Squid is obsessed with treasure, gold, and jewels, even more than fame and peace. He claims that all of the Talons are 'lame' because none of them gave him treasure. He is seen as extremely whiny and considers Ochre, Viper, and Flame as bullies, and Fatespeaker to have "lost her marbles."
In addition, he often tries to lord it over the others that his father, Nautilus, is the leader of the Talons of Peace, although this only annoys the false dragonets and usually leads to them attacking him. He is shown to be cowardly and childish when it comes to real work. Squid is frequently whiny, as he believes he is famous and gets irritable when he is not treated like it. He believes he is much too important, being the son of the leader of the Talons of Peace, to interact appropriately. He is confused and upset when Morrowseer sends him away, saying that his father is the leader of the Talons and that everyone had to treat him nicely, showing that he thinks very highly of himself.
When Morrowseer called him "small and hardly a four year old," he claimed that he "has a big personality." In fact, Squid claims that his big personality makes up for his small size.
The Dragonet Prophecy
|The Lost Heir|
|Squid was mentioned indirectly when Morrowseer mentioned they had a set of alternates.|
|The Hidden Kingdom|
|In the prologue, Squid was shown being beaten up in a practice fight with the other false dragonets. Nautilus brought him over with him when he spoke to Morrowseer, so the others wouldn't bite him. He was then revealed to be Nautilus' son. He says that the others were mean and bullied him, except for Fatespeaker, though he thinks she is weird. When Morrowseer suggested letting him be a dragonet of destiny, Squid accepted with the promise of treasure. He then ran off to tell the others how important he was. In the epilogue, he was in the NightWing Kingdom, missing his father and wondering why he had let them take him away. When Fatespeaker saw a "vision" regarding a walrus, Squid was shown to be rather irritated, throwing a leftover bone from Ochre's dinner at her.|
|The Dark Secret|
|Squid claimed that he told Fatespeaker not to wander off and he hoped that Morrowseer punished her. When the idea of replacing Fatespeaker was introduced, he asked to be the one to "push her off a cliff." He attempted to kill Starflight on Morrowseer's command but was scared off by some NightWing guards.
When Starflight attempted to persuade the SkyWing guards to change their allegiance to Blister, Squid was immediately recognized as a fraud, as he was green and male, and the soldiers had seen Tsunami in The Dragonet Prophecy, who was blue and female. After the NightWings killed the seventeen SkyWings, Squid decided that he wanted to "quit being a dragonet of destiny." In response, Morrowseer exiled him and Starflight privately thought that a SeaWing in SkyWing territory wouldn't last a day. Fatespeaker felt horrible when he left.In the epilogue, it was shown that a spy for the Talons of Peace "by some miracle" found him before the SkyWings, and ushered him to his father. Squid stated to his father and Blister that he hates NightWings.
|The Brightest Night|
|Squid was mentioned by Nautilus, as being found in the Claws of the Clouds Mountains, by one of the Talons of Peace's spies.|
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
|Squid was seen practicing his stealth approach at the Talons of Peace hideout. He startled Winter, who then threatened to rip off his tail and beat him with it. He is then sent away by Riptide for sneaking up on the guests and disobeying his orders, and flew off, muttering and whining.|
- "You're nonagoshabibble."
- ― to Morrowseer. (The Hidden Kingdom, prologue)
- "Can I be the one to push her off the cliff?"
- ― about getting rid of Fatespeaker (The Dark Secret, page 73)
- "Well, I wasn't going to eat it. We are on an island. I think someone should be able to bring me a fresh fish, considering who my father is and the fact that I'm a dragonet of destiny. I mean, really."
- ― about the NightWing carrion (The Hidden Kingdom, epilogue)
- "They nearly killed me! Just like I said they would! I quit! I don't want to be in this prophecy anymore! There's no treasure and it's boring and stupid and I'm hungry and I hate your island and I want to go home!"
- ― to Morrowseer (The Dark Secret, page 134)
- "It's not fair! It's not my fault that some other SeaWing is better than me."
- ― to Morrowseer (The Dark Secret, page 135)
- "Fine fine FINE. You know, my dad used to be the leader of the Talons of Peace. I don't know why he lets you boss him around. When he wanted to step aside, he could have let me take over, I mean, what was wrong with that plan…"
- ― to Riptide about Nautilus (Winter Turning, page 140)
Present: Abalone • Flounder • Herring • Kelp • Lagoon • Nautilus • Pearl • Piranha • Riptide • Snail • Snapper • Squid • Tempest • Tortoise • Urchin • Webs • Whirlpool