Vigilance was shown to be very paranoid, as she often killed dragons long before they ever became a significant threat to her tribe. This is shown when she hired Quickdeath to kill Darkstalker when Allknowing gave her a prophecy predicting Darkstalker killing her. She is merciless, having no guilt about trying to wipe out an entire tribe. However, she seemed to be very trusting of seers (such as Clearsight and Allknowing), and it was stated that it would not have been hard for a seer to manipulate her. She was known to be very ambitious, and sometimes even greedy. She may have been hard to please, as Clearsight mentioned on her first day of school that she would evaluate all her potential seers and she would not be happy with them. However, her seers are not nearly as powerful as Clearsight, and so that sentiment is understandable. Vigilance often used her power as queen to get seers to describe her possible deaths. It was stated that she had a public prison, where she put prisoners on display. She seemed to care about her job as queen and enjoy the power. She evidently held some contempt or hatred for IceWings, as shown by Clearsight's visions of Vigilance carrying out the genocide of the IceWings. In addition, she was not comfortable around obvious hybrids, as she excluded Whiteout from invitations to her court.
The Jade Mountain Prophecy
She was mentioned in the scroll The Animus Histories as the NightWing queen Darkstalker planned to overthrow.
When Darkstalker showed Moonwatcher and Kinkajou around the lost city of night, they looked at Queen Vigilance's caves. Darkstalker mentioned that he was surprised the Queen was able to take a lot of the treasure with her when she fled.
A self-created illusion of Clearsight mentioned to Darkstalker that he could not be King since Queen Vigilance rules the NightWings.
In Darkstalker, Vigilance was the queen of the NightWings. When Arctic told her that his son, Darkstalker, was an animus, she brought Fathom to the Night Kingdom to help Darkstalker learn to be more careful with his powers. She hired Clearsight as a seer to help her win the war against the IceWings. When Allknowing told Queen Vigilance about Darkstalker's plan to take the throne, she attempted to have him assassinated. She presumably fled to the NightWing Island with her tribe after Clearsight's warning.
Vigilance was briefly mentioned when Foeslayer thought about the magic bracelets the IceWings possessed, and how she sent four members to their kingdom so that they would reveal that they had four magic bracelets, not three, as they claimed.
- "Ah, […] Seers. Always so illuminating. You may speak."
- ― to Clearsight (Darkstalker, page 218)
- "Yes, […] Very poetic. But I don't recall anything about an underwater attack focused on North Beach in the next month."
- ― to Allknowing, comparing her prophecy to Clearsight's prophecy (Darkstalker, page 219)
- "You work for me now. Move into the palace tonight."
- ― to Clearsight (Darkstalker, page 220)
- "Call a war council meeting. […] I want everything you know about this attack written out by morning."
- ― to a NightWing general and Clearsight (Darkstalker, page 220)
- "Hmm, […] And of all my death scenes, which comes the soonest?"
- ― to Clearsight (Darkstalker, page 305)
- Vigilance is not susceptible to flattery, and any compliments make her highly suspicious.
- Darkstalker viewed Vigilance's behavior as anxious and shortsighted instead of shrewd as most other dragons did.