RainWings, also known as rainforest dragons to scavengers, are a Pyrrhian dragon tribe living in the Rainforest Kingdom. They are currently ruled by Queen Glory. The RainWings are a peaceful tribe and were not involved in the War of SandWing Succession.
RainWings are long and graceful, with ruffs behind their ears, curved horns, and prehensile tails that are used primarily for climbing trees and hanging in the rainforest they inhabit, like birds of paradise. When afraid, insulted, or angry, RainWings flare their ruffs as a sign of aggression or hostility.
RainWings have small, round scales that can change color. Most RainWings prefer vivid, bright colors. They can control the colors of the scales, though they often have a hard time stopping strong emotions from showing through. Most RainWings have a 'default' color scheme that they set their scales to when they aren't showing emotions. RainWings' eyes can change color, and they may not be able to camouflage when they are afraid or in pain. RainWings are able to blend into their surroundings at will otherwise.
RainWings are able to uncannily mimic the appearance of other tribes with their scales. RainWing dragonets develop their color-shifting scales while they are still in their eggs, which are a smooth white.
Colors to Moods
|RainWing Colors to Moods|
RainWings are generally inclined to vegetarianism, but some will eat monkeys and other rainforest animals if they feel like catching them.Fruit and various rainforest plants are the main part of their diets. Sunlight may act as a partial food source for RainWings.
RainWings have a long, prehensile tail great for swinging through the rainforest, long fangs, and color-changing scales. Some RainWings are able to mimic bird calls.
They are capable of absorbing sunlight, which gives them energy and causes their scales to become brighter. They have a dedicated time to sleep in the sun, known as "suntime", and RainWings who cannot sleep in the sun may have duller or unchangeable scales. Sunlight is also vital to the development of other RainWing abilities, such as venom, and to their good mood.
RainWing scales change color by bending light.When at ease, RainWing scales may reflect their emotions. They can also manipulate their scales to be any color they wish. Strong emotions may break through a chosen scale color. RainWings can also use their scales for camouflage, reflecting their surroundings and making them effectively invisible to most dragons. Other RainWings may be able to spot a disguised dragon; this is a skill they develop young, during games of hide-and-seek. RainWings can change the color of their eyes and are able to manipulate a fine level of detail onto their scales.
RainWings who are born blind always show their emotions on their scales, and cannot manually change them. When relaxed, their scales will automatically camouflage to their surroundings.
RainWings cannot see as far or as well as IceWings or SkyWings, but they can see more clearly in the dark, for at night they have no light.
RainWings live an idyllic lifestyle, with easy access to food and shelter, and no involvement in conflicts. They are mostly ignored by other tribes. RainWings are viewed by the other tribes as lazy, unintelligent, and weak.RainWings have a unique, peaceful royal challenge, in accordance with their pacifistic beliefs. Before Queen Glory's royal challenge, queens were on a rotation, and the position was given to any dragon who wanted it. The dragons with "shiny names" were more likely to want the position. They have blowguns with sleeping darts, coated in tree-frog poison. These darts are used as a form of protection, to knock out strange dragons wandering into the forest, and for games.
RainWings perform a venom test before having eggs, ensuring that they are not blood relatives. This prevents inbreeding in the tribe, as formal families do not exist. RainWings engage in communal raising of dragonets, with everyone pitching in to help. RainWing dragonets are trained to aim their venom, glide through trees without getting snagged, and gather fruit. They are not taught to read or write, but some may train as medics, as RainWings have multiple healers in their village. These healers keep their scales calming shades of blue and white.
Under the rule of Queen Glory, RainWings have begun to sort eggs and may begin to form family units. Previously, they would not count or track their eggs. They have dragons keeping watch in the Rainforest for danger, both RainWings and NightWings. They are also beginning to read and write, and are attempting to grow a moon globe tree (from the Ice Kingdom) for light.
In the time of Darkstalker, RainWings were a more threatening tribe. They had merchants selling both fruits and potions to the other tribes. They could also read and write at some point prior to the events of the series.It is unknown of how they lost this knowledge.
RainWings may be named after Rainforest flora and fauna (such as Kinkajou, Tamarin, Jambu, and Orchid), fruits (such as Banana and Coconut), and adjectives (such as Exquisite, Handsome, and Dazzling.)
RainWings have a list of names that they cycle through; when they reach the end of the list, they return to the beginning, meaning that many RainWings have had the same names throughout history.
Click here for a list of known RainWings.
Students at Jade Mountain
- Tui has confirmed that RainWings also have accents different from any other tribe since they have been isolated from most tribes. She said it was close to an Australian accent. Glory does not have this accent, due to being raised outside of the tribe.
- It is shown in The Hidden Kingdom that some RainWings can perfectly imitate bird calls, such as toucans.
- Tui has said that the base RainWing scale color is a lime green like Chameleon's scales.
- Tui has stated she may do a winglet or other book on the history of RainWings.
- Scavengers call them "rainforest dragons," referring to them in The Wingwatcher's guide to the Dragons of Pyrrhia as probably the deadliest, stealthiest and the ones to watch out for the most.
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 41
- ↑ The Dragonet Prophecy (graphic novel), page 31
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 72-73
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Hidden Kingdom, page 41
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Hidden Kingdom, page 20
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Hidden Kingdom, page 58
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 29-30
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 269
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 251
- ↑ Moon Rising, page 169
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 6
- ↑ The Lost Heir, page 291
- ↑ The Brightest Night, page 211
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 193
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 10
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 156
- ↑ Talons of Power, page 109
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 The Hidden Kingdom, page 42
- ↑ The Dragonet Prophecy, page 16
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 The Hidden Kingdom, page 30
- ↑ The Dark Secret, page 237
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 52
- ↑ The Dark Secret, page 80
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 52
- ↑ Talons of Power, page 168
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 27
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 228
- ↑ The Brightest Night, page 204
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 226
- ↑ Moon Rising, page 168
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 154
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 287
- ↑ Moon Rising, page 57
- ↑ Talons of Power, page 150
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 185
- ↑ The Dragonet Prophecy, page 242
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 30-49
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 265
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 The Hidden Kingdom, page 29
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 109
- ↑ The Dragonet Prophecy, page 238
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20150701031832/http://wingsoffire.scholastic.com/books/wings-of-fire-book-one-the-dragonet-prophecy/read/5#chapter-3 Chapter 3]
- ↑ Dragon guides
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 82
- ↑ https://www.deviantart.com/xthedragonrebornx/journal/Tui-and-Questions-Answered-691255321
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 278
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 270
- ↑ The Dark Secret, page
- ↑ The Dark Secret, page 191
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 50.2 The Hidden Kingdom, page 43
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 159
- ↑ The Dragonet Prophecy, page
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 25
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 53-54
- ↑ 56.0 56.1 The Hidden Kingdom, page 252
- ↑ 57.0 57.1 The Hidden Kingdom, page 21
- ↑ The Dark Secret, page 235
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 37
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 264
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 44
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 38
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 60
- ↑ The Hidden Kingdom, page 229
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 58
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 60
- ↑ Winter Turning, page 268-269
- ↑ Darkstalker, page 4
- ↑ Darkstalker, page 235
- ↑ Runaway
- ↑ Darkness of Dragons, page 237