Secretkeeper is an adult female NightWing who was introduced in Moon Rising. Although she currently lives in the NightWing village among her tribemates, she is still widely considered a traitor for secretly raising her daughter Moonwatcher in the Rainforest Kingdom. She was formerly in a relationship with Morrowseer.
Secretkeeper is tall and thin. She looks similar to Moonwatcher, but without the silver teardrop scales by her eyes.
Secretkeeper seems to be caring and brave, as she hid her egg in the rainforest before it hatched. Morrowseer stated that she has a sensible head on her shoulders. She tends to be harsh whenever situations get serious, as she thought about killing whatever RainWing on sight that witnessed the hatching of Moon and how she yelled at Farsight so Secretkeeper could escape and rejoin with Moon immediately. She appears to be a good mother, often worrying about Moonwatcher and hiding her in the rainforest to keep her well-fed and healthy. Darkstalker said that she mostly worries about other dragons liking Moonwatcher, not Moonwatcher liking them. She does not typically express her emotions aloud.
The Dragonet Prophecy
|The Brightest Night|
|While the dragonets of destiny were listing off potential students that could attend Jade Mountain Academy, Secretkeeper is mentioned by Deathbringer when suggesting that Moonwatcher could attend the school.|
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|Secretkeeper first appeared in the prologue of Moon Rising, at a time before the book's events. She had hidden Moon's egg in the rainforest to protect her from the harsh and unhealthy conditions of the Night Kingdom. Secretkeeper knew Moonwatcher's egg was due to hatch, so she was on her way to the rainforest when she encountered Mastermind and Farsight in the hallway. Mastermind seemed to know what she was up to but didn't mention it. However, Farsight was under the impression that the egg had been cracked. Farsight asked if Secretkeeper needed anyone to sit with her, but the latter declined abruptly, noting that Farsight was the kind of dragon who wouldn't take it too personally and forgive her later.
After getting past Preyhunter, the guard posted on duty, she went through the tunnel. At first, Secretkeeper could not find her egg in the forest, but she eventually found it under the rays of moonlight. She noticed that the egg had changed color from the standard ebony black to a bright silver. When she saw this, Secretkeeper thought that this could be an attempt by Mastermind or Greatness to catch her, or if she had done something wrong. Then Moonwatcher emerged from the eggshell, and her mother happily observed that she was "perfect in every way," including the silver teardrop scales beside her eyes. Secretkeeper impressed upon Moon that she must stay hidden and briefly wondered if Moon could read her mind. Secretkeeper hid Moon before returning to the Night Kingdom once the guard, Preyhunter, called to her.In the first chapter of the book, Secretkeeper was taking Moon to the first day of school at the Jade Mountain Academy. They picked a spot where they could watch the entering students until they were ready. Secretkeeper never talked about Moon's father, Morrowseer, but Moon read his name in her mind. She didn't want to leave Moon at Jade Mountain but forced herself to go so Moon would be encouraged to make new friends and get away from the NightWing tribe, so that she wouldn't receive discrimination.
|She met with her daughter once again when Moon returns to the Rainforest with her companions, Qibli, Winter, and Kinkajou to warn Glory of Icicle's plot to kill the RainWing queen. When they were walking through the NightWing part of the village, Moon saw her mother, and the two embraced. Qibli and Kinkajou had longing expressions on their faces as they watched Moon and Secretkeeper hug. Winter insisted that his parents were perfect the way they are and made him a true, dignified IceWing. Secretkeeper eyed Winter and Qibli with distrust before Moon told her they were her friends.|
|Talons of Power|
|She stood with the other NightWings as Darkstalker and the other NightWings came, waiting for Moon. She then hugged Moon when she came. She was one of the few who stayed with Queen Glory while the other NightWings went with Darkstalker.|
|Darkness of Dragons|
|In the epilogue, after Darkstalker was transformed into Peacemaker, Moon, alongside some other Jade Winglet members, including Winter, returned to the rainforest. While Moonwatcher was there, she met with Secretkeeper. Her mother was asking whether she wanted to stay in school, saying that she didn't have to. Moon chose to stay anyway.|
|Secretkeeper was mentioned by Morrowseer when he was discussing with Farsight about taking her egg (Starflight) for the prophecy. He said that "she's got a sensible head on her shoulders, and she'd hand over her dragonet for a prophecy in a heartbeat." This is somewhat ironic since Secretkeeper ended up betraying NightWing law to save her egg from the grasp of her tribe. This also displays that Morrowseer likely did not know Secretkeeper very well or care about her.|
Secretkeeper is Moonwatcher's mother. She missed Moonwatcher dearly while she attended Jade Mountain Academy, and held her close when she visited Secretkeeper in the Rainforest Kingdom. She told Moonwatcher that she did not have to stay at school if she missed Secretkeeper too much.
Morrowseer is Secretkeeper's late husband. Even though Secretkeeper lacked her spouse's negative traits, they pair loved each other dearly. When their daughter was born, Secretkeeper wanted to introduce Morrowseer to Moonwatcher, but because Morrowseer was a staunch conservative, Secretkeeper decided that the less Morrowseer knew Moon the better she was off as while Morrowseer might've loved his family, he loved himself more and was too traditional to accept his potential offspring being raised off the Nightwing Island prior to the Rainforest's invasion. As a result, Morrowseer died believing that his egg with Secretkeeper had died. Morrowseer's nature along with his death was the reason why Secretkeeper refused to give Moonwatcher any info about her father aside from the fact that he didn't survive the exodus.
- "It's not the same at all! You have two surviving dragonets, and one of them is off on the continent being pampered and overfed and worshipped by the Talons of Peace. So don't try to act like you understand me!"
- ― to Farsight (Moon Rising, prologue)
- "I should have kept her with me. I shouldn't have lied to my tribe. I only wanted to protect her from that island — from the smoke and the smell and the rules and the misery, and from the constant fear that the earth will swallow us in fire at any moment. And now she's gone. This is my punishment for deceiving everyone."
- ― thoughts about Moonwatcher (Moon Rising, prologue)
- "I'm your mother, little one. I'm going to call you Moonwatcher. You're going to have the happiest life any dragon has ever had, and you're going to live forever and ever, and the volcano will never have you."
- ― to Moonwatcher (Moon Rising, prologue)
- "Stay secret. Stay hidden. Stay safe."
- ― to Moonwatcher (Moon Rising, prologue)
- "You need to stop doing that, remember? If you only hear it in your head, don't respond. No one can know about your curse. Everybody thinks NightWings don't have powers anymore. They won't know what to do with you if they find out."
- ― to Moonwatcher (Moon Rising, page 3)
- "Queen Glory is barely older than you are. I mean a real queen, someone who's ruled their tribe for years and years."
- ― to Moonwatcher about Coral (Moon Rising, page 11)
- Secretkeeper notes that her name is ironic, as she kept the secret of hiding her egg in the rainforest.
- Secretkeeper learned to block some of her thoughts from Moon sometimes.