Queen Moorhen is a female MudWing bejeweled with various gemstones that display her importance as the current queen of the MudWing tribe. By size and age, she is possibly the current oldest queen in Pyrrhia, described to be as large as Morrowseer. Like every other MudWing queen, she has not and will most likely never be challenged for the throne by her sister, because her siblings are a very tightly knit group and they would never try to kill each other, even for the throne.
Moorhen was the bigwings of her clutch, and because of that, she is very protective of her siblings, which includes three brothers and a sister. Her protective instincts extend to the rest of her tribe as well, explaining why the MudWings joined the war. Burn threatened Moorhen to fight for her; otherwise, she would attack the Mudwings (maybe even threatening to slaughter any Mudwings she got her talons on). According to Reed, Moorhen is a good queen and is loved by her fellow MudWings. She would do anything to protect her tribe from danger, even collaborating with Burn, and it is shown in her long reign over them.
When the dragonets of destiny and Webs are walking through the Rainforest Kingdom, Tsunami notices some MudWings headed their way but notes that they couldn't possibly see them in the fog, but Starflight suggests that they should hide because they were only a day's flight from Queen Moorhen's palace and that they wouldn't want to get caught and be imprisoned by her. Glory also sarcastically said that Moorhen probably would not give them tea and send them on their way if they met her.
Moorhen gathered her army to prepare for an invasion of the Ice Kingdom along with her SkyWing allies, in which they planned to wipe out the whole of the IceWing forces. Sunny visited Moorhen during one of her nightmares using a dreamvisitor to warn her about the battle. Sunny managed to convince her not to go through with the invasion because it would kill too many dragons on both sides, and arrive at Burn's Stronghold a few days later for the peace summit. Although Moorhen did agree to try, she was still unsure it would solve anything but was present at the Stronghold at the end of the book for the crowning of Queen Thorn. Also while this was unbeknownst to all but the Icewings the Great Ice Cliff would have slaughtered the entirety of Burn's attack.
Later, Anemone mentions she hasn't eaten since she left Queen Moorhen's palace.
At the beginning of the book, Ex-Queen Scarlet arrives at Jade Mountain to throw the decapitated head of Queen Glory at Queen Ruby, her SkyWing guards, and the Dragonets of Destiny before fleeing. With the help of Prince Turtle, the group discovers that the head is actually a MudWing head enchanted to look like Glory, and Ruby decides to contact Queen Moorhen to let her know that Scarlet has killed one of her subjects and therefore must be around her swamps to get to a MudWing.
In Darkness of Dragons, Queen Thorn mentions Moorhen, saying that she should send a dragon with an earring enchanted to protect her from Darkstalker. However, the book misspells her name, spelling Mudhen instead of Moorhen. In the epilogue, Queen Coral mentions in her letter to Turtle that she is rebuilding the Summer Palace and hopes it will be a center of trade and diplomacy, especially with Queen Moorhen and Queen Glory.
"Here? Now? [...] Can’t you see I’m in the middle of a campaign? And everyone’s dying and it’s all my fault and I can’t save them? [...] No. No, I command you not to die." - To Sunny about her dream during her dreamvisit in The Brightest Night.
"What does that mean? [...] Is that a threat?"
"This is really a dream? Then how are you here?"
"I have a guess, [...] Shouldn't there be five of you?"
"Is that an omen? [...] Did your NightWing tell you that?"
"But then the war will be over, and perhaps that'll be worth it. Burn has promised us immunity from attack for the next hundred years if we help her win. If we don't-- she'll destroy us. She is a powerful enemy, little SandWing. A lot more powerful than you, and she's an enemy I don't intend to make."
"It sounds like a tale from one of the SeaWing queen's silly romantic scrolls. What are you planning to do?"
"I'll think about it. Are you choosing Burn, then?"
"That sounds like you're avoiding the question."
"It sounds like it, [...] I'll see what I can do."
"Good luck, [...] You're very small to be in charge of saving the world." - To Sunny during her dreamvisit in The Brightest Night.
"Hmmm. [...] Maybe. [...] I hope so."
- A moorhen is a group of waterfowl in the family Rallidae; they resemble dark ducks.
- The Common Moorhen was recently renamed the Common Gallinule.
- Burn threatened to kill her tribe if she didn't join the war, but promised one hundred years of immunity from attack in exchange for joining her (however, considering what Starflight said about her under the mountain, Burn was most likely just lying in order to get Moorhen's army, and probably would have a war with them just for the fun of it, regardless of their deal)
- Moorhen and Coral are the only two queens to be part of the original leadership at the time of The Dragonet Prophecy and still lead in Darkness of Dragons.
- She knows of the SeaWings' scrolls as referring to them in The Brightest Night as "The SeaWing queen's silly, romantic scrolls".
- She has been described as an older queen. This is probably due to the fact that a MudWing's siblings would never betray each other, as they have a very close bond instinctively.
- Moorhen is most likely not descended from the original line of MudWing queens, as Chameleon has mentioned that there was a time the MudWings were left with no heirs which ended in chaos.
- Sunny mentioned she read that MudWings were only challenged by daughters, not sisters because a sister would never kill another sibling.
- She had originally allied with Blister and the SeaWings, but after the events of Assassin, they broke their alliance.
- In Darkness of Dragons, page 154, paragraph 2, Queen Thorn accidentally refers to her as Mudhen. This was corrected in the E-book, and later printings of it as well.
- Reed and Pheasant are currently working for her, as of Moon Rising.
Present: Queen Moorhen