The Librarian is an adult female HiveWing who was introduced in The Lost Continent. She has spent most of her life being controlled by Queen Wasp. She took the job of the Librarian protecting and watching over the Book of Clearsight thinking it was an honor, but later found out that Wasp mind-controlled her day and night. Therefore, she never got to read or even see the Book of Clearsight in reality.
The Librarian has pale orange scales the color of unripe apricots, marked with a zigzagging triangle pattern of black along her spine and tail. She is tall and bony and wears a dark silk veil that shrouds her face as well as the key to the Book of Clearsight around her neck. When she isn't being controlled by Queen Wasp, she has dark orange eyes. She has long, retractable stingers under her claws, and is fairly large and strong.
The Librarian appears to be a kinder HiveWing, most likely due to constantly being mind-controlled by Queen Wasp. She seems to be highly disappointed with the implications of her rule to the HiveWings. None of the other HiveWings knew how badly her "work" was forced on her. Because of this, she appears to dislike Wasp, a trait which is unusual among HiveWings. She might have been a nice dragon, if anyone had been able to speak to her properly.
The Lost Continent Prophecy
|The Lost Continent|
|When Blue, Cricket, and Sundew first met The Librarian, she was under Queen Wasp's control. She fought Sundew, who was able to steal the key to the Book of Clearsight's box. Soon afterwards, Sundew freed her from the queen's mind control for the first time since she was initiated as Librarian using the pain from a bullet ant, which made the queen want to leave the Librarian's body. When she was sure the queen had left The Librarian's body, Sundew gave the Librarian plants to chew and apply to the wound, to deaden the pain. The Librarian decided to help Blue, Cricket, and Sundew steal the Book of Clearsight and get away. However, the queen started controlling the Librarian again after Sundew used something to distract the HiveWings below. The last thing Blue saw of the Librarian was Sundew fighting her.|
|The Hive Queen|
|Cricket mentioned the event with The Librarian, telling Sundew that not all HiveWings are bad, Wasp just didn't give them a choice. She later mentioned her during a discussion with Katydid.|
- "That's the one way to be sure the Librarian never reveals the Book's secrets. The tribe thinks two dragons share the Book's knowledge — but really, only the queen does, because the Librarian isn't herself anymore."
- ― Cricket speculating aloud about the Librarian (The Lost Continent, page 214)
- "Ever since the initiation ceremony. I woke up from the ritual with Queen Wasp inside my head. When she sleeps, she makes me sleep. She's always in there. I was so proud to be chosen. I never knew what it would mean — I had no idea she did this."
- ― to Cricket, about Wasp's possession of her (The Lost Continent, page 218)
- She had tried multiple times to stop Wasp's influence but was only fully free from the mind-control (for a short while) after Sundew unleashed her bullet ants.
- It is unknown how she did this, as a mind-controlled dragon cannot struggle or move on their own, and the current Librarian is always under the mind-control.
- In The Lost Continent, the words that Queen Wasp makes her say while controlling her aren't in bold, like other dragons being mind-controlled are, but this could be so that Tui could create the plot twist of The Librarian always being controlled by Queen Wasp or the othermind.
Aphid • Bombardier • Bumblebee • Cadelle • Chafer • Cricket • Dragonfly • Earthworm • Inchworm • Grasshopper • Hawker • Glowworm • Katydid • Librarian • Lubber • Malachite • Midge • Pinacate • Rootworm • Sandfly • Treehopper • Weevil