Scrolls are the primary literature of Pyrrhia, written and read by almost all of the dragon tribes. They are printed with ink on an unknown variant of paper, likely vellum or parchment, as heavily hinted by Starflight. Sticks of graphite are also used to write, but Coral and Whirlpool were seen to write by dipping their claws in squid ink and scratching on the paper. Moonwatcher uses a "long, thin reed" to draw the mountain she saw in Icicle's dream.
IceWings: Winter explains that his mother made him memorize stories of dragons attempting the Diamond Trial, revealing that IceWings can read. He also mentions IceWing sagas that "told the history of the world."
MudWings: Pheasant said she was reading about the Prophecy, hinting that MudWings sometimes read scrolls; this is also shown when Sora is reading in the school library. Moorhen mentions how she has read Queen Coral's scrolls before, giving more evidence of literacy in MudWings.
NightWings: The NightWings read and wrote many scrolls, and both Starflight and Mastermind have always been fascinated by them. There used to be an extensive library in both the Night Kingdom and the lost city of night.
RainWings: RainWings didn't read scrolls and never knew about them or the rest of Pyrrhia until Glory claimed the RainWing throne. Sunny was seen teaching a RainWing dragonet class how to read, and Kinkajou went to a nearby school to get some paper and a blank scroll for Moonwatcher to draw and record what she saw in Icicle's dream. There is also a very old RainWing scroll in the library in Possibility.
SandWings: Thorn of the Outclaws has been shown writing Wanted posters, and these are likely scrolls or made from the same material as scrolls since it seems the only papers used are scrolls. Smolder intercepts messages written on scrolls, and it can be assumed that most SandWings read scrolls. Sunny, Queen Thorn, and Smolder also went into a letter room with scrolls.
SeaWings: The SeaWings read scrolls, most of which are written by Coral. Some of her work includes The Missing Princess, The Tragedy of Orca, The Claws of Murder, A Tail of Blood, and many other stories, all of which are taught in SeaWing schools. The scrolls are written with a mixture of squid ink and a little whale blood, created by Whirlpool, to make the words permanent.
SkyWings: Peril lied to Scarlet about reading about the Champion's Shield in a scroll, and Queen Scarlet replied, saying, "with claws that burn through paper right when you touch it." They also use scrolls for messaging.
List of Known Scrolls
- A Longitudinal Study of Peculiar Scavenger Behaviour — A scroll about scavenger life on Pyrrhia.
- A Natural History of Unnatural Dragon Abilities — A scroll mentioned by Starflight about dragons' strange abilities.
- Ancient Wars of Pyrrhia — A scroll owned by Darkstalker about old Pyrrhian wars. The NightWing uses his magic to make the scroll talk in the voice of Truthfinder.
- A NightWing Guide to the Dragons of Pyrrhia — The guide of the Pyrrhian dragon tribes, including drawings, descriptions, and basic information.
- A Tail of Blood — A murder mystery by Coral.
- Book of Clearsight — A book made by Clearsight which mentions possible futures along with a map of the only known travel route between the two continents, which was hidden in the back cover.
- Claws of Murder — A murder mystery by Coral.
- Dangers of the Rainforest — A scroll about the Rainforest Kingdom's dangerous animals and obstacles.
- Darkstalker's scroll — A scroll with Darkstalker's animus powers enchanted into it. It is currently destroyed, though small pieces of it have been torn off before and may still exist.
- Geography of Pyrrhia — A scroll owned by Darkstalker explaining Pyrrhia's geography.
- Goodnight, Moons — A scroll owned by Darkstalker.
- Legend of the Hive — A scroll about the first dragons that arrived at Pantala to escape from Pyrrhia.
- Myths of the Lost Continent — A scroll owned by Darkstalker about the myths of the lost continent.
- RainWings: Extermination or Enslavement? — A scroll in Mastermind's lab.
- Tales of the NightWings — A scroll with lots of stories about the NightWings' greatness.
- Ten Little Scavengers (Recipes Included!) — A scroll owned by Darkstalker.
- The Animus Histories — A scroll read by Moonwatcher about animus dragons and their enchanted objects.
- The Missing Princess — An adventure scroll inspired by the disappearance of Tsunami's egg. It is written by Coral.
- The Royal Lineage of SeaWings, from the Scorching to Present — A scroll about the SeaWing Royal Lineage.
- The Sluglike Qualities of MudWings — A scroll Clay mentions he wanted to burn. It is unknown if this scroll is real or a joke.
- The Tragedy of Orca — Coral's first scroll about her daughter, Orca, and the tragedy of her death.
- War of SandWing Succession — A scroll about the SandWing war.
- Where Are the Dragonets of Destiny — A scroll listing theories about who and where the dragonets of destiny were.
- A scroll about a blind dragon that dated back before the Scorching.
- A scroll about electric eels.
- A scroll about how Coral chose Gill for her husband.
- A scroll about Clearsight that Listener wrote about her.
- An educational scroll for very young dragonets, which contains information on the alphabet among other things.
- An old RainWing scroll in the library of Possibility.
- Many scrolls about Queen Coral's greatness.
- Scrolls about Indigo and an insignificant SeaWing gardener named Droplet, who'd discovered a secret invasion of MudWings and fought them all off before they found the hidden palaces.
- In Pantala, scrolls are never mentioned, and books are the main form of literature instead.
- In The Lost Heir (graphic novel) one of the panels shows The Missing Princess, but written differently with dots in some of the letters. This shows an example of dragon letters.