Whiteout was a female NightWing-IceWing hybrid who was introduced in Darkstalker (Legends). She and her family lived in the Night Kingdom, but she was considered unusual among the NightWing tribe (even earning the teasing nickname "Weirdout" from Listener while attending school) and it was mentioned by Darkstalker that she thought in colors and wavelengths instead of words. With the exception of Thoughtful, her speech was also typically incoherent to other dragons. She was a skillful painter, and it was mentioned in Darkstalker (Legends) that most of her pieces depicted the NightWing and IceWing tribes as companions instead of enemies. She was in a relationship with Thoughtful and it is unknown what happened to her after the events of Darkstalker (Legends)', though it was confirmed she lived a happy life with Thoughtful and her dragonets after the events by Tui.
Many dragons considered Whiteout to be extremely beautiful. Unlike her brother Darkstalker, she shows obvious signs of a hybrid. The scales on her body were black with hints of dark sapphire blue. Her wings were an icy bluish-white, identical in color to the spikes all along her back. Her sharp curved claws also shared this color. Upon her wing membranes, she had a scattering of jet black scales, rather than of silver scales like those of a typical NightWing. She had striking pale blue eyes and a narrow, elegant, diamond-shaped head, which are most likely descended traits from her father Prince Arctic.
Whiteout was very strange and different from the other dragons in her tribe by the way she thought and talked. As King Darkstalker described in Darkstalker (Legends) she thinks unlike anyone else he has seen, because she thinks in colors and emotions, not words and pictures. She is seemed to be unaware of other dragons' distaste and hatred for her, however, she continues to treat everyone kindly, even though others might not have returned this favor.
Whiteout has a neurological phenomenon called Associative Synesthesia, which Tui has confirmed. Associative Synesthesia is when a stimulation of one sense (as of sound) leads to a stimulation of another (as of color). This was demonstrated when Whiteout referred to Clearsight as "azure on the inside," most likely associating the color blue with good, as she used blue in most of her paintings, and that her brother's soul had no spots, but "Only stripes!". Clearsight noted that Whiteout either trusted completely or not at all. Whiteout was shown to be a caring and kind dragon, and she appeared to be an optimist. This is shown from her paintings of her family, which made them appear less dysfunctional than they really were. She cared a lot for her brother. She seemed to be very emotional, as shown during her parent's fight at the beginning of Darkstalker (Legends), as well as when Darkstalker enchanted Arctic near the end to obey every command he says, as shortly after Darkstalker forced Arctic to disembowel himself, she was shown to be standing behind him with her eyes closed and tears running down her face, with her wings laying at her sides like "broken leaves".
Whiteout also seemed to have a rather esoteric mindset, as she has stated she believes that everyone shares a collective brain, and that her knowledge has already been distributed across the rest of the world. It also seems that blue is a good color to her as she views it as happy. She paints most of her paintings with blue. It is hinted that her descendant, Princess Sunny got some of her personality from Whiteout.
Whiteout and Darkstalker were in the same clutch of eggs, but Darkstalker's egg hatched first, on a night with three full moons. Whiteout's egg didn't hatch until the next day when the moons were no longer full.
Whiteout is first seen in their home, trying to block out the sound of her parents' argument with her wings. Darkstalker comes in and comforts her, before jutting into his parents' frenzied quarrel.
She was later seen at the NightWing school beside Clearsight, accompanied by Darkstalker. During the afternoon, Whiteout approached Clearsight to talk to her. Listener, who is beside Clearsight, tells her about how strange Whiteout is and refers to her as "Weirdout" as she approaches them.
Clearsight sees Whiteout again later, walking and mumbling to herself. Whiteout accidentally walked right over a game of marbles and scattered them everywhere. The NightWings then started yelling at Whiteout before Darkstalker “materialized out of the shadows,” and stopped them. When he told Whiteout why the dragons were upset and asks her to apologize, she responded with, "Oh, I thought the marbles represented chaos theory and I was just another unpredictable whim of the universe."
During dinner when Arctic reveals Darkstalker is an animus, Whiteout referred to Clearsight as 'azure on the inside' and says "That's all right; he's not going to snow for a while," about Darkstalker's soul. This means that Clearsight is good, and Darkstalker will stay good for a little longer.
After Clearsight and Darkstalker frantically flew to his home to find Foeslayer, Whiteout is found keening, as if in pain, in the living room, where she had been for the past hour. Clearsight and Darkstalker comforted her.
At Queen Vigilance's glass jubilee festival, Whiteout played scales-and-squares along with Darkstalker and Fathom at the game area. There, she meets Thoughtful when Clearsight introduces Whiteout to him. According to Clearsight, Thoughtful and Whiteout were destined for great love together. When Whiteout first saw Thoughtful, she commented on how shiny his scales were and talked about his glass sculpture in her funny way of speaking. Thoughtful seemed to understand everything she was saying and was surprised and delighted that someone "saw the pieces of scroll inside the waves" in his glasswork. Thoughtful then challenged Whiteout to a game of Scroll Tower, which she gladly accepted, saying that he was going to die of awe.
One morning, Whiteout is found lying awake with a new necklace and talking uncharacteristically normally, which she thinks does not sound right. She is then brought by her father, Arctic, across the Kingdom of Sand towards the Ice Kingdom before being stopped by Darkstalker. She explains to him that she wants to go with Arctic, and that she always hated Darkstalker, at which point Darkstalker realizes her necklace is enchanted by Arctic so that Whiteout will follow him. Darkstalker then writes a spell to make Arctic obey his every order and commanded him to smash the necklace he enchanted. Rather dazed, Whiteout then flew back to the Night Kingdom and was present for her father's rather violent self-disembowelment. After Arctic died, she is shown crying and being comforted by Thoughtful.
When Sunny comes out of the tunnels with Clay, Darkstalker mentions that Sunny must be descended from his sister Whiteout, because her father, Stonemover, was an animus and Darkstalker did not have dragonets.
Darkstalker is Whiteout’s brother. They are both very caring toward each other, though in different ways. Darkstalker also at one point pretended to stand up for Whiteout to impress Clearsight. Whiteout is one of the few dragons Darkstalker loves the most, along with Foeslayer and Clearsight.
Whiteout is shown to have a mutually friendly relationship with Clearsight. When Arctic was killed by Darkstalker, Clearsight and Whiteout are shown comforting one another before Clearsight steals Darkstalker's Scroll and flies away to Agate Mountain.
Thoughtful was Whiteout's love interest after she noticed details about Thoughtful's glass sculptures no one had before. Thoughtful comforts Whiteout after Prince Arctic's “suicide”.
Family Tree Edit
|Princess Snowfox†||Prince Arctic†||Foeslayer|
"It's something, [...] You got colder and harder all along here."
"Oh, I thought the marbles represented chaos theory and I was just another unpredictable whim of the universe. I did not intend to disrupt your faith in controllable outcomes."
"Did you? [...] Yell at me?"
"Tangerine. Probability. Spelunking." - When she is saying random words to Thoughtful. These could possibly be about the bits of scrolls he put in his glassblowing.
"I think you should teach me glassblowing, and I should teach you clarity."
"Amazing. You are going to die of awe."
"WINNER! Empress of all scales and queen of all squares! Weep for your tokens, adversaries!"
"Definitely azure on the inside. I like the way she knits." - About Clearsight.
"Clearsight has your scroll. She said to tell you she'll meet you at Agate Mountain." - To Darkstalker
"I'm grateful to be unfrozen, but I'm sorry for winning." - When Whiteout gets released from Prince Arctic's spell.
"In this turn of the hourglass, yes. But when I crush you with my heart piece, then everything flips." - While playing scales-and-squares after Darkstalker said he was winning at life.
"You made the Cascade of Dreams. Words and glass, spun flutes and verse. Waterfalls of language in fire-blown claws." - when Whiteout meets Thoughtful
"Oh no. It's too late. The sand is falling." - Whiteout after she was freed from Arctic's spell.
"Only stripes!" - Referring to Darkstalker saying he has no spots on his soul.
"Only one of us will, depending on who loses the future." - Whiteout to Darkstalker.
"That's all right, he's not going to snow for a while." - About Darkstalker's animus magic, probably talking about the Soul Reader. Also probably talking about how Darkstalker is not evil yet.
"It's too late. The sand is falling." - When Darkstalker begins to go insane, probably talking about the Soul Reader.
"Only one of us will, depending on who loses the future." - To Darkstalker about seeing Foeslayer again.
"The hole is too big. We're going to fall into it forever." - When Darkstalker begins to go insane.
"You're the one going into the wild." - To Darkstalker as he is preparing to go to the party where he will meet Fathom.
"Tangerine. Probability. Spelunking." - Refers to the NightWing Island, the future home of the NightWings. (Tangerine refers to the lava, Probability refers to the unpredictability of the volcano, and Spelunking means the exploration of caves.)
"In this turn of the hourglass, yes. But when I crush you with my heart piece, then everything flips." - While playing scales-and-squares after Darkstalker said he was winning at life. (hourglass - soul reader. heart piece - their love for each other.)
- A whiteout is a storm in which it is very hard to see because of heavy snowfall.
- Her name can also be referring to correction tape, but based on the books’ setting, it’s only a coincidence.
- Whiteout is the third confirmed and named hybrid that has appeared in the series, the second being her brother, Darkstalker, the first being Princess Sunny, although there has also been a fourth and fifth hybrid, Typhoon, an IceWing-SeaWing hybrid, who appeared in Darkness of Dragons, and the fifth, Peacemaker, (Darkstalker) a NightWing-RainWing hybrid.
- Whiteout has illustrated many drawings of NightWings and IceWings living peacefully together, all drawn in shades of blue, which hints that she wishes that her family, or the tribes they are from, could live peacefully together despite their differences. It is also stated she has painted the three moons, constellations, and the night sky, which shows her love of painting and might also hint at a delicately crafted metaphor on the NightWings and IceWings. Darkstalker told Clearsight he called it Whiteout's Wishful Thinking series.
- In Talons of Power, Sunny is confirmed to be descended from Whiteout. Whiteout had eggs with Thoughtful, who was shown to be destined to be with her, according to Clearsight's vision. This is the only known possible way for the NightWings to have inherited the animus gene, considering Darkstalker never had dragonets before Clearsight gave him the animus-touched bracelet that had sent him into his two thousand year sleep. This is further proven when Darkstalker admits it in Talons of Power.
- Whiteout once said that Clearsight was "azure on the inside." This could imply that she is good inside, which would explain why Whiteout does most of her paintings in shades of blue (blue means 'good' to her). She also said 'I like the way she knits' about Clearsight, which could possibly mean the way she looks through the threads of timelines, similar to knitting.
- Whiteout once said to Darkstalker, "Only one of us will, depending on who loses the future" about reuniting with Foeslayer. This prophecy-like statement was foreseeing Darkstalker and Foeslayer's reunion in Darkness of Dragons.
- Tui recently confirmed that Whiteout has the same powers as Darkstalker does. However, since she was born a day later than expected, her powers were pushed "deep inside." This is shown when she tells Darkstalker "he's not going to snow for a while," hinting he will eventually turn evil. This also could hint at the fact that he used white sand in his soul reader to represent bad, as well as him becoming like Arctic. It is also shown that she has mind reading when she refers to the fact that Clearsight knits, meaning how she sees all of the possible paths and puts them together in her mind.
- Whiteout is the first dragon shown to own a toy.
- She is also the third dragon shown to have artistic talents, the first being Fathom and the second being Mightyclaws.
- Tui confirmed Whiteout lived a happy life with Thoughtful and her dragonets after the events of Darkstalker: Legends.
- Whiteout is the first dragon in the series known to have a neurological phenomenon, as she possesses associative synesthesia, which can be a tricky concept to explain or to grasp on paper. Watching this video and this video may be helpful in your understanding of what it's like to have associative synesthesia.
- Being the granddaughter of Queen Diamond, Whiteout could legally challenge her for the throne and become queen of the IceWings.
- Whiteout may be able to see further into the future than Clearsight, as she can see 2,000 years forward to when Darkstalker and Foeslayer reunite, while Clearsight only sees about 1,000 years into Pantala’s future.