or baby dragons decide when I die or what I bow to. We can have peace when my sisters are dead and I am queen of the SandWings." - To Hvitur
- "First, I kill my sisters. Then I kill all of you, and I`ll stuff you and spend the next hundred years telling your dead faces about peaceful solutions." - To the Dragonets of Destiny.
- "Of course it is, especially if it is from my clever little sister. Sending me a present, thinking I'll open it without any suspicion. As if I didn't recognize the hiss of a dragonbite viper when I hear it." - To Sunny, when Smolder gives her a box from Blister containing 2 dragonbite vipers
- Burn was the oldest and the biggest out of her siblings.
- Burn was the first of the SandWing princesses to die.
- She was the first and only known dragon to die of a Dragonbite Viper bite, and first of two dragons to be bitten, the second being Clay.
- She and Blister once planned to kill Blaze when they were dragonets.
- She has been noted as one of the largest dragons in the series.
- Burn might’ve had a possible fear of scavengers.
- It was stated that Burn was not interested in having dragonets.
- In the main series, Burn was described as having eyes like black orbs, with no white to them; in the graphic novel, however, she has brown eyes.
- Burn has scars all over her body, however, in the graphic novel she has none.
- In the graphic novel, she was shown to be smaller than Morrowseer.
- In The Brightest Night, Sunny saw that Burn had a stuffed dragon with white scales and no wings in her collection, and was told by Smolder that "Someone brought him to Burn ten years ago, claiming he was the forbidden offspring of a SandWing and an IceWing." However, it is possible, though unlikely, that this could have been a male SilkWing dragonet who never went through Metamorphosis, rather than a hybrid. In addition, Burn had half of a purple-and-gray speckled wing in her collection, which is most likely part of a SilkWing's wing. It is unknown how she got this.
- Burn is shown in a chestplate in the graphic novel but there is no mention of it in the origanal series (like how Blister is shown with a helmet)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 The Dragonet Prophecy, prologue
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Brightest Night, page 271
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Dragonet Prophecy, page 195
Addax • Agave • Armadillo • Camel • Capybara • Cobra • Dune • Horizon • Jerboa • Jerboa (DoD) • Kindle • Meerkat • Needle • Ocotillo • Ostrich (Deserter) • Palm • Parch • Prickle • Quicksand • Rattlesnake • Saguaro • Sandstorm • Sirocco • Six-Claws • Tawny • Torch • Viper • Vulture