Snowfall is large and regal, with shiny white scales. She has dark blue eyes[event 1] and curved white wings. She formerly owned a heavy metal crown, described as being too large for her head, that was studded with diamonds and metallic spikes that looked similar to icicles.[event 2] She wears a pouch around her neck that contains a copy of Qibli's enchanted earring.
According to Winter, Snowfall is "abundantly blessed with mean smugness." When Winter was raised to first circle in the Circle rankings, Snowfall was fuming and gave him a glare that "should have melted all of the ice in the palace courtyard." She also smirked at him afterwards, as if she did not expect his new ranking to last even a week. She was described to smile outwardly, but her voice was all murderous stalactites, sugary-sweet and mocking.
Despite her rough exterior, Snowfall struggles with a lot of isolationist worries, anxieties and fears. She is scared, but in a powerful, reactive way; she acts out very dramatically whenever she is upset. She has gone through enormous trauma due to the IceWing plague and her mother's death, and is heavily driven by anxiety and fear. As a new queen, Snowfall was terrified of any threat to her kingdom.[event 3]
Before her experiences with the gift of vision, Snowfall was easily annoyed, stressed, rude, cold, anxious, distrustful, and indecisive. She often felt as though being queen was similar to living inside a snowstorm that never ended. She tried her best to start each day with a list and a plan and energy to solve all of her problems, but was always buried in them before nightfall. She felt overwhelmed and pinned down by the responsibilities of being queen, and Lynx noted that Snowfall had not smiled since the beginning of the plague. She was panicked by all of the things that might go horribly wrong, and often woke up feeling more tired than she had been before. She became heavily insecure about her ability to rule due to the events of the Battle of Jade Mountain, when she was exposed to the thoughts of her subjects that were doubtful and worried about her authority as queen. She often felt a sense of suffocating dread when reminded of the gift of order, and her everyday life was full of anxiety. She was insecure and easily bored.
Snowfall's nights were long, and she felt a constant pressure inside her head, knowing the gift of order was always waiting for her and feeling as though her every move was being watched. She believed outside dragons were inherently dangerous, but still felt a twinge of guilt after sending the Pantalan refugees away from the Ice Kingdom. She felt begrudgingly sympathetic towards Hazel, and after the gift of vision transformed her into Atala, she began hoping that the SilkWing's family would remain safe. She found it difficult to accept that she cared about the Pantalan dragons or wanted to explore the Hives of Pantala.
Snowfall is still proud, imperious, sarcastic, commanding, naturally grumpy, smart, gruff, irritable, and impatient. However, she has become more empathetic and believes that other dragons were not as evil as she had once thought. She became less paranoid and afraid, protecting her tribe with strength and indomitable ferocity.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|Icicle wondered if Glacier would appreciate a reason to get rid of Icicle so she would not threaten her or her daughters.|
|When Winter scans the rankings of the IceWings in the First Circle, he notices that Snowfall has moved to the top position on the dragonet side in front of Lynx, who was in second place. When Winter is moved to take her spot, she shoots him a nasty glare that says that she hates someone else being in first place. When the IceWing dragonets are dismissed, Snowfall stays to congratulate him sarcastically and to stare at the rankings, along with Hailstorm, "as if she could reshape them with the sheer force of her eyeballs," clearly meaning that she was upset about the new rankings.|
|Darkness of Dragons|
|When Darkstalker enchanted a scroll to tell the news of the IceWings, it was revealed that Queen Glacier was dead, Snowfall had become the new queen, and that she had brought the entire IceWing army to Jade Mountain to fight the NightWings.
Snowfall, Hailstorm, and Narwhal are shown demanding the Jade Mountain staff to tell them where Darkstalker is, which they didn't know. Winter shows up, and she is shocked, looking at Hailstorm as if expecting him to disappear, then demanding to know how Winter is alive. Winter exclaims that it's not important and begins helping his friends convince her not to fight the NightWings. Before she can consider, NightWing scouts with gifts of speed appear and start attacking, throwing the discussion away and officially beginning the battle. Narwhal is killed while blocking the NightWings from her, but Snowfall keeps relatively calm throughout the battle and launches her own frostbreath attacks. She was later teleported back to the Ice Kingdom along with the other IceWings, due to Anemone's spell.In the epilogue, it is mentioned that Snowfall wanted to close the borders and isolate the Ice Kingdom but reconsiders this after she receives large amounts of letters from her tribe requesting to attend Jade Mountain Academy.
The Lost Continent Prophecy
|The Poison Jungle|
|In the epilogue, Snowfall and Jerboa III have a meeting outside of the Great Ice Cliff. Queen Snowfall's scouts have spotted hundreds of dragons on their way to Pyrrhia. These are likely the LeafWings, some SilkWings, the two HiveWings, Cricket and Bumblebee, Turtle and Tsunami. She demands that Jerboa III extends the Great Ice Cliff to prevent the "invaders" from taking her kingdom, as she became very paranoid after the plague that killed Queen Glacier and at least twenty-three of her tribemates. Jerboa III tells her that animus magic isn't currently working for anyone on the continent. To prove this, Jerboa enchants a stick to turn anything it touches green and offers it to Snowfall, who declines it. Jerboa then taps herself and a nearby rock; nothing happens, proving that magic isn't working. Snowfall becomes enraged and storms off, saying Jerboa was useless, concluding the epilogue.|
|The Dangerous Gift|
|After the plague that Darkstalker sent to the IceWings, she was furious about the event and never wanted to see any other dragon tribes again. She mostly didn't care what other queens had to say and would have isolated the tribe, but the empathy spell convinced too many of her subjects to try to reach out to other tribes.
Later, Snowfall was seen talking to Lynx over her problems, albeit the queen was stressed and angry.
Snowfall hears about the SilkWings and LeafWings flying towards her kingdom. Lynx goes with her to see these mysterious dragons. At first she thought they were SeaWings, RainWings or NightWings, but when she meets them she finds that they are from Pantala. Before they get there, she puts on some old animus enchanted items such as the Gift of Strength, the Gift of Vision and the gift of stealth. She goes with five guards, but disguises the IceWing army with that enchantment. She reveals them and flies the dragons to the Kingdom of Sand. She stays near Jerboa III's hut and has a dream about Atala, although she doesn't tell anyone about it.
Snowfall asks Lappet about the SilkWings and LeafWings a bit suspiciously. He asks her whether she has had weird dreams and she denies it. She asks him about Atala and he confirms her fears of how accurate the vision is.
She attempts to get rid of the ring in several different ways. None of them work, although Lynx notices and expresses concerns for her queen.Later on in the book, we see that Snowfall has a dream of the Forbidden Treasury, where she meets Opal and asks her if the ring was made by her. Opal confirms this, and says that it was a tool for the queens to use to be more powerful. She then proceeds to tell that Snowfall can now take off the ring, as she has finished the visions that Snowfall was experiencing. Snowfall then takes off the ring and puts it on the pedestal, and then is able to have a good night's sleep.
After Crystal's disappearance, Snowfall was constantly paranoid about Crystal conspiring against her. When she encountered her older sister in Sanctuary, Crystal was indignant and Snowfall was accusing as well as disgusted and disapproving towards Crystal's relationship with Gharial. However, after a dream from the gift of vision, Snowfall later gave Crystal her word that she would not be harmed upon entering the Ice Kingdom, and that she approved of her relationship with Gharial, making Crystal cry with happiness. She spoke to Crystal kindly before returning to the Ice Kingdom.
Snowfall and Glacier were not often in the same room as one another, but after Glacier's death, Snowfall struggled not to cry at the mention of her mother. Glacier trusted in Snowfall's ability to be a great queen, and watching Snowfall filled her with hope. After the Gift of Vision showed Snowfall how Glacier truly trusted in her daughter, Snowfall was at peace with her mother's decision.
After Snowfall discovered that animus magic was not working, she considered Jerboa to be useless and was furious when Jerboa seemed only annoyed rather than guilty when Snowfall confronted her about consorting with Luna, Moonwatcher, and Qibli. She is acid, flat, and withering towards Snowfall, and she often seems amused when Snowfall is annoyed. However, after experiencing Jerboa's life through the gift of vision, she could not imagine being angry at her anymore, and thought that she might soon visit Jerboa, just to check on her, because it seemed like she needed a friend.
Ivory is Snowfall's favorite general. She is respectful towards Snowfall, and during the Battle of Jade Mountain, Ivory was one of the only IceWings who thought supportively towards Snowfall. Snowfall trusts her, and is prepared to assign her to tasks that require responsibility. Snowfall also thought that if it was up to her, Ivory would stay in First Circle for as long as she lives.
Lynx had been Snowfall's biggest competition all throughout school and training, and Snowfall had wanted to strangle her more than a thousand times. During The Dangerous Gift, Snowfall even said she would have liked to "Drop a mountain on her." After becoming queen, Lynx treated Snowfall the way she always had, challenging Snowfall to races around the palace or arguing over points of IceWing law during class.  In the beginning of their friendship, Snowfall was often annoyed by how Lynx lacked the proper IceWing etiquette when addressing a queen. Lynx is often sympathetic towards and worried for Snowfall, and helps her calm down. She defends Snowfall against insults from others. When Snowfall woke from her first dream from the Gift of Vision, her first thought was to turn to Lynx for company. Snowfall was at first hesitant to consider Lynx a true friend, but Lynx is able to read her well and wants to listen to Snowfall's worries. Snowfall and Lynx became argumentative and angry at one another's differing viewpoints on IceWing traditions, and Snowfall accusingly thought of Lynx as being judgemental. She was irritated by Lynx's suggestions and interjections, but Lynx sounded genuinely full of joy when realizing Snowfall was safe after she fainted, and covered for Snowfall against Cricket's questions. Snowfall brought Lynx as her representative during a diplomatic meeting with the other Pyrrhian queens, and Snowfall was conflicted when it came time to choose the IceWing representative for the journey back to Pantala. She wanted Lynx to come back to the Ice Kingdom, to keep Snowfall sane and join her new council, and she trusts Lynx more than any other IceWing. She began crying during the farewell ceremony, but assured herself that Lynx would have to come back. After Lynx admitted that she was only coming back to the Ice Kingdom before the journey to hang out with Snowfall for a couple more days, Snowfall nearly beamed or burst into tears. Lynx protected her from Tundra when Snowfall destroyed the Gift of Order, and supported her decision fully, clapping immediately after Snowfall smashed the wall.
Since becoming queen, Snowfall had not interacted with her younger sister that often. Despite Mink's affection, she was typically opposed to snuggling. However, Snowfall is kind to her and put one of her wings around Mink after returning to the Ice Kingdom.
Upon meeting Sky, Snowfall thought of him as one of the strangest dragons she had ever met, but had to admit to herself that the mix of amusement and slight confusion he brought her was strangely comforting and much preferable to her typical overwhelming anxiety, and that she would not have minded being distracted by him again. After Snowfall compared her friends to friendly turtles on the inside, Sky gave her a gigantic grin. She felt very worried for him before he left for Pantala, and wanted him to be able to access the Ice Kingdom anytime he needed her. When she returned to the Ice Kingdom, Snowfall built a snow sculpture of a snail in his honor, and Lynx teased her for thinking about him so much. Once Snowfall returned to the Ice Kingdom, she realized that Sky reminded her a lot of Mink. She often finds herself enchanted by how odd and funny he is.[event 4]
Snowfall heavily distrusts and dislikes Tundra. Tundra is often frosty, disapproving, and skeptical towards Snowfall's decisions, and Snowfall typically wants to be as far away from her aunt as possible. She often barks at Tundra and orders her around. Snowfall believed that one of the key reasons she felt happier away from the Ice Kingdom was because she had not interacted with Tundra.
When they were dragonets, Winter would often argue with Snowfall or run away from her. She thought that the term "friend" was a bit of a stretch to describe her and Winter's relationship, but when Snowfall felt the gift of vision making her faint again, Winter helped her without argument or question or bewilderment. She described him as being occasionally quite smart. She also admits that a small part of her wants Winter to be happy. The two seem to be on good terms now.
- "Well, […] That was unexpected."
- ― about Winter's placement at the top of the rankings (Winter Turning, page 258)
- "There's not quite enough distance between our numbers for you to be giving me orders. Besides, I'm sure I won't be the only dragon who wants to ask Hailstorm about the Diamond Trial. Are you considering it, Hailstorm dear? With only twelve days until you're seven, I certainly hope so."
- ― to Hailstorm and Winter (Winter Turning, page 262)
- "Oh, how funny, I wouldn't have thought you'd want him to, […] Have you forgotten that the Diamond Trial must also be undertaken by a defending challenger? That's whoever is currently in first place, of course. But only one dragon can survive the Trial. Dear me, that means it'll be brother against brother, won't it? Tsk, tsk. What a conundrum for poor Hailstorm."
- ― to Winter when he says Hailstorm should try the Diamond Trial (Winter Turning, page 263)
- "Maybe not, but they might be interested in killing all of us! […] I can think of a very big scary awful dragon who was pretty recently interested in that exact thing! […] So I want you to expand the Great Ice Cliff for me, […] I want it to go all the way around, along the entire border of the kingdom. […] Something has happened. But you can't go tell Queen Thorn."
- ― to Jerboa III (The Poison Jungle, epilogue, page 298)
- "And guess what one of them saw? […] DRAGONS! Hundreds of dragons! Coming this way! Across the ocean! I don't know from where! But they're coming for my kingdom and I won't let them! Build me more Ice Cliff RIGHT NOW!"
- ― to Jerboa III (The Poison Jungle, epilogue, page 299)
- "How is that possible? […] Why is this happening NOW, just when I found you?! I NEED THAT MAGIC!"
- ― to Jerboa III, on the subject of animus magic not working (The Poison Jungle, epilogue, page 301)
- "If you can't do magic, […] then what good are you? You're completely useless!"
- ― to Jerboa III (The Poison Jungle, epilogue, page 301)
- "Me. She chose me. I'm the next queen of the IceWings. Not Crystal. She thinks I'd be the best queen. Is she right? What if she's wrong? Now I'm the one who has to protect us from the NightWings. And I'm the one who has to find a cure for this plague before any more dragons die. Queen Snowfall."
- ― thoughts after Glacier chooses her as queen (The Dangerous Gift, page 35)
- "I don't have time to feel better. My sister has gone into hiding, probably so she can kill me; animus magic is broken so I can't use it to fix ANYTHING; and there are hundreds of evil mystery dragons flying DIRECTLY AT OUR BORDER RIGHT THE HECK NOW. They will probably BE HERE BY TOMORROW. To do something NEFARIOUS, I don't know what, but PROBABLY INVOLVING MURDER! WHEN AM I SUPPOSED TO FIT A LEISURELY SWIM INTO ALL OF THAT, LYNX?"
- ― to Lynx (The Dangerous Gift, page 37-38)
- "That moment — in the middle of the battle, when an animus dragon had connected all the minds of the fighting dragons, IceWings and NightWings together — that had been one of the worst moments of her life. Because threaded through the IceWings' fear, in dragon after dragon, she'd found one particular whisper: What are we going to do without Queen Glacier? How can Snowfall possibly save us from this? She's not ready. She's a smug little monster. Our new queen is a spoiled dragonet who has no idea what to do. Why would Glacier pick her? Up until then, she'd thought maybe the tribe was proud of her. Maybe they were glad she was the sister who'd been chosen; maybe they knew how fiercely she would fight for them. Maybe when Glacier chose her, it had convinced everyone she was truly a worthy queen."
- ― Snowfall's thoughts about Anemone's empathy spell (The Dangerous Gift, page 63-64)
- "Crystal, I have made a decision. If you would like to return to the Ice Kingdom anytime, for any reason, I give you my word I will not have you killed. Wait — unless you come with an army to try and steal my throne. Then I will probably have to kill you. So I guess I mean, if you would like to return to the Ice Kingdom anytime for any not-deposing-Snowfall reason, you are welcome, and you'll be safe."
- ― to Crystal (The Dangerous Gift, page 249-250)
- "For thousands of years, it's kept all other tribes out of the Ice Kingdom. We always thought it kept us safe. I thought it was so important, I wanted to extend it all around us, so my tribe could huddle safely in our igloos and ice palaces and no one would ever be able to get through our walls of ice. But if we'd all stayed hidden in the Ice Kingdom, Darkstalker's plague would have killed us. We needed dragons from other tribes, working together, to recognize his magic and find a way to save us. We needed hybrids like Typhoon, who could cross the wall and were spared the plague, to bring us those earrings. We only survived because of our connections to the other kingdoms. And if the breath of evil comes here… if it lands in the Ice Kingdom first… we may need those connections again."
- ― Snowfall's thoughts before destroying the Great Ice Cliff (The Dangerous Gift, page 257-258)
- "What I mean is that if you spend all your time worrying about where you are on the list and who's higher than you and who's below you, you can't focus on what you do well, or how everybody can do something important or kind or clever, no matter where they are on the list. And maybe you start to think the dragons below you aren't as important or special as you are, which is silly."
- ― to Mink about the gift of order (The Dangerous Gift, page 303)
- "I hope they survive. They BETTER survive or I'm going to be SO FURIOUS at them. I hope they stop Queen Wasp and the breath of evil. I hope I see Sky and Wren again … and Sundew and Cricket and all the rest of them. I hope we're doing enough to save the world."
- ― Snowfall's thoughts about the eleven selected representatives (The Dangerous Gift, page 313)
- Snowfall was at first excited to inherit her crown from Glacier, but it became a source of frustration because it was cumbersome and too large for her.[event 5]
- Tui said to "not get too excited about a love interest" for Snowfall.[event 6]
- Out of all of the characters Tui has written, Snowfall is the least like her.[event 7]
- Mink, Crystal, and Snowfall were the three possible heirs to the IceWing throne, but Glacier chose the next heir on her deathbed in order to avoid another succession war.[event 8]
- Snowfall is the youngest queen in IceWing history.
- Swimming is one of Snowfall's favorite activities.
- Snowfall's very first act as queen was making sure that every IceWing in her kingdom received one of Qibli's enchanted earrings.
- Snowfall finds polar bear cubs cute.